Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my a/c has been unhooked for years. i just tokk apart my compresor and cleand all the oil out. is it good to put r143a into it now? ware can you get the new concetions to fill it up at?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
To answer the first question: No, not really. If your system was empty because of a leak you now have corrosion coating the inside of the metal parts/fittings. Your receiver/drier also has a dessicant bag inside of it. It's job was to absorb moisture. Now it is more than likely saturated. At the very least you will need to flush all the lines, condenser and evaporator. The receiver/drier also needs to be replaced.

As far as a safe R-12 to R-134 conversion, there is no such thing. The oil used to lubricate the compressor is circulated through the system. The existing flexible hoses have absorbed said oil. This oil is not compatible with the oil used in a proper R-134a conversion. Add in the fact your existing hoses are probably not barrier type hoses so the smaller R-134 molecules will leak out at a much faster rate than the larger R-12 molecules. You really need to open up the rest of the system and inspect the interior of the lines, condenser and evaporator. You may get away with a thorough flushing, new receiver/drier, orifice tube and o-rings as well as a proper charge R-12 refrigerant and oil. I would also bet your existing lines need to be replaced because of their age.

If you really want to do a proper R-134 conversion you will need new barrier type hoses, a new condenser designed for use with R-134, orifice tube, receiver/drier as well as the proper oil and amount of R-134. If you go that far you might as well toss in a new evaporator, it's the only thing left.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Add in the fact your existing hoses are probably not barrier type hoses so the smaller R-134 molecules will leak out at a much faster rate than the larger R-12 molecules.

If you really want to do a proper R-134 conversion you will need new barrier type hoses

Question for ya, where would one go to get these "barrier type hoses" and condensor and such needed to use R-134a? A regular parts store should be selling new components that are oriented for use with 134, correct?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I have a shop nearby that makes custom hoses. You could look into retro-fitting later model F-series/Bronco hoses onto yours. For the condenser you can go with a custom parallel flow or again look at what the factory equipped R-134 trucks came with.

I have purchased a few parts here: http://www.ackits.com/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts