Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
penis
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. so far I am dealing with a coolant leak. I believe I have it narrowed down to the intake manifold.?. My first question is if the intake manifold is leaking can I get coolant in the oil? There will be more as I go.

·
Registered
296 Posts
maybe, if it is leaking underneath as well.

if you run synthetic oil, it will not mix with water and no frothy mess. but to late now,

·
Registered
296 Posts
ps. get ready for broken bolts.... tap each with a hammer and try to heat them slightly. not red, just heat... then tap again. start soaking with crc soak. or pb blaster now...

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
Where on the lower intake does it leak?
Are you sure it's not coming from the thermostat housing?

On my 86 on the lower intake near the temp sensor (right front) there is "bolt" and a bracket that holds the ignition coil and I discovered when I went to a MSD coil that if you remove the bolt it will leak coolant there.:doh0715:

If your BKO is an EFI, you also have the cooling tubes on the throttle body and the lower one could be leaking from the ECT tube-Engine Cooling Temp sensor which is located on the lower intake between the TB and the distributor. ECT sensor is attached to an octagonal shaped bar/tube that is threaded into the intake and has a tube sticking out where the lower cooling tube from the TB goes. :doh0715:

Last but not least, the lower heater hose goes to a short tube under the TB and that tube is also attached to the octagonal shaped bar/tube. On the ogatagonal shaped bar tube you have to rotate the diisy in order to remove it, PITA. My upper ECT tube was rusting/disolving so I cut it off, reamed it and then threaded it for 3/8 and screwed in a new tube and now I don't have to deal with the diisy should I have to go there and fix it again.:chili:

Welcome to BKOREPAIRLAND! lol lol

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
penis
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
O.K. first thing is when I changed my oil the bottom of the pan had a quart of oil in it??? Second I am 90 percent sure the thermostat housing is not leaking. (I did replace the thermostat and yes coolant was leaking before that). Thirdly I will have to check my pipes and hoses for rust and leaks but so far so good. I will keep uypdating as I go. thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
dabranco:
Sounds like your motor wasn't happy with only 1qt of oil, running a bit hot?

My BKO is a DD so I check ALL fluids at the end of the week, tighten clamps and any mini clean etc. to get a snapshot of how things are underneath the hood and hopefully avert any disaster that may be lurking to knock me off the road ~ lol lol

Like I said there are numerous places leaks can occur so while you're checking around go ahead and check all your freeze plugs and see what condition they are in. I had one on the back of the motor drivers side cylinder head right near the cross-over tube and it slowly got worse, I barely touched it with a screw driver and it went right thru PITA but I was fortunate to work an OEM metal plug back in with some loc-tite and it's good to go. :chili: (Napa has expandable rubber freeze plugs for quick repair)

Good Luck, watch that oil level ~ :thumbup

·
penis
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oil level is fine I knew the intake had a slow oil leak from the rear seal. As for the cooland leak looks to be coming from the passenger side front coolant runner area.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
What motor is this???

·
penis
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What motor is this???
89 5.0 is the motor.

So far I got the manifold off and low and behold part of the intake manifold gasket was missing :doh0715: and I did varify 3 leak sources.
First was the front of the intake manifold gasket.
Second was the rear of the intake manifold gasket.
Third was the heater tube.

·
penis
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well got some bad news now.... I went and reinstalled the new intake gaskets and torqued everything and low and behold the thermostat housing was leaking from the hold down bolt. So now I guess i need to replace the lower intake manifold anyone have one cheap??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts