Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here, to the forum and 4X's in general. Life long blue oval nut, finally made my way over to the truck department. I've got a couple quick Q:'s (and I'm pretty sure many more in-depth for later)

So, I blew the tranny in my mustang, and (being a mechanic myself) I never let anyone else work on her. Unfortunately I just don't have time to fix it right now. I started looking for a cheap ride and found an '85 bronco, 6 cyl., I didn't want to throw away money on a car I didn't want just to have temporary wheels. Was kinda dissappointed in the lack of a V-8, but then after 5 seconds of doing the math on my ponys' 347s thirst I figured it may not be that bad after all.

Truck is in alright shape. :toothless Body's straight, no rust, interior descent (ewww, blue). New radiator, carb, battery, brakes, cap/rotor, plugs/wires, all vac lines. Needs tie-rods, tires, headliner, window motor, rear ring&pinion will have to be swapped before too long.
But- it starts right up, idles, drives great (a little loose in the steering, but expected). No tranny slipping. No stalling or chugging.

Alright, the actual questions---
I'm sure a 6 cyl wasn't the fastest option when it came off the lot, but how slow are these really? With 45000 on the ticker (145000?, 245000?, who knows) I'm sure a fresh long block would spice things up, but right now "gutless" is all that comes to mind.
What are the common inherint flaws? I havn't tried the transfer case yet (kind of afraid too, I just need to get to work right now).

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
The 6 is a pretty capable motor, and reliable. Do a search on it, and you'll see that quite a few people here run it, and run it well.

Tailgate rot, fender rot, and depending on what 4WD system you have, there may be shifting problems (Electronic Shift). Auto hubs are teh sux, ditch them and put manuals on. Autos fail when you need them most.

don't ask about a soft top, and yes the hard top comes off.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Auto hubs are teh sux, ditch ..... and yes the hard top comes off.

LOL, I'm not that noob, I've been in naked bronc's before. :)
It has manual hubs.
And I did have a buddy back in the day with an ('86?) F-series longbead standard cab that had an efi 300, pretty powerful truck (for non-V8), a far cry from this dog. Wasn't sure if the older carb'd 6's just blew, or if it was just mine. :( I've only had it for a day, probably should have inspected more before I purchased it. But so far it gets me to work, and I was rather desperate (nothing says player like takin' a date on the bus)

I am curious about the sof-top remark though (?). Being from so-cal I've seen a few variants of bikini's on 'em, never thought they looked good myself though (and kind of pointless)

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
check out clifford performance 6=8, they can get you thinking diferently about the 300, they have a bunch of goodies that will wake up the 300. they are a bit pricey though. put new plugs, wires, dist. cap/rotor, coil, solenoid, battery cables although i think the neg cable is a bit pricey, that will wake her up a bit. the down fall on the 300 is the carb. you may want to upgrade in the carb, intake and exhaust headers in the future. i have an 85 in the back yard with the 300 that i did all the spark upgrades like i listed and it came alive. i have the offy alum 4 barrel intake and some split style header for the 300 that i bought off ebay, i havent got around to a carb yet. i was going to go with the holley truck avenger, but i just may get a qaudajet and be done with it. i havent drove the 85 in the last year, i have bought 2 more bronco's and the 85 has taken the back seat to my other projects. good luck and welcome aboard!!!!!!!!:beer

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
LOL, I'm not that noob, I've been in naked bronc's before. :)
It has manual hubs.
And I did have a buddy back in the day with an ('86?) F-series longbead standard cab that had an efi 300, pretty powerful truck (for non-V8), a far cry from this dog. Wasn't sure if the older carb'd 6's just blew, or if it was just mine. :( I've only had it for a day, probably should have inspected more before I purchased it. But so far it gets me to work, and I was rather desperate (nothing says player like takin' a date on the bus)

I am curious about the sof-top remark though (?). Being from so-cal I've seen a few variants of bikini's on 'em, never thought they looked good myself though (and kind of pointless)
i ran a bikin on my jeep because i didn't like the sun beating down on me. I didn't really care what it looked like.

I sweat like the fat kid in gym class, and if i can do anything to stay cool i will. I know when i take the top off mine, the sun does have the potential to hit me more in my Bronco.

That and i am a geek. Outside scares me and the sun hurts me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts