Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, Im new to the site but wanted to share my build. Ill start with the 78-79 has been my all time favorite veh since high school. My first car was a yellow 79 which leads me to this build. I got it as a craigslist trade in Oct of 09 for a wrecked jeep cherokee that i had a $100 invested in. Did not run and looks like hell! What drew me to the truck was actually the interior was in decent shape. Dash and guages all ok headliner good and of course the cooler for a center counsil. I started by doing a 460 swap to get it running. complete rebuild of the 460 with mild perf upgrades. That didnt end well cause i didnt realize the importance of the lack of zzpd in modern oils which led to cam failure in the first 20 minutes of run time:banghead . That problem solved I took the bronco to Silver Lake Mi. for a test run in july of 2010 where it perf ok except i cooked the 30 year old trans. Over that winter i rebuilt the c6 with the wide ratio and full roller conversion. July of 2011 back to the lake and all good. After july i aquired a dana 60 and 4.10s for the front. did the swap and back to the lake! did great but now its time to work on the looks cause its just ugly! Here is a link to some pics.[URL="<a href="http://s1180.photobucket.com/albums/x402/r-clar/?action=view&current=111.jpg" target="_blank">hope you enjoy. Ill be reposting with other pics shortly.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I think its gonna be a tweener! Hopefully a decent looking rig to cruz but still use mostly in the sand. Gonna keep my jeeps for the hardcore abuse on the trails. Thanks for the pic repost and kinda a noob question but how did you post directly? In the process of teardown now with more pics coming. taking the tub off frame to fix all the rust i can and hopefully prevent further destruction.

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
Hey welcome to another yellow 78 Custom! :thumbup

Mine is very similar - except maybe mine has a little less rust! lol Somebody must have swapped out the round headlight for rectangular one?? 78 Customs should have round.

From your photobucket album thumb page, cursor over the pic you want to post and a window with 4 URL addresses will pop up. Click in the "image code" box and this will copy it -then just paste into your post. Like this:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey welcome to another yellow 78 Custom! :thumbup

Mine is very similar - except maybe mine has a little less rust! lol Somebody must have swapped out the round headlight for rectangular one?? 78 Customs should have round.

From your photobucket album thumb page, cursor over the pic you want to post and a window with 4 URL addresses will pop up. Click in the "image code" box and this will copy it -then just paste into your post. Like this:

Thanks for the tip. Mine has some strange features. Never had a factory backseat or passenger shoulder belt. All seats were aftermarket. Front axle even had factory limited slip.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More teardown!

Got some more work done over the last few days. Also found a local body shop that owes me some favors to order some body parts. No freight charges on my rear quarters:rockon. Ordered both rear quarters. pass floor pan and both lower door post panels. Prices were just a bit higher than LMC but no delivery so I jumped on them.Here are some more pics.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Get yourself a gallon of rustbullet and coat every new body panel you get for that truck, and the ones you keep on it... Maybe not the outside of them (although I would consider it myself), but at least the inside of the fender wells, inner fenders, bed, new quarter panels etc etc. The inner parts of the truck are never protected well and thats where the rust starts... You can paint over the RB and will never know its there. Also, coat the frame and any other exposed parts you can when have access...

I admire your willigness to try and recover a truck with that much rust damage. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get yourself a gallon of rustbullet and coat every new body panel you get for that truck, and the ones you keep on it... Maybe not the outside of them (although I would consider it myself), but at least the inside of the fender wells, inner fenders, bed, new quarter panels etc etc. The inner parts of the truck are never protected well and thats where the rust starts... You can paint over the RB and will never know its there. Also, coat the frame and any other exposed parts you can when have access...

I admire your willigness to try and recover a truck with that much rust damage. Good luck with it!
I plan on coating everything i can. this is lite rust for my area! budy of mine just purchased a bronco from arizona. Not a spec of rust but that doesnt happen in these part. my 03 superduty has rust all over the bed!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I got some more work done today. Some of the body parts are in. Passenger floor about finished.Just an update with some pics.

And just a shot of what i cant wait to get done .

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorrry for the lack of updates. Unfortunately the rh quarter i got was junk and am being told maybe 2 months for another. More work done to the floors have some pics soon. Gonna dig the seats out of the shed to start on my new brackets. hopefully some pics in the next coulpe of days.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I plan on coating everything i can. this is lite rust for my area! budy of mine just purchased a bronco from arizona. Not a spec of rust but that doesnt happen in these part. my 03 superduty has rust all over the bed!
"this is lite rust for my area!" WTF!!!!!:crazy Just kidding:thumbup

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"this is lite rust for my area!" WTF!!!!!:crazy Just kidding:thumbup
Ya you should seee the bed on my o3 super duty! It sucks
Budy of mine just got a bronco shipped up from arizona. I think its an 88 and it has less rust than some 08s in our area. My 02 explorer that my daughter drives has no rockers and the running boards fell off.

·
OMF
2,957 Posts
I had looked at your thread a few times but I just noticed you have won ton axles! Lucky dog!!

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
I had looked at your thread a few times but I just noticed you have won ton axles! Lucky dog!!
oh shit i didnt catch that either. wonder if the OP even knows lol

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ya i swapped those in in October bought the whole truck for $100.00. got me the dana 60 rear and the 3/4 outers up front with 4.10s. Cheapest gear swap ill ever do:beer. But I would like to have 4.56s

1 - 20 of 209 Posts