Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
92 xlt302

Last week i sprung a leak in the top rad hose and replaced. Now whenever i turn on the heat or a/c i can smell antifreeze in the cabin. Could this be from spilling so much in the engine compartment or something or is it just a wonderful coincidence that it sprung a leak and my heater core decided to go all within 24 hrs?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
is you engine still running normal? if not you should check to see if you have any coolant in the throttle body or intake, sounds like my t-bird when i blew the head gasket, I smelt the same thing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it runs perfectly fine. Thanks though. Im just hoping i dont have to pull the heater core out.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Heater core is a piece o cake. I, do to dumb mistakes, have replaced mine twice in the last 3 months. And I am a rook so if I can do it in like 20 minutes, you can do it. Plus they are cheap...$18-20.

·
Super Moderator
25,859 Posts

·
Call Me Ace
1,953 Posts
core is easy- just make sure youve got some liquid gasket to put the box back together.
it could be beacuse you leaked so much into the engine compartment- its sucking the smell into the a/c...
ace

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Same smell as mine. 3 heater cores in 3 years. Wasn't there somethig about over pressure at high RPM?? The fix was an orrifice on the inlet side??

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Probably your heater core, if so just run your fingers along the bottom of the heater core compartment and feel the carpet to see if it is damp, if that is inconclusive, you can alwayus put paper towels below the heater core so you can easily spot a leak. First off though, I would check to see that your heater hose clamps are tight.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
If you have the plastic tanks on the sides of the radiator, check that you didn't pop a seam when you were getting the old hose off. I managed to do that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man i dont get it. The carpets not wet, nor is there any smell whatsoever anywhere including under the dash or near the glovebox. Only odor is from the vents and it seems to dissappear if you open the hood. Yet, i cant find any leaks anywhere under the hood.

·
Registered
869 Posts
sounds like you just need to wash the engine. it usally takes about 2 weeks or so for that crap to come off, and the smell will be gone.:popc1:

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
check directly under the radiator, along the core support. I didn't find my leak until I was under the front of the truck looking up.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
pjmorgan22 said:
Well, looks like I do have something else going on....core #3 leaking......:banghead
Last time I bought a heater core (FWIW it came from AutoZone) I was just goofing around and I blew smoke (was still smoking cigs back then) through the core inlet tube and when I put my thumb over the exit nipple the smoke was blowing out a pin hole in the heat exchange area itself.....it was a bad core bought BRAND new from the store.....needless to say....now I always check them, and I use the smoke method....but not cigarette smoke:goodfinge

·
Super Moderator
25,859 Posts
Streetgang, do you use the Vacutec Smoke Machine?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
miesk5 said:
Streetgang, do you use the Vacutec Smoke Machine?
No.....just the good old lungs that gave me about 45 years ago........they still work very well! I been off cigarettes for about 9 or 10 months now!

Now.....usually I just get one of the other guys in the shop to blow some smoke through just to be sure. I dont do that much hands on work anymore unless its on one of my rides.

·
Super Moderator
25,859 Posts
great DIY tip SG
Good to hear you were able to quit the smokes!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts