Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

another 4wd prob

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  HWY TO HELL 
#1 ·
4wd kicks in and out sometimes...it will be in 4lo/hi and be goin fine then all of the sudden ya find yourself fuc%$#, is it my transfer case? the hubs are locked and it has brand new front axles,u-joints,ect ect..i really dont like this kind of axle somday if i still have the 80 ill do a SAS.

#2 ·
If it's a 1980 Bronco you've either got the NP208 (most common) or the B-W 1345 ..... being manual shifters it's probably and indication it's time to give the T-case a once over. or something that may work is to replace the shifter detent ball and spring (it could only be a worn spring and ball - but more than likely it's the detent rail itself that's worn (along with a few other parts)
The easiest fix by far would be to get a newer transfer case from the wrecking yards and swap it in ... they may want too much though. I usually find 208's up here for about $50 so I've got three good spares. then you can go through the bad one at your leisure and still enjoy all things Bronco .. the 208's are a pretty simple case (never had a B-W case)
hope it helps.

#3 ·
wait ... did you mean 4wd will work one minute and then it'll kick out then come back on? What are the indications? wheel spin? when it 'kicks out' have someone look under the truck and see if the front driveshaft is spinning - if it is, it's not the T-case, it's further forward (differential or Hub).

#4 ·
yea we did look at the drive shaft and it would spin fine then kick out and just stop idk why? we checked the hubs and they are locked and the front axle does lock and work so it must be some transfer case prob. Wwhen i got the bronco 4wd didnt work so I got new front axles,u-joints,ect to be safe cause it was all crap when i got it but it still didnt work so i looked at the t-case and the linkage was really really lose so i adjusted it and it worked that night then like 3 days later it worked going down a trail then just stoppe working

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.