Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just spent about an hour reading through all of the post on the search (e4od).
Seems to be pretty much agreed upon theat it is not the stongest transmission that ford ever made.
Here is my Question can it be made strong enough for mild wheeling and limited road use. There seems to be a few people who think that it can be made reliable and strong?
The reason i ask is because i just took mine out and it is junk. I spoke to a repitable shop in Cedar Rapids and the qouted me a price of $1200 for a standard rebuild and $1600 for a heavy duty "you can't break" rebuild plus $300 for a heavy duty tourqe converter. I want a c-6 but dont want to go through all of the bs of swapping it over.
I ahve the cash for the hd e4od and converter and the shop owner seems pretty confident what do you guys think?

Thinks for the help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I remember seeing something about a company that would rebuild an E4OD similar to what you're talking about. They called it "bullet proof", so I'm guessing that yeah, it can be done. If what your mechanic is planning is anywhere near what these guys do, I'd say the price quoted is way more than fair. I'll have to dig through my favs to see if I can find the company.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Cranker said:
....$1600 for a heavy duty "you can't break" rebuild plus $300 for a heavy duty tourqe converter.
I'd find out what he thinks won't break it....if he's built one before that was for off-road use and it didn't break then he may know what he's talking about. Plus don't forget about cooling....trannys like to be cool too.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If he is a well known trans builder i would beleive him. CHeck wirh the better business bureau to find out if he has had any customer complaints. Not sure what year Bronco you have but the 95/96 were the better of the E4OD Broncos.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts