Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this on work e-mail. Death gratuity to the surviving family member increases from $12,000 to $100,000. They are also making this retroactive back to 7Oct01. Good stuff for surviving families!

RAAUZYUW RUDIDFD0002 0250815-UUUU--RHMCSUU RUDIDFD
ZNR UUUUU
R 250815Z JAN 06 ZYB
FM DFAS DENVER CO//PMJ//
TO AIG 4580
AIG 4583
AIG 4584
INFO DFAS INDIANAPOLIS IN//FJ/FJH//
DFAS CLEVELAND OH//F/DJ/DDJ/FFI//
DFAS KANSAS CITY MO//FSP//
DFAS HQ ARLINGTON VA//FM//
BT
UNCLAS
MSGID/GENADMIN/DFAS-DE//
SUBJ/DEATH GRATUITY INCREASES TO $100,000.//
RMKS/
1. PUBLIC LAW 109-163, SECTION 644, DATED 6 JANUARY 2006, ALLOWS THE DEATH GRATUITY TO BE INCREASED TO $100,000 REGARDLESS OF WHETHER OR NOT RELATED TO COMBAT. PRIOR TO THIS CHANGE, ONLY THOSE DEATHS RESULTING FROM WOUNDS, INJURIES, OR ILLNESSES INCURRED IN AN OPERATION (I.E. WAR GAMES, TRAINING, ETC.) OR AREA DESIGNATED AS A COMBAT OPERATION OR A COMBAT ZONE WERE AUTHORIZED A DEATH GRATUITY PAYMENT OF $100,000.

2. EFFECTIVE 6 JANUARY 2006, THE DEATH GRATUITY INCREASED FROM $12,805 TO $100,000. THESE PAYMENTS WILL BE MADE BY THE FSO, AS ALWAYS, BUT REQUIRE MULTIPLE PE03 TRANSACTIONS, DUE TO DJMS-AC SYSTEM CONSTRAINTS. THE WORKAROUND TO POST THE PAYMENT ($100,000.00) OF A DEATH GRATUITY IS TO HAVE THE FINANCE OFFICE SUBMIT TWO DEATH GRATUITY PAYMENTS (PE03S) FOR $6,000.00 EACH. THE VOUCHER NUMBER CAN BE THE SAME BUT THE EFFECTIVE DATES SHOULD BE ONE DAY DIFFERENT. AFTER THE PE03S PROCESS THE FINANCE OFFICE MUST, REPEAT MUST, ESTABLISH A CMS CASE TO NOTIFY CENTRAL SITE OF THE PAYMENT. THE CMS CASE MUST CONTAIN THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:

(1) MEMBER'S NAME
(2) SSN
(3) DATE OF DEATH GRATUITY PAYMENT
(4) AMOUNT PAID AND VOUCHER NUMBER
(5) VERIFICATION THAT PE03S WERE POSTED AS DIRECTED ABOVE
(6) BENEFICIARY INFORMATION, INCLUDING NAMES, SSNS, ADDRESSES, EFT INFORMATION (IF AVAILABLE).
CENTRAL SITE WILL OVERLAY THE AMOUNT ($50,000.00 EACH) IN THE MEMO ENTRIES (N4S) CREATED FROM THE PE03 TRANSACTION PROCESS. DJMS-AC WILL NOT ACCEPT A PE03 FOR LESS THAN $800 OR GREATER THAN $6,000, SO WE HAVE TO SPLIT THEM UP AS DIRECTED ABOVE.

3. PUBLIC LAW 109-163 ALSO EXTENDED THE INCREASE IN DEATH GRATUITY PAYMENTS BACK TO 7 OCTOBER 2001. DFAS-DE WILL BE WORKING WITH HQ-AFPC/DPFCS (CASUALTY SERVICES BRANCH) TO IDENTIFY THOSE MEMBERS WHO ARE DUE THE DEATH GRATUITY INCREASE. CENTRAL SITE WILL BE MAKING THE RETRO PAYMENTS FOR BOTH DEATH GRATUITY AND ADDITIONAL SGLI. FSO'S ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR DEATH GRATUITY PAYMENTS BEGINNING 6 JANUARY 2006 IN THE AMOUNT OF $100,000.

4. THIS MESSAGE WAS COORDINATED WITH AFAFO.
5. BASES SHOULD CONTACT MAJCOMS FOR ASSISTANCE. MAJCOMS MAY CONTACT DFAS-PMJPA/DE.//
BT
NNNN

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Excellent!!

BTW, that bill was introduced by Sen John Kerry ;) It definitely was not enough before (no amount is really, but $12k isn't crap).

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
It's about damn time. It always just pissed me off that survivors of people in the twin towers were getting a million dollars or more because their family member was in the wrong place at the wrong time but military member survivors get 12K and SGLI(which is life insurance they had to pay for). What makes them anymore entitled to all that cash than the survivor of somebody who put themselves in harm's way knowingly to protect their country or the life of others? Then when I heard a lot of them were bitching that it wasn't enough I just couldn't stand it, I don't want to hear anymore about that situation. Look know I'm getting myself all worked up.
Glad they're doing something for servicemembers, I agree it should be more though.

·
FJ80 Expedition Rig
1,461 Posts
The military definately offers life insurance out the rectum now. Including SGLI, I have over $1mil to be dispersed between my mother father and brothers.

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
yeah i saw that too. When is uncle sugar going to realize that we in the military dont get paid shit, and when they ass rape us on taxes, and dont give us EIC or the child tax credit it hurts. But you know fighting to keep everyone free isnt as important as singing a pop song now is it

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imlikeojnow said:
yeah i saw that too. When is uncle sugar going to realize that we in the military dont get paid shit, and when they ass rape us on taxes, and dont give us EIC or the child tax credit it hurts. But you know fighting to keep everyone free isnt as important as singing a pop song now is it
You don't qualify for EIC, or child tax credit? I qualified for it again this year, although not at the full rate due to my income. FYI- E6 at 10 years service, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts