Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,102 Posts
I've heard only good about Creb.

You could always go for a set of trickflow cleveland heads... that would definitely give more flow.

·
Registered
86 Posts
That's not really a low duration cam... that's longer than the one I showed and more than I believe a speed density engine would want to see. Especially with the 112 LSA.

My AFR 165s came off a 347 running sub 10 second 1/4s

OP, be diligent with those flotek heads. Their quality is questionable
Its low duration enough for no drivability issues. It idles at 650 rpm and pulls 17in hg of vaccum. It runs fine on a stock ford maf computer with a calibrated maf sensor.
Op's bronco is a 96 so it should be maf. No reason for worrying about a speed density specific cam.
You said your afr 165s were ported, which means that they are no longer 165s. Most porters would probably open them to close to the 185s out of the box.
The 10 second mustang they came off of, was it N/A or forced induction? And full weight car or stripped down to save weight?

The 165s are good heads but there is no reason to run them on a 351w when the 185s are the exact same price imo. I also like the Trickflow 170 11r better for the money. Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 170 - Track Heat or 11R
Or even the 190 11r....

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,102 Posts
Correct, but I was referring to the SD because it requires tamer camshafts.

My 300 cam pulls 17 inches at idle too. With a 280 adv duration and 110 lsa. But that's only 6 cylinders.

My 165s were ported, but I dont know to what extent. The fox mustang they came off was a dedicated race car. It was NA. Porting was done with a flowbench. I'm sure you are correct about their size. But I used the stock figures when doing my desktop dyno runs. That's where the 340hp/475tq came from.

I'm not saying that 165s are the only choice... hell the only reason I went with them is they were $900 assembled, vs 1500 new and needing new springs installed. World Sr. and GT40 were others I considered.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Correct, but I was referring to the SD because it requires tamer camshafts.

My 300 cam pulls 17 inches at idle too. With a 280 adv duration and 110 lsa. But that's only 6 cylinders.

My 165s were ported, but I dont know to what extent. The fox mustang they came off was a dedicated race car. It was NA. Porting was done with a flowbench. I'm sure you are correct about their size. But I used the stock figures when doing my desktop dyno runs. That's where the 340hp/475tq came from.

I'm not saying that 165s are the only choice... hell the only reason I went with them is they were $900 assembled, vs 1500 new and needing new springs installed. World Sr. and GT40 were others I considered.
That's a great deal on those.... I would have done the same for that price.
The 165s are a great cylinder head don't get me wrong. My point was OP wouldn't have to worry about lowend less with 185s and they're the same price. The 185s leave room for going 408w in the future... or the Trickflow 11r series. Big advantage to the Trickflow is the increased piston to valve clearance and better out the box valvetrain components. Woody over at fordstrokers convinced me. He builds hundreds of these combos.

I went big heads as I plan on doing a forced induction dart block 363 build in the future. If you go custom cam, then valve timing can make up for a port with large cross sectional area. Moderate to High lift and quick ramp rates and closing the intake valve early trap air and build cylinder pressure. High compression helps as well.

Ls engines come from the factory using some of these ideas. Big high flowing heads and intakes with mild cams and high compression. The l92 heads that came on escalades have about 260cc intake runner stock. No one ever complains about lowend on the factory ls engines.

·
Eric
2,547 Posts
Yeah I definitely leaning towards the trick flows heads. A short block from creb seems interesting. I see nothing but good reviews but they seen pretty cheap.
Trick Flow heads have a 10* rotated valve angle and require special pistons, as @smeans92 stated above. Just a POI if you're building the motor.

·
Addicted to Junk
11,102 Posts
Trick Flow heads have a 10* rotated valve angle and require special pistons, as @smeans92 stated above. Just a POI if you're building the motor.
Definitely worth noting.

However, pistons are nowadays pretty easy to come by. When building my 300 six, I found the aftermarket has virtually no support for it. Only low compression replacements were available.

That left me with 3 choices. 390FE pistons at stock (4.050) or +.010, 351w pistons, or custom. I found a set of Windsor pistons that worked but many go custom. The custom pistons have come down in price to be in line with many off the shelf pistons.

Lol, I'm running 351 sportsman N pistons, .060" over. They are for the 9.2" deck NASCAR / IMSA 351, so the compression height was right where I needed it for my 300.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts