Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally bought it for my brother, arn't I a good sister? :-}, but he bought another car (a chevy mind you!) and was threatening to junk the Bronco since he couldn't get it going so I took it back and am fixing it up for my girlfriend! He said the one time he did have it going that it ran alright, that it just ran like a tractor up hills, lost alot of power. Now, I can't get her started again. Cranks, but just dosn't wanna catch. When I bought the two broncos, this one had been 2-4 years, I don't remember, and my brother didn't bother to drain any of the fluids..ran on the old gas, could that effect it?

·
#1 Asshole
1,452 Posts
I originally bought it for my brother, arn't I a good sister? :-}, but he bought another car (a chevy mind you!) and was threatening to junk the Bronco since he couldn't get it going so I took it back and am fixing it up for my girlfriend! He said the one time he did have it going that it ran alright, that it just ran like a tractor up hills, lost alot of power. Now, I can't get her started again. Cranks, but just dosn't wanna catch. When I bought the two broncos, this one had been 2-4 years, I don't remember, and my brother didn't bother to drain any of the fluids..ran on the old gas, could that effect it?
Yes old gas can affect it. we will need more info on it to try to help you any. what year, engine, transmission.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Izzy, remember that you need 2 thing to run the motor: spark and fuel. You can pull a spark plug, put it back in the wire and ground the base of the plug to the motor, have someone turn the key to start, and see if you get a spark across the plug gap. Assuming that works, you have a fuel delivery problem. That will either be one of the two fuel pumps on the 88 Bronco, or an electrical problem to the pumps like a bad relay or fuse. IF the gas has been stting in the tank for more than a few months, it's prolly bad and should be drained/siphoned out before trying to start the Bronco. JSM84

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
I'd start off with some new gas and perhaps a new primary filter (on the drivers side frame rail)------assuming you have 'spark'. Then see what happens..........

·
Registered
413 Posts
My 88 was sitting for 5+ years when I bought her, I swapped both pumps and the filter and pick up screen. started up the very first time.. I would start with fuel system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts