Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT with 1995 5.8L e4OD
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, sorry for another thread about MAF conversion. I have been looking through the forum for a week or so now and am still a little confused about what I am doing wrong here and hope that someone can spell it out for me. I recently purchased a 1989 bko that the previous owner had attempted to replace the motor with a 1995 351. The original e4OD was not changed. The wiring was not completed however all there. It had a WAY1 ecm. I just recently wired everything up to just try and get it running. When I start the motor it fired right up however has a very rough idle due to running too rich. It is so rich that when I give it throttle it blows black like a diesel. I was wondering what could be going on? I am new to the EFI and computer stuff so I am not sure if the ecm needs to be flashed or reprogrammed or what. I have checked O2 sensors. Also I have read that I will need to change the solenoid pack in the e4OD to accommodate for the new ECM, is this all that will need to be done or once again will it need to be tuned somehow? Thanks for any help.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,277 Posts
Hi @Kasey14 , first welcome to the site. When you get a chance, make sure to fill your profile info with the details about your Bronco, year, engine, tranny and so forth..

With regards to the MAF..you say the previous owner put a '95 351 in and the WAY1 EEC, did they also install the MAF harness and sensor? If not that's part of the problem. That MAF setup uses a different injector harness then the SD. There is also a provision in the MAF air box for the the air intake sensor that you're going to need.

Also, you cannot reflash these EEC's. Using a later model EEC on an older tranny will not cause any issues related to the solenoid pack. I'm running the EEC from a '95 on my '92 Bronco with the same year E4OD.

Can you post up some pics..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jermil01, Thanks for the quick response! The whole harness and sensors were swapped with motor so it was basically taking everything out of one and placing it in the '89 I believe because it has the harness for the MAF and a MAF sensor. They had put on a K&N filter so it is a little different ducting but still has the MAF in place. I will have to check the harness for the injectors and make sure that it isn't set up for bank firing instead of the needed sequential firing. I'll definitely post some pictures soon, although she is a little tore apart inside from fixing a lot of the wiring they had tried to do. They had it wired up for a switch and push button start instead of fixing that ignition potmetal actuator in the column.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE: I checked wiring and looked all good except o2 sensor wires were melted in half so I got a new pigtail and plugged in and also reset the computer. idles much better and runs pretty good after I took it for a drive. When I took it driving I noticed however that it would not when placed in "drive". it will shift manually via first and second but when I try to go to third it just revs up and wont shift. any ideas on this? checked fluid level and if anything it is a little overfull. I am old school and no nothing about this electronic shift pattern.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,277 Posts
Sounds like you made some progress..It's really hard to say what the previous owner may or may not have done from a wiring standpoint..It's been so long since I did my swap, but I recall there are differences in the tranny connectors over the various years, definitely from '89 to '92 and on that may need to be repinned. If he used a complete harness from a MAF rig, you 'll want to look at the connector that runs to your tranny and see whether things match up..here's how it should be pinned.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like you made some progress..It's really hard to say what the previous owner may or may not have done from a wiring standpoint..It's been so long since I did my swap, but I recall there are differences in the tranny connectors over the various years, definitely from '89 to '92 and on that may need to be repinned. If he used a complete harness from a MAF rig, you 'll want to look at the connector that runs to your tranny and see whether things match up..here's how it should be pinned.

View attachment 170693
Thanks! I'll give it a look and go from there

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
My issue with shifting into third after my mass air swap was the wiring to the second shift selenoid. I think pin number 57 or something. Pull the codes, it should give you an indication of where to start. The wire in question got damaged during the repin. That seems to be the biggest issue with the conversions. Old, brittle, sensitive wiring.

Good luck.

tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts