Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got to be out of my mind. :toothless

I bought this one for 2 reasons, one was that I wanted a Bronco to drive. I looked at a couple around Chicago and decided on this one from Georgia. And two, I need this one as a guide to put the original one back together. :histerica:doh0715:

Body and interior are in really good shape. The top was sanded smooth and looks really good. I was a little worried that I wouldn't like it but it's grown on me. I'm going to do very little exterior work. Replacing the headlights and other lighting eventually and maybe repair/replace some of the trim.

While someone put a decent amount of work into the body and interior, I'm not crazy about the front seats and interior color combination.

The arm rest is very nice and a perfect height, for me. And, while I'm not sure what the front seats are out of, they are EXTREMELY comfortable and are mounted further back than the stock seats would have been. My plans on the interior are, have the rear seat and front buckets from my first Bronco recovered, not sure what kind of material yet though. Replace the door panels with "New" interior color appropriate panels and have the rear panels recovered. Also, the light switch and at a minimum the light bulbs in the dashboard need to be replaced. I think I may also attempt somewhere down the road to replace the fuse panel and as much of the wiring as I can get at without tearing the whole thing apart.

The motor, well I don't remember if the seller said 351 or 400. Not a big deal either way as the motor had a mild rebuild a year or two ago. It runs really nice once that is I get it started. It does not like to start when cold. Actually, Brian was over the day it was delivered. It started and we took it for a ride around the block. The next day, Friday, I got home from work early to check it out in the day light and the damn thing would not start. Rather, it wouldn't turn over. Put the battery charger on it, still nothing. The battery had less than 400 cold cranking amps. Here in Chicago when it's in the middle 20's just won't cut it. Picked up a new battery, the SOB just cranks and cranks now. :thumbup Not much else to do under the hood I guess..... but I guess I can always find something. :toothless

Friday after putting the battery in it I took it over to the mechanic who built the rear ends for the first Bronco for me. He put it up on his lift so we could have a looksie. Well the steering was BAD. The truck was all over the road and I was spending most of the time driving it chasing it around the street. Turns out just about all of the bushings need to be replaced.

By the looks of the bushings and the pitman arm I'm guessing that it was either lifted and driven really hard before the body and interior restore or whoever restored it needed a pitman and just used whatever he could find.

So, on Wednesday the mechanic is going to swap out the pitman arm and replace the bushings for the trac bar and go over the breaks for me. I'd do the bushings myself but my garage is stiff full and it's to cold and I'm too damned old to be rolling around on the ground in the cold. :whiteflag

Once the weather breaks I'll need to replace the springs and shocks. Its rather mushy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ha!!!! Was just getting on here, finally had some free time to check out the progress on the 79 and seen this post.... You my friend have a serious problem lol. Nice looking rig, and to be honest I have been looking for another one myself to use as a winter driver. You can never have too many vintage fords I guess lol

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Looks like the Bronco bug bite ya good like me & CB. Bronco looks nice and way to rationalize getting it "I need this one to help me put the other one back together". Hahaha.....
Great looking 79! Yeah, you got it bad!
:histerica Funny how we rationalize it, ain't it?

See, difference of opinions I reckon....I kinda like the grey, it brightens up the interior a bit. I mighta considered pulling the dark carpet and putting in a grey carpet to go with the other stuff.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ha!!!! Was just getting on here, finally had some free time to check out the progress on the 79 and seen this post.... You my friend have a serious problem lol. Nice looking rig, and to be honest I have been looking for another one myself to use as a winter driver. You can never have too many vintage fords I guess lol
That's kind of the pot calling the kettle black? hmmm? :thumbup

Mmm I like the aluminum slots. What size tires does it have?
Yeah, I like them as well. They are 33's and I haven't noticed any rubbing, yet.

Looks like the Bronco bug bite ya good like me & CB. Bronco looks nice and way to rationalize getting it "I need this one to help me put the other one back together". Hahaha.....
:histerica:histerica:histerica

Great looking 79! Yeah, you got it bad! I like the exterior color, but agree with you on the interior - your plan sounds good. I'd get rid of the gray. :thumbup
Hey! See first reply above, pot! :thumbup

:histerica Funny how we rationalize it, ain't it?

See, difference of opinions I reckon....I kinda like the grey, it brightens up the interior a bit. I mighta considered pulling the dark carpet and putting in a grey carpet to go with the other stuff.
Grey carpet would have been nice.

that is a beautiful truck.

congrats!
Thanks and thanks all. :thumbup

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's kind of the pot calling the kettle black? hmmm?
True... lol but I downsized a bit, now I am just down to a 78 Bronco, 78 supercab and 78 shortbed, and my little daily commuter car (Not even worth mentioning lol) But now I am hankering for something new to play with, found a few broncos I wanna go look at and a 70 shortbed 4x4. Should be getting the new house here in january and its got a nice 20x40 shop, gotta get it filled up ya know and I will look for any excuse to buy another rig. Really ewant another Bronco though lol. Terrible terrible addiction. but I suppose as long as the wife aint complaining it cant be that bad lol

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
This is why i have friends who have broncos. So i can wrench on them without having to spend my money. :D

·
Registered
257 Posts
Congrats man, sweet looking rig! And this one is closer to the color combo you were talking about after buying the Freewheeling Bronco. That should satiate your color quandary, right?

At what point do we cross from "enthusiast" to "mentally unbalanced?" I now have four Mustangs (1977, 1978, 1978, 2008), my '79 Bronco, and just bought a '77 F-150. The worst part is that every single one of them needs something done to it. I could live in my shop for six months with all of the needed parts stacked around me and not finish. Yet I know that if another deal falls in my lap....

1 - 20 of 152 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.