Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished installing my sag last night and right away I was very pleased with the results! the steering was very easy even at a stand still. Mine was from a 91 E-van.

Others have said that these pumps are "silent" but mine made a little noise. It's only noticable when you are outside the car and its very quiet, but is that normal? It's completely fine with me, I'm just wondering if it is really supposed to be "silent".

Now that I have a new pump in with new fluid, is there a special way to bleed the system?

also, with the bigger pulley and a slightly smaller belt that shuck's sold me, my tensioner is almost fully tensioned. Is this acceptable? I've heard the tensioner has even tension throughout its range but I've also heard otherwise.

In the end I am very pleased! I would definitely recommend it to any bronco owner...

...next up, 160A alternator waiting to go in!

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Mine isn't silent. I don't think people actually mean silent. If anything it is "silent compared to the OEM one". I don't know of any vehicle that has silent power steering. That being said mine makes very little noise unless you are nearing/at lock.

·
Currently FSB divorced
956 Posts
I finished installing my sag last night and right away I was very pleased with the results! the steering was very easy even at a stand still. Mine was from a 91 E-van.

Others have said that these pumps are "silent" but mine made a little noise. It's only noticable when you are outside the car and its very quiet, but is that normal? It's completely fine with me, I'm just wondering if it is really supposed to be "silent".

Now that I have a new pump in with new fluid, is there a special way to bleed the system?

also, with the bigger pulley and a slightly smaller belt that shuck's sold me, my tensioner is almost fully tensioned. Is this acceptable? I've heard the tensioner has even tension throughout its range but I've also heard otherwise.

In the end I am very pleased! I would definitely recommend it to any bronco owner...

...next up, 160A alternator waiting to go in!

Mine was quiet, I'm sure it makes some kind of noise but no whinning. To bleed -I made slow (to avoid foaming) easy turns lock to lock about 3 times Checked fluid- topped off repeat. Had to do it a couple times - But I also put in a new AGR box and all new lines and,filter. Why a bigger pulley? If you would increase the pulley size then you should of increased the belt size. IMO- I don't believe a tensioner has even tension throughout it's range it's a spring which get tighter as you apply tension. If it too tight, could wear on the bearings of accessories. JMO:thumbup. I loved the swap it was one of the best things I did especially running larger tires.- Bob

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pulley from the donor car was slightly larger so I just put that one on. It does not seem too tight (I can still push some slack in it), but I also smelled a little burning rubber when I first started it up... That could have been the smell of burning spilled PS fluid, or maybe I thought just cause the belt was was brand new (?).

I will keep close watch on it and get a larger belt if need be.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
The pulley from the donor car was slightly larger so I just put that one on. It does not seem too tight (I can still push some slack in it), but I also smelled a little burning rubber when I first started it up... That could have been the smell of burning spilled PS fluid, or maybe I thought just cause the belt was was brand new (?).

I will keep close watch on it and get a larger belt if need be.
i would switch out the pulleys. if there is no play in the tensioner for flex or whatever you want to call it it can cause the belt to break. there is no leeway so the belt is too tight. but this is my humble opinion and from experience it can happen

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Before my Saginaw

mine sounded like it was the only GM in a parking lot full of quiet non-squealing PS pumps.

Sixlitre

·
Super Moderator
4,971 Posts
Definitely have to do this. My wife always knows when I'm home from work because she can hear my power steering pump from in the house. That and my two cats waiting in front of the door for me to come in because they know that 'super loud whining sound from outside = Justin's home.'

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is some leeway, enough for me to get the belt on ya know? I got the belt on easily its just the tensioner didn't move a lot (it did move some) with the belt on when I released tension. I dont want to have to take that pulley off so I will go a size up on the belt if it is a problem. That would do the same thing, correct?

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
Suppose to disconnect the drag link when bleeding the air from the PS, the drag link prevents the steering box from cycling to its stops and therefor trapping air. Done this on a number of fords now and it works every time.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ugh, i didn't drive the truck at all yesterday and I went back to it today expecting to be happy about my new PS pump, but its already making noise similar to the ford pump... is the pump bad (got it out of an e-van) or could there be something else wrong? when I turn the wheels side to side it sounds like a really quiet ford pump with a different pitch to it...

I guess i should have gotten the new cardone one.

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
ugh, i didn't drive the truck at all yesterday and I went back to it today expecting to be happy about my new PS pump, but its already making noise similar to the ford pump... is the pump bad (got it out of an e-van) or could there be something else wrong? when I turn the wheels side to side it sounds like a really quiet ford pump with a different pitch to it...

I guess i should have gotten the new cardone one.
Read the post before this one.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
What fluid do you have in your pump?

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Research would have told you that you're not supposed to run that type of fluid.

Type F is what should be in there, and DEFINITELY not the clear stuff.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i had a feeling about that. I searched and searched and every thread said "power steering fluid" and so, i bought "power steering fluid". Ill bleed it all out and replace it then. How much damage am I doing if I drive 2 miles back home?

·
Currently FSB divorced
956 Posts
I use valvoline synthetic it's clearish and I've had no problems.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts