·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in my 91 FSB 5.0 e40d

tranny was just rebuilt less than 5K ago. w/e new tq conv

shifts hard 1-2
sometimes hard 2-3
sometimes sounds like it slips when im getting on it...at the top end of the rpm range it will sounds like it revs REALLY fast for like 300 rpms(usually around 4k rpms)
its got a sticker on it that has temp readings...apparently it has seen 210*F

does this thing need to go back or what?? i dont mind the hard shifts at all...just dont know if thats what a fresh one should do...i will be calling them soon to see exactly what they think and what they did...should they have done all up the e40d updates to this point when it was done??

thanx

dc

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'd check the fluid to see if it low, or burn't. If so then change it. Could be you have a better stall converter then the stock setup?? If neither of them is bad, I'd take it back to the place the rebuilt it. Have them take a look at it unless its not under warrenty then your screwd :(

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
havent looked at the fluid...im gonna install a remote filter and a cooler soon...but wanna make sure i wait till the trans shop hears about it/sees it so i dont take chances on voiding a warranty..

thanx dc

·
Registered
113 Posts
stangmata50l said:
Last time I spruced up my tranny, it shifted smooth as could be.
I know that the factory has it set for smooth, but a harder shifting tranny is actually suffering from less wear because it's not constantly slippling the clutches during gear shifts.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
DcSkater602 said:
so replace the MLPS sensor before going to the shop???

would that explain the slipping too...i just drove home and it slipped w/ my foot light on the pedal

Mine would do that too. Almost like the E4OD is confused on what gear it wants to be in.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
mine was throwing a code. I took it to a local "responsible" transmission shop that came highly recommended from my mechanic and he hooked into the E4OD while driving and read that it was the MLPS that was out.

The guy outright could of charged me to rebuild the tranny for 2500, but instead i paid 275 to have the MLPS replaced.

Don't throw parts at it to fix it, see if you can get it diagnosed first.....i think you should be throwing a code when it's doing this.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Exactly how hard is it to replace a MLPS on a Bronco with a E4OD? From the looks of the part the it dont look hard the change.....mechanically (two bolts, line up the shaft, plug into harness), but is there any problem w/the PCM having to learn to live with the new part???

I am asking because I have already pulled a bad MLPS code from my Bronco (I reset it and it has not come back.....some months ago), but I do notice my tranny "gear hunting" more than I would like it to once in a while....the shifts are fine though.....they are not as firm as I would like, but it is smooth with no excessive slipping....all in all my E4OD with just under 90K is fine, but I always keep failure prone parts in stock, and on the shelf......so I been thinking about scoring a MLPS just to have ready for the day when mine kicks the bucket.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts