Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
1,566 Posts
Cool looking Bronco for sure & I second the suggestion on updating the cowl, or adding a screen mesh to the back side to keep debris out if you want to keep your original patina.

That's the 1st time I've seen a non a/c heater box & its really small & cleans up the engine bay nicely! I would pull the cowl, heater core & heater box & look for debris in there, it is often clogged full with sticks, leaves, mouse nests, ect. & besides drastically reducing airflow to your heater vents, it can also be a fire hazzard.

If the hvac cavity is full of debris, chances are it is, then the cowl may be full of that stuff too which can rust it out. Clean all that out & if its good & solid still, apply a fresh coating of seam seal in there to stop any leaks from entering the cabin, which are often mistaken for windshield leaks & that water will get to the floors and start rusting them out as well. Yours looks like a much more solid starting point than mine tho, so hopefully much easier to make nice!!

Check out my build thread at the bottom of my post on my 86, pretty extensive rebuild I'm still not done with yet on an 86.

Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
1,566 Posts
There is a cover that comes off with the big open slots that let all that stuff in, but under that, the box section that forms the cowl itself & holds the wipers & wiper motor is all welded in. Mine was absolutely wasted, gone, rusted thru so I cut mine off in pieces, (cuz I didn't realize how bad it was) but it would be better to cut off in 1 big piece, but a big p.i.t.a. either way... see my build thread, but fingers crossed yours isn't that bad & some cleaning, rust inhibitor, seam sealer, & you're on your way... mine was a Tennessee truck, moved to michigan, and i suspect the road salt got mine, which I don't believe is as bad in Colorado. There's an 87-91 cowl for reference with the correct hood lines & smaller holes verses the 80-86 open slots. Don't panic, yours may be fine!

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Trunk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts