Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to dispose of some old antifreeze. Please don't say pour it out in the back yard. I live a block and a half from a lake that is the city water source and I am on a well. I don't want to be drinking it later.

I have talked with every repair shop in town and nobody disposes of it or will take it (small town). O'Reiley's is the only parts store in town and will only take old oil.

Any suggestions?

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Sure mixing it works.. Um ya. I currently have a Milk jug full of antifreeze, transmission fluild and motor oil.. It's green, black and red :) It seperates in about a day :)

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Just leave it outside for the neighbor's dog. Just kidding dont do that. Call the town waste department or mix it together at take it to the parts store.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
the autozone and advance near me check the oil before taking it, ensuring there is no antifreeze mixed in. Just a FYI.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cool link. Thank you

Or go by a shop when they close and leave the jug by there door.
:rofl:

Dump it in the gutter or down the drain.
No gutters on my street. ditch leads straight to the lake. Never thought about the drain. However there are only 5 houses on the block and all are hooked up to a common septic tank that gets pumped once a month. Might lead to more problems.

Winner! Thanks Dustball. I truly did not think to look on the DNR site.

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
I mix it with meow mix and leave it on the porch. Next morning it is gone...:goodfinge

J/K Lots of auto care place will take it and mixing it is a horrible idea and makes it harder to get rid of..;)

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I mix it with meow mix and leave it on the porch. Next morning it is gone...:goodfinge

J/K Lots of auto care place will take it and mixing it is a horrible idea and makes it harder to get rid of..;)
HAHAHA....Thats Funny! Cats are gone too huh?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is so much rust mixed in it from my crapy radiator, I don't think the cats will drink it.

DNR place won't answer their phone. There was one Penzoil 10 min lube place that I found that hopefully will take it. Thanks again for all the help.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,580 Posts
take it to jiffy lube or pep boys. it is federally mandated that they have to accept used oil, coolants, and automotive lubricants.

if they say no, pour it on their floor and call OSHA.

**edit**
even better pour it down the drain, leave the empty container in the trash and call the EPA.

·
penis
3,320 Posts
I put mine in the fridge and give it to my neighbors as a novelity drink..... Think I am kidding try me.

Nah. some places will take it maybe a small charge but disposing of it correctly so it can be recycled is a good idea.

·
Registered
128 Posts
go around behind the autozone / advance store and throw the whole freakin jug in their dumpster.

j/k. not really. yep, j/k. but not really.

our local trash collection point (sanitary landfill) has a whole seperate section with large containers for used lubes and coolants. you just sign in how much you are disposing of, and pour it in. done. you may check some close neighboring counties, as they may do the same if yours does not.

·
LS Swap Everything!
26,232 Posts
The last time I went to Advance Auto, they told me where the disposal bin was and allowed me to dump 3 blitz oil catch pans by myself. I just said "I got a couple of full catch pans for you guys" and no one questioned me.

Dale's right about it being harder to "get rid of" once it's mixed,but if all else fails, this may be your only option.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts