Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
September 15 FOTM
1,482 Posts
so back in September i sold my 95 and bought a 92 f250 with the idi diesel. now the 250 is a 4x4 but with its wheel base and weight not really the best for trails plus i didnt want to beat my daily and work truck off road. so i have been watching craigslist for a cheap 78-79 to use as a backup truck and a trail truck. since i want it for trails i wasnt to concerned about rust i just wanted the rest of the truck to be fairly solid and the floors solid enough to be fixable so i dont get water coming in. about a month ago i saw a really rusty beat 78 for sale on facebook i really liked the patina and the name on the door so i figured if its cheap enough it would be worth looking at. when i messaged him he said he had a drivable 78 also and he would sell both for 3,000. couple weeks later when i got back to florida i rented a u haul and drove to the other coast to look at them. i was going to drive the blue one back and trailer the parts truck, but the blue one wasnt ready for a 3 hour drive with like 50 miles between gas station and like 100 between parts stores. so i had to make 2 trips about 600 miles total.

my friends have named its grits because of the front license plate

and then the parts truck "old number 7"

so the blue truck hasnt been registered since 2006. the last owner was a old lady who probably never used it. the guy i bought it from has multiple 79-79 broncos and just used it around the yard and occasional mud run. it starts really fast, faster than my 95 did. the only leaks are the rear axle and rear break lines. the motor has 0 leaks and looks like it was rebuilt at somepoint since it was fresh paint. i have not been able to go faster than idle though because it starves for fuel. the guy told me the carb on it is junk and gave me a holley to replace it which i am doing now. but i think the fuel pump is bad to becuase it cant fill the clear filter before the carb. so im replacing that tomorrow. right now its running on a boat tank in the cab because the fuel lines for the original are rusted, thats how the po has ran it since he bought it. i dropped the tank today and it had about 5 gallons of atleast 10 year old brown gas. the tanks going to need a good cleaning but its savable i think.
right now i plan on getting it running and some what reliable. than im going to fix the rust in the important spots and stop the rest from getting worse. from there lift, sliders, cage and bumpers. im decent at welding but im going to have to get a bigger welder so i can do the thicker steel

only rust on the entire floor

and some of old number 7

there is signatures all over the dash and headliner

angelo190471's Library | Photobucket
heres all the pictures. these are more for me, i wanted to be able to see how much has changed

·
Super Moderator
14,925 Posts
nice..I dig the diamond plate fender flares on old #7...at least you got a solid motor in it..that's a good start..good luck with all the rust..looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

·
September 15 FOTM
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice..I dig the diamond plate fender flares on old #7...at least you got a solid motor in it..that's a good start..good luck with all the rust..looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
they both have the same length coils, i think stock height. but becuase of those fenders old # 7 was running like 40" tires!

·
Super Moderator
14,925 Posts
yeah someone went to work with the sawzall on old # 7's fenders...:toothless

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,821 Posts
Be lucky to buy just the blue one up here for 3k. Good find and should be a good project. You have less rust to deal with then I did. Should be fairly easy to fix what you do have.

·
September 15 FOTM
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont even know where to start on this 4 barrel holley rebuild my neighbors helping me tomorrow. I replaced the fuel pump and its still not right. I think the timing also wrong. When i put this holley on i will check again

·
Registered
505 Posts
you could be better off with a brand new carb .. timing could be off it happens .. you said it looks rebuilt so timing chain could have been installed wrong .

·
September 15 FOTM
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you could be better off with a brand new carb .. timing could be off it happens .. you said it looks rebuilt so timing chain could have been installed wrong .

Ita not that recent of a rebuild, it was the guy before the person i bought it from. He has pictures of it at a mud run so it was running couple months ago. Im going to try the rebuild holley but its rought and i kinda doubt its going to work but my neighbor says it will.
Whats a good carb for these? One that will do decent on steep hills

·
September 15 FOTM
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so the holleys almost rebuilt, i just need one float spring.
Figured out the rough running. All the wires on the distributor were off by one. Runs good now, the carb doesnt feel right though. I can get it to backfire through the carb if i floor it fast.
It feels really low on power but it probably has stock gears ad 36x14.5s so that would probably cause it. It does do a burnout though lol.
My new steel break lines came in also so im going to have working breaks

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Did you check the timing with a timing light?

·
September 15 FOTM
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Got the holley on it runs pretty good now except same as with the other carb when the secondarys open it pops from the carb. I checkes the timing with the light and its right on the marker line from the po. Idk what that is i cant read the marks on the distributor. So im going tp have to check where his line is.

I put the street tires from old #7 on my truck so i can drive it without worring about the old super swampers. Also with the smaller tires i can see how it feels with the right gears

·
Registered
358 Posts
Great find for the price- those floors look very solid and only needing minimal patching, witch is great. Should be a great platform for a trail truck! Look forward to watching this develop.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
wamp wamp waammmp. that sucks man.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts