Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my four wheel drive doesnt work. took me getting stuck before i found it out. the light on the dash comes on, it just doesnt engage. when i put it in 4 wheel low, it gears high like it should, except only back 2 wheels spin. before anyone flames me for not searching, i searched alot. i read all about spinning the front drive line but it says it should on spin one way when it is in 2wd Neutral. mine spins both ways....

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
You probably have the auto hubs right? I would bet your hubs aint a locking, that would explain why its going into 4wd(light) and then you only have 2 wd. All I know.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kf4amu, you are totally right. i read it on one of the previous 4wd posts. said that they should only spin one direction. looked up schematics and there isnt any clutch or anything to stop it from spinning both directions. lifted back end up off the ground, put it in 4wd in drive and shafts spins, wheels dont. so its the hubs. and yes, they are the auto lockers. with just one not working, neither will work i guess? how do i go about fixing that with automatic locking ones, i dont really want to put manual lockers on their unless its the only thing my poor, college budget will allow

·
Try it now!!
9,120 Posts
You can try removing them and cleaning them, but its a crappy design anyway and you're better off getting a 50 dollar set of Superwinch or Milemarkers or Warn Standards and put them in.

Kudos for actually doing some diagnosing! Most people with 4x4 questions ask all sorts of stupid questions and dont ever check anything...and then follow it up with "can I swap in a manual t-case?" hahaha.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha. Yah, i try no to be the idiot that doesnt use the search and research. instead im the one who does both and still doesnt know what to do. how would i go about cleaning them? manual ones are entirely reliable and everything, i am just a sucker for automatic...that or lazy...
is there any fuses or relays or anything worth checking or am i pretty much stuck with cleaning or replacing?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
taking auto hubs apart and cleaning them isn't that big of a deal so long as you pay attention as you take them apart.

Now to be 100% honest the only set I've ever pulled and cleaned were on a 85 GMC, but an auto hub is an auto hub in the end.

The auto hub functions as a one way clutch and over time the parts can and do wear into one another (depending on how often you engage 4wd). So just be sure to put them back together the way they came apart to minimize the chances of something going wrong.

Justin

·
Try it now!!
9,120 Posts
Yea friction increases with dirty hubs no matter what they are, manual or auto. So even manuals may not engage is not properly maintained.

the problem with autos is they tend to release, then reengage if you have a 0 torque situation like if you go from forward to reverse. The manuals stay locked until you change the dial.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts