Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I pulled home a 1993 FSB that we bought from another member (ponyman460).
The price was right and the young man in the pictures? Well, this will be his very first vehicle.
He should become a new member pretty soon as I told him that pretty much all questions can be answered on this site so, as soon as we get the fuel pump issues sorted out, he should be good to go.
We hauled it from Jupiter Farms to Boynton Beach which is about 40 miles or so.
I think I might need new shocks on my own rig!!!

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Nice looking starter Bronco for him.

You towed it just like that? Looks to me like you could of moved it back on the trailer to take some weight off the tongue.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When we loaded it on the trailer, the tongue lifted up and "flexed" my rear suspension about 8 inches up.
I was more concerned that the ball would rip loose at the top.
It was not an easy decision and in hindsight, I probably should have centered the towed vehicle above the axles a bit better.
Hopefully I won't make the same mistake but, in this instance, nothing got broken so we have THAT going for us...

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
When we loaded it on the trailer, the tongue lifted up and "flexed" my rear suspension about 8 inches up.
That is normal when loading a heavy item on a trailer. You definetly should of had it back more over the duals of the trailer to give you a bit less tongue weight. It will also make it easier to drive down the road. Pucker factor was probably high with the lack of steering you had.

It looks like you dragged the spare tire a few times to.:histerica

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The spare tire DID drag a few times.
I had to keep it at 50 or below due to the floaty front end.
On the plus side, my rig DID have more then enough power to pull it even over bridges.
And yes, it is a BUMPER hitch.
Tearing my bumper off was another concern but, it did not even bend.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Shoulda called me. The black bomber is more than right at home pulling a big flatbed.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shoulda called me. The black bomber is more than right at home pulling a big flatbed.
Well, I don't want to wear out my welcome if I can help it but yeah, your truck would have been WAY better at this then my little Bronco.
Don't worry... you will be getting your hands on this as soon as I get it running. :thumbup

·
Registered
995 Posts
Nice first rig! When I have to tow a rig with the Bronco I normally put it on the trailer backwards to distribute the weight a little better and help with the short wheelbase issues.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
loads like this make me wish i was a cop so i could stop dumb asses from endangering everyone else on the road. FOR NO GOOD REASON.
The irony of your comment is that I passed two state troopers running radar, I was passed by one Sheriff and I pulled up next to a Boynton cop.
Maybe your view of the pictures makes you a better judge of safety then the law enforcement experts?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
so you're telling me that you were within the legal limits off all parts used in that setup?

bumper tongue weight?
it's rated at just a little more than a fat guy standing on it. that picture shows you either took leaves out of your rear pack to lower the truck or you are GROSSLY overloaded.

with the front end that high up it has no weight on it. the front end is designed to take WAY more of the braking load than the rear axle. with it pointing in the sky not only is the braking system going to function incorrectly in a panic situation, you can't f-ing turn. i've driven my truck loaded that way. it's way sketchy. and just cause you passed some cops who didn't know any better doesn't mean YOU shouldn't know better.

how did you stand back and look at the load before leaving and say, "i could move the truck back a foot or two but i'll endanger the general public instead cause that would just be too hard."

it's reckless. it's dangerous and it bugs the shit out of me when people post that this is OK. it's NOT.

i'm glad no one died this time.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Relax jam0o0, he obviously did not know that it was bad untill he started driving it. It is over and done with and hopefully he has learned something about towing.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so you're telling me that you were within the legal limits off all parts used in that setup?

bumper tongue weight?
it's rated at just a little more than a fat guy standing on it. that picture shows you either took leaves out of your rear pack to lower the truck or you are GROSSLY overloaded.

with the front end that high up it has no weight on it. the front end is designed to take WAY more of the braking load than the rear axle. with it pointing in the sky not only is the braking system going to function incorrectly in a panic situation, you can't f-ing turn. i've driven my truck loaded that way. it's way sketchy. and just cause you passed some cops who didn't know any better doesn't mean YOU shouldn't know better.

how did you stand back and look at the load before leaving and say, "i could move the truck back a foot or two but i'll endanger the general public instead cause that would just be too hard."

it's reckless. it's dangerous and it bugs the shit out of me when people post that this is OK. it's NOT.

i'm glad no one died this time.
You must have not read this post:

"When we loaded it on the trailer, the tongue lifted up and "flexed" my rear suspension about 8 inches up.
I was more concerned that the ball would rip loose at the top.
It was not an easy decision and in hindsight, I probably should have centered the towed vehicle above the axles a bit better.
Hopefully I won't make the same mistake but, in this instance, nothing got broken so we have THAT going for us..."

So in other words, I thought it would be MORE dangerous to have the weight at the rear of the trailer then at the front of the trailer.
It had absoultly zero to do with moving the load being "too hard" and more to do with me making a judgement call on which way would be the safer way to haul this load.
I kept my speed at 45 MPH on the highway and made sure that I kept a generous stopping distance.
Thanks for your concern.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sorry i came off a jackass. i just meant to inform. good luck with bringing the truck back for the brink. :beer
Thanks for that.
Hopefully by Tuesday I will have the eletricial to the fuel pump sorted out.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Glad you and the FSB got home safe. Nice rig...he he he I laughed when I read that it flexed 8 in....hell I have lifted mine 8in off the ground loading tractors on a trailer like that. Centered does handle better, but load the mule and dont worry about it....thats what paw paw always said.

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
theirs irony in those pics, just have to dig for it.....

Anyways, looks like a real solid truck, although i can see from here those rain gutters are cracked :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts