Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any reason not to replicate the dual battery setup found in the OBS diesel trucks? It seems very straight forward. No special relays or switches required. It seems the battery tray from any powerstroke would house the additional battery. It looks like it uses 2 12ga fuse links between the right side battery + post and the alternator. 12V+from the battery to the post on the rear of the alternator and 12V+ from the battery to the Y/W wire to the alternator plug.

Any reason not to go this route? Ive searched and people are adding continuous duty relays and Painless wiring kits for a dual battery setup. I'm just unsure why there is a need to isolate the second battery?

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Yes, to fully isolate them from eachother so they do not drain eachother and you end up with 2 dead batteries.

·
Registered
102 Posts
What would be the point in having 2 batteries if you cant isolate one to save you in a pinch?

I run the painless wiring set up in one of my hunting trucks. After driving around all night all low rpms and running the light bars its impossible for the alternator to keep up with the usage. As soon as the first battery dies, bam, flip the switch to the other battery and you have one at 100% ready to start the truck and get you home.

·
imdabes
937 Posts
I do the same as buffalo, however I have one of those big ass relays, 500amp, connected to a standard switch in my cab. The batteries aren't connected unless I flip the switch.

I may connect an ignition wire to it as well so it always is charging if the trucks on, but I like being in control too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts