Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok,my truck has a 6 inch lift,i changed all u-joints(3 total)got the right ones.on the rear shaft and when i was done and put it into drive or rev. i got this clunk.then i was driving home from work and she felt like she was breaking up.i limped her home,put it rev. and clunk then pop and the rear shaft dropped from the cv head.then when i took the shaft off at the rear end.there was no needle bearings in the u-joint caps.i bought this truck with lift on it already and looks as if its been on for a lot of years.could all this be due to just wore out parts(yolks and drive shaft) or is this more or could this be the drive shaft angle

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
are you still running the factory cv?if so, pinion angle should point directly to the t-case.
my '78 had a similar problem....the blocks that were in it did not sit perfectly flat on the spring pads.....after driving it a while, the axle twisted so much from the torque, it mangled up the spring perches.i had to grind the blocks down flat and get new perches welded in.
bottom line....make sure your axle isn't wrapping when you accelerate....the movement will blow u-joints.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
ok,my truck has a 6 inch lift,i changed all u-joints(3 total)got the right ones.on the rear shaft and when i was done and put it into drive or rev. i got this clunk.then i was driving home from work and she felt like she was breaking up.i limped her home,put it rev. and clunk then pop and the rear shaft dropped from the cv head.then when i took the shaft off at the rear end.there was no needle bearings in the u-joint caps.i bought this truck with lift on it already and looks as if its been on for a lot of years.could all this be due to just wore out parts(yolks and drive shaft) or is this more or could this be the drive shaft angle
If the joints you took off weren't trashed the way you describe, then nothing in the truck would trash the new ones, right? Did you overtighten the straps at the differential? They have a specified torque, and it's not that high. If you collapse the cap the needle bearings will be destroyed in just a few feet of driving. You say the shaft came apart on the CV end, sounds like you didn't tighten that properly or possibly assembled it wrong. It's pretty easy to screw up a CV joint on reassembly. If it were mine, I'd be taking a look at these types of things instead of assuming something in the truck is out of whack.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the joints you took off weren't trashed the way you describe, then nothing in the truck would trash the new ones, right? Did you overtighten the straps at the differential? They have a specified torque, and it's not that high. If you collapse the cap the needle bearings will be destroyed in just a few feet of driving. You say the shaft came apart on the CV end, sounds like you didn't tighten that properly or possibly assembled it wrong. It's pretty easy to screw up a CV joint on reassembly. If it were mine, I'd be taking a look at these types of things instead of assuming something in the truck is out of whack.
i had put a new cv in and had the cv put together by a mechanic and this is not the first time this has happened.i have had it drop 3 times at the rear end over the summer,and yes i did torque it.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
i had put a new cv in and had the cv put together by a mechanic and this is not the first time this has happened.i have had it drop 3 times at the rear end over the summer,and yes i did torque it.
Sounds like time to post up some pics so we can see what the failure looks like. Try to post up some pics with the shaft installed. A 6" lift shouldn't give you any problems, it might take some detective work to figure out what's going on. What kind of slop do you have in the yokes (side to side, in and out)? Does the pinion point directly at the tcase (+/- a couple degrees)? What shape is your tranny/tcase mount in?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
That was an important piece of information, don't you think?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts