Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heys guys well i got a nice little treat today in my back yard theres these two Foxes, Well I wlaked over to them and they arent scared one bit i walked over to the landscaping hedge that they have been laying in for the past couple days and noticed theres a female pregnant FOX, So of course i want them to stay there and keep them safe from lawn mowers and shit, and i want them not to be disturbed, so what do you think should i put out some food for them because they let me get close or should i just keep my distance and let them be wild animals i need some advise here because i want her to have the babys safley here, so does anyone have any advise what so ever??????????

·
Original FSB.COM Owner
9,560 Posts
i wouldnt want anything to happen to them either but neither would i want anything to happen to my family, they could have disease or rabies etc, i'd look in the yellow pages and see if there is one of those wildlife refuge things close by that could come get them and take care of them, if you do leave them there though i dont think i would feed them, just let them be, they know how to take care of themselves, unless of course they were someones pet at one time (hey it happens) and they dont know anything about the wild

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
In most states it's illegal to feed wild animals. I know how you feel about it but if you get them used to eating from you the next person they try to get a bit of food from may just put a bullet in them. I thhink it best just to let them continue being wild animals.

There was a write up in our local paper today about a bunch of tree huggers up in arms because game and fish had to kill 3 coyotes. People had been feeding them and they had lost their fear of humans. That's a sure way around these parts to get a critter killed.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Feeding wild animals is illegal in all states (if you get caught doing it here in Fl, they'll hang ya' ), and very unsafe for them for many different reasons.

As for keeping them safe, is this place in town, outskirts, township areas?

If it were me, I'd let wild animals be wild animals in this situation, you don't want these types of animals being dependant of humans for any reason, never ends well for them.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Swampwalker3 said:
Feeding wild animals is illegal in all states (if you get caught doing it here in Fl, they'll hang ya' ), and very unsafe for them for many different reasons.
it isnt illegal in all states. In michigan we are legally aloud to feed them for recreational viewing purposes.

But i would let them be wild, then once the babies are born they will be self sufficent so you wont have to worry about them coming in your house or something trying to find food because they cant find it on their own.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
The foxes are naturally wild. I wouldn't feed them, whether it's legal or illegal. They do fine when in a wilder habitat, so I'd just leave them alone. When the kits are born and able to move out on their own, they'll leave.

At most, I'd try to do whatever is possible to see that they aren't disturbed.

·
Registered
854 Posts
84brownbronco said:
it isnt illegal in all states. In michigan we are legally aloud to feed them for recreational viewing purposes.

But i would let them be wild, then once the babies are born they will be self sufficent so you wont have to worry about them coming in your house or something trying to find food because they cant find it on their own.
So, you're aloud to just go up to any animal you find and feed it or are you talking about designated areas?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Swampwalker3 said:
So, you're aloud to just go up to any animal you find and feed it or are you talking about designated areas?
well i guess you could go up to them and feed them if you can get that close. usually people take that as they set a feeder in their back yard and fill it. then go inside and watch the animals.

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
Leave them be... Around here foxes are rare and really kinda of a treat to see in the wild.. Feeding them will teach them to look towards humans for food. These appeare to already be somewhat accustomed to humans. They are just lucky it's your yard and not someone elses that would do them harm... Enjoy the young ones when they are born but don't help them out any... You would be doing them a grave dis service.... Get some pics if you have the chance. But just leave them be..

As far as disease... about the only thing you should be concerned about is rabies.. Rabies is only transmitted thru bites or other direct contact. Rabies kills very fast and foxes are not a carrier like skunks and bats.. If they had it they would already be showing signs of illness. Most cause for concern would be flea and tick problems in your yard. But I'd guess it's alittle early in the season for those.

Take care---Fog

Edit--- I see now your in Florida, I dont think the ticks ever go away do they??? Might wanna spray something around the house and on your pets. Just up your protection a little----

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
Don't feed them. Leave them alone.

We have foxes in our yard all the time. They know how to protect themselves. If they die it is part of nature. The ones in our yard seem to know the people that are always around. The don't turn and run unless we get within 20 yards, ans even then they just mosey away. One of them must have gotten under my truck because it has a grease spot on it's back.

Besides rabies look for signs of mange, bald spots is the main sign.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
Call florida fish and wildlife they will come out there and relocate them.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
bnkrtstk said:
One of them must have gotten under my truck because it has a grease spot on it's back.
:histerica And what else are broncos good for besides leaking?

·
Back in TEXAS
1,967 Posts
Personally I woulddn't call FL wildlife services. About all they're good for here in Tampa is killing the animal. I would just make sure they're not disturbed and let them fend for themselves. We had a little gator (about 5') in the lake near our house. Instead of relocating it they had a trapper come in and kill it. I refused to call because thats what I figured would happen.

·
Registered
854 Posts
87EBBronco said:
Personally I woulddn't call FL wildlife services. About all they're good for here in Tampa is killing the animal. I would just make sure they're not disturbed and let them fend for themselves. We had a little gator (about 5') in the lake near our house. Instead of relocating it they had a trapper come in and kill it. I refused to call because thats what I figured would happen.

Yeah, Florida's 4' law is a tad bit overbased..

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I wouldn't sweat a couple of foxes if they are healthy and stay out of trouble. I grew up with a fox den in the backyard, and they never caused any problems, but kept the rodent count down.

I definitely wouldn't feed them either. In extreme circumstances, like during a bad winter or drought, you could leave food well away from a developed area, and where the animals won't associate it with you, but even that is discouraged. Nature can be a bitch, but it has it's reasons.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah i as well have two gators in my backyard they have been there for about 3 years now and have never left the canal , they have stayed. I feed them tho the big ones name is petree i know flame me all you want. Anyways my neibors have 0 problems with the gators being there because they dont have dogs i guess but the biggest one is only about 4 1/2 feet.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Broncoman351 said:
Yeah i as well have two gators in my backyard they have been there for about 3 years now and have never left the canal , they have stayed. I feed them tho the big ones name is petree i know flame me all you want. Anyways my neibors have 0 problems with the gators being there because they dont have dogs i guess but the biggest one is only about 4 1/2 feet.

:lowblow
Don't get caught.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts