Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the deal the emergancy brake pedel hit's me in the shin all the time, I was thinking of trying to bend it up some to try and move it out of the way.

But now I'm thinking crazy thoughts about installing a hand E-brake out of some other vehicle eliminating the problem all togather. Has this been tried before, any write ups or ideas on what i should use as a doner for the hand brake lever?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Torvald said:
Ok, here's the deal the emergancy brake pedel hit's me in the shin all the time, I was thinking of trying to bend it up some to try and move it out of the way.

But now I'm thinking crazy thoughts about installing a hand E-brake out of some other vehicle eliminating the problem all togather. Has this been tried before, any write ups or ideas on what i should use as a doner for the hand brake lever?
That's generally for smaller vehicles. I'm guessing that's why you don't find them on 5000 lb trucks.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
408 Posts
Dude, you're talkin' my language!

First, I'm 6'8" tall. My legs are so bent up already, I can hardly even lift my foot high enough off the floor to reach the parking brake.

Second, having a hand brake would be killer for throwin' 180's!

Third, it sure would be useful to be able to apply and back off it while backing down failed hillclimb attempts. Stock is all-on or all-off.

Engineer it and keep me posted! :twotu:

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Throwin' 180's in a Bronco? Isn't that called a "roll-over accident?"

·
Registered
37 Posts
SigEpBlue said:
Throwin' 180's in a Bronco? Isn't that called a "roll-over accident?"
We used to do 40 mph 180's in my friend's girlfriend's neighborhood in a Chevette. It was tons-o-fun but I'd want to kill the kids that did it in MY 'hood now. Funny how being on the other side of the fence changes one's outlook on the past.

I realize the physics involved with reducing lever length but this IS a grown man's leg were talking about here... could you just cut a short amount from the lever and reattach the pad?

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Hmm I'm trying to imagine throwing 180's with our 40's. I don't see it happening..

·
Teddy Bear
2,209 Posts
im 6'3 and have no problem with the ebrake, and doing ebrake slides is asking for higher insurance rates, if you want to spin stuff get an import

·
Registered
75 Posts
It sounds like it would be alot easier and more comfortable to move the seat mounts back a little. I am planning to do this asap, I am not 6'8 but I make up for it with roundness :p

Actually I am looking for an uber comfy bench style seat, call me crazy but I like them much better.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
I just looked at my parking brake pedal today, and I agree, it'd be a bit of a contortionist move putting my knee up much higher if I weren't 5'10". The only viable solution I can see is some sort of cantilever mechanism so the pedal movement would be shorter and have an "up" position closer to the floor. This would result in a harder pedal to push, but it'd solve the difficulty of putting one's foot upon the pedal.

If this isn't viable, a standard Mustang-style brake lever on the floor should work fine. You'd probably want to mount it on a pedestal of some kind, but the idea is sound. After all, the pedal uses a cable; you'd just have a bit of extending and rerouting to do. If you're comfortable with modifying high-tension cables and a little bit of mechanical design, by all means try it!

·
Teddy Bear
2,209 Posts
if you gonna go the leaver route id put it on the left of my seat out of the way so you dont have to reroute just tap into the stock setup, just my $.02

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Older toyotas use that pull lever in the dash. Dont know if its able to be modified to work in your application though.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
I don't understand how you hit your shin everytime you release the brake. Maybe it's just me, but I would think after the first 100 times of getting smacked in the shin that I would finally learn to simply move my leg over about an inch or two. :shrug

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
waltman said:
I don't understand how you hit your shin everytime you release the brake. Maybe it's just me, but I would think after the first 100 times of getting smacked in the shin that I would finally learn to simply move my leg over about an inch or two. :shrug
It's not when it gets released. I kick it all the time while driving, it sits about1/2 an inch from my leg if I move my leg it hits the pedel not hard it's just very much in the way of comfort.

P.S. I like that idea of putting it on the left side out of the way and still close at hand, I'll have to see if it looks like theres enough room for one there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts