Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been through a lot of post, not all I'm sure, but I think I've narrowed this down. I think...

Here's what I know;
Fuel pump in gas tank does not prime when key is turned.
Fuel pump runs when connected directly to battery power. (have spare that works the same way)
Spark at the plugs
Motor runs(roughly, but runs) when I stand in front of it and spray it with starter fluid.
Inertia switch is okay.

I think the EEC is okay? I say that because it's delivering spark and running the engine when I feed it fuel.
In my limited knowledge I'm thinking it's either likely the EEC Relay or the Fuel Pump Relay. Trouble is I don't really know what I'm looking for. I think they are located under a black plastic shield on the passenger side wheel well?

I don't have or know anyone who can get the codes for me. (very little experience with that stuff too). Depending on the cost, I'll likely just buy new relays for both, plug one in see if it works, if not try the other.
The hitch in my situation is that I need to have this running in a matter of a couple of days. If not, the wife's going to be a little upset that we'll be riding in a Jeep at Easter Jeep Safari rather than standing out in our Bronco.

Is there anything else I should be looking at or an easier way of testing the EEC. If it's bad I'll need to make a trip to the J/Y to round up some potential replacements.

Just looking for thoughts. Thanks as always!!

-r

·
Registered
648 Posts
I don't have or know anyone who can get the codes for me. (very little experience with that stuff too).
-r
It's easy to pull codes yourself. http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13

I follow the slightly different method listed in the Haynes manual and just use a paperclip to jump the Self Test Input with the SIG-RTN.

If you post your codes here alot of guys can help you out. There is also a description of the codes at fordfuelinjection

·
Registered
777 Posts
The ECU (EEC) rarely fail. if it runs on ether (DON"T use that any more!!!) then you have spark. The fuel pump not priming is your main symptom. Change the fuel pump relay and retest. clicky for the autozone location information. not too much help, but until you get yourself a Haynes manual, better than nothing

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got a manual, just left it at work yesterday...

Going to grab new relays this afternoon and try that.

-r

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Dude,

Had the EXACT problem. not kidding, down to every symptom.

Here's what i did.

1st-fuel pump relay
2nd-ECC(ECU)

somehow there was water damage. but seriously, mine was the exact same way. right down to trying to use ether.

hope this helps.:beer

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where the hell are the ECU and Fuel Pump Relays located? Not finding anything in my manual. Not finding anything under the hood???

I found a relay (wrong one) kind of tucked up under the master cylinder, but there weren't any others around it. The Auto Zone thing says it's on the passenger side up by the firewall. Heater core and blower are on the firewall, but nothing electronic. On the wheel well there are some things, but nothing that looks like either of the relays I bought. (could be wrong, but I don't have much reason to suspect that yet)
Any ideas?

Thanks,

-r

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,518 Posts
Your truck may have them in the same place as the '87-'91 rigs: driver's side, under a plastic shroud with each relay position marked on it, right next to the
airbox.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm positive that my truck somehow runs without these things...
I'm posting some pics so you can see what/where I'm looking.

-r

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

So here is what I'm looking at for the Fuel Pump relay??

According to the AutoZone thing, the ECM relay is up under the dash.
"Front seating area, center, under dash, passenger side of center dash brace, mounted on top of Electronic Control Assembly (ECA)"
But I'm not seeing much there. On the drivers side I see some stuff that looks like it could be the ECM, but it's located on the wrong side according to their description. I don't see a relay there anyway...

This sucks.

-r

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Front of this box thing...

Side...

Back...

Don't see anything in there that looks like what I'm after.

-r

·
Registered
777 Posts
Haynes is showing your relays on the left hand (drivers) fender apron. That blue OBA tank might be hiding them. the figure 16.60 page 4-30 in my haynes shows 3 relays in a line right next to the data link connector.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haynes is showing your relays on the left hand (drivers) fender apron. That blue OBA tank might be hiding them. the figure 16.60 page 4-30 in my haynes shows 3 relays in a line right next to the data link connector.
Going to look now.

-r

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Eliminated two more hiding spots.

Took the kick pannel off the drivers side. Nothing but an empty hole.

Also moved my OBA tank. (Had been planning to move that anyway).
Nothing under there.

-r

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Snapped a shot of my Inertia Switch too.

I didn't see any descriptions that said it would be in this location.
Maybe someone will find this of use.

-r

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looking through my Haynes some more. It looks like there were some major differences between what they are showing/saying and my '86.
Looking at the pic on 6-2, it's a completely different placement things.

Big Blue, can you tell me where yours were located? That should get me close.

-r

·
Registered
777 Posts
It looks like things were moved to put the tank in place. Have you found your data link connector?

looking back at the pictures, what is under the plastic box with the red toggle switch? looks like it might be relays.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The only thing that was moved to put the tank there was the washer fluid box. You can see that in the Haynes, the air box sits on the wheel well for that particular year, mine is sitting on a bracket that comes up off the header (yes, the opposite of cold air intake). There was nothing on that fender well. It was a good spot to sit when working under the hood.

I don't know what that box with the red toggle switch is or what's under it. (I do know what the switch is, I put that there). That line of, whatever they are was the first thing I though of when I went to look for the relays but nothing matches. The connectors are all wrong and they are overall much smaller in size. I'm still wondering about that relay on my firewall (drivers side) in the pic above. Is it possible that they gave me the wrong part at AutoZone and because of that I'm really looking right at it and thinking it's not it?

Thanks for the feed back guys. If you can't tell, I'm really struggling over something I thought would be a straightforward $15 fix.

-r

1 - 20 of 29 Posts