Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across this picture today......

The angle cut on the quarters between the tire and bumper jumped out at me. (or is it just bent?) Looks pretty cool. Is this a common mod on Broncos? My quarters already have some serious hackary done to them, so making such a mod wouldn't involve cutting up good metal. What do people do about a rear bumper with that sort of mod though?

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
If you have an aftermarket or custom rear bumper, then it can gain you some departure angle. If you are still stock in the back then its purely aesthetic, because the factory bumper hangs lower then the quarter panels anyway.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Came across this picture today......

The angle cut on the quarters between the tire and bumper jumped out at me. (or is it just bent?) Looks pretty cool. Is this a common mod on Broncos? My quarters already have some serious hackary done to them, so making such a mod wouldn't involve cutting up good metal. What do people do about a rear bumper with that sort of mod though?
This is a common mod, though it usually is done straight cut. Let me go find a pic.

In this pic you can see that the lower 3.5-4" is now gone, straight across to go with the lines of the body. I like this better if you are planning larger tires as well. I was able to move my rear back 1" in part due to this trimming all the way over to the rear part of the rear wheelwell.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a common mod, though it usually is done straight cut. Let me go find a pic.

In this pic you can see that the lower 3.5-4" is now gone, straight across to go with the lines of the body. I like this better if you are planning larger tires as well. I was able to move my rear back 1" in part due to this trimming all the way over to the rear part of the rear wheelwell.

Nice. I like it! The whole truck, not just the mod.

Thumbs up

·
Registered
208 Posts
Those are aftermarket fiberglass rear quarter panels, made for the go-fast bronco's. Those panels are also wider, there flared out up to 4" wider then stock sheet metal. I cut the lower 4" off my rear quarter off mine for more clearance and a cleaner look on mine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This is on my list of future mods. That way a rear tube bumper will match the lines of my front.

Quick question... Do most people just cut the rocker straight across? Cut and fold the lip? Cut and weld in some round stock? Something else? Any pics of the under/back side would be greatly appreciated.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
for me, this was a careful cut with "I think" a fine tooth metal blade to actually do little more than sand, and retouch the bottom. No rolling of end.

With a rear tube bumper you can wrap that bumper and reinforce it to bring it around and protect the bottom, that's been done.

·
Registered
208 Posts
very nice...i might have to pull out my trusty sawzall!!
There's a bit more to it then just "sawzalling it". I prefer to use a cut-wheel and use some tape as a guideline for the outside sheetmetal. There is a lot of "structure" you have to deal with on the backside, so it's not a easy cut and chop. I used a plasma and alot of clean up with a grinder and flap disk.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those fiberglass deals are pretty cool for desert racing and such, but they're a total no-go where I live. The FSB is already too wide for most trails.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Runnin Broke, i've searched but don't seem to find...is there a write up on this or do people just start cutting and deal with what they find on the back side?
i have a little rust on the drivers side that this little mod would remove...
i've got a plasma cutter and a cutoff wheel as well, which is better? i'm thinking the plasma would mess up the paint while cutting???

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
How would they work for daily driving? Would be nice to use to replace my rusted quarters
Many people run them on there DD. They are normaly held on with duzit fasteners but i went a step further and panel bonded mine on for a smoother more permeant quarter.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Those fiberglass deals are pretty cool for desert racing and such, but they're a total no-go where I live. The FSB is already too wide for most trails.

Agreed, if I had fiberglass on the trails I run I'd be missing half my truck by now :histerica

·
Registered
208 Posts
There's actually a lot of structure ALL OVER the body tub. The UNreinforced areas are rare.

But the beam across the t/g threshold & up the jambs is pretty heavy, FOR A REASON. Cutting it off just to change the body lines isn't wise since it substantially weakens the bedwalls, which could be catastrophic in a roll.
http://supermotors.net/registry/media/1039307
It may also allow the spare tire carrier to do more damage than normal.
I agree it's not the best option for most rigs. I already had damage to my driver side quarter and it wasn't going to get any better on the trails I run, so I opted to cut it off and gain a few "s of clearance. I was already in the process of building a new rear bumper I designed for better clearance, so it worked out nicely. I will be installing a roll cage in it this winter so I will be cutting, drilling and welding a few more times on my precious bronco:rockon

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
There's actually a lot of structure ALL OVER the body tub. The UNreinforced areas are rare.

But the beam across the t/g threshold & up the jambs is pretty heavy, FOR A REASON. Cutting it off just to change the body lines isn't wise since it substantially weakens the bedwalls, which could be catastrophic in a roll.
http://supermotors.net/registry/media/1039307
It may also allow the spare tire carrier to do more damage than normal.
looking at your picture i dont see a problem with trimming the lower portion of the rear quarter panel off ? the supports that are in the area look to be there to reinforce that portion thats being cut off so it wouldnt be needed anyway . the spare is reinforce in the area that its bolted to . i have seen plenty of rolled broncos/trucks on its side wich damages the side of the truck . a top side roll well the whole top collapses wich is where a roll cage would come in handy anyway .

to each his own

·
Registered
50 Posts

Nice looking truck. It does not look out of place either.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts