Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive searched and came up with nothing. when i turn the key on everything comes on, radio lights ect. but when i turn the key to run/start the solenoid makes a sound like someone is taping on the fender. I tried to jump the solenoid and only hear a click from the drivers side. ive tired to put the truck in neutral, nothing. ive replaced the starter the solenoid and the battery. still nothing. i even tried to jump start the truck. nothing. help!!! 1990 fsb 5.8.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Haha! YUP YUP! Tru s*yt!

I do the same thing everyday! i just use a piece of copper pipe tho but i guess screwdrivers good 2!!

Yea dont be scared it wont shock ya!!

·
Registered
‘90 EB Full Custom build -Mega Truck Bogger
536 Posts
ive searched and came up with nothing. when i turn the key on everything comes on, radio lights ect. but when i turn the key to run/start the solenoid makes a sound like someone is taping on the fender. I tried to jump the solenoid and only hear a click from the drivers side. ive tired to put the truck in neutral, nothing. ive replaced the starter the solenoid and the battery. still nothing. i even tried to jump start the truck. nothing. help!!! 1990 fsb 5.8.
You dont have a good connection...period.......if you have a good charge on the battery and a good starter you can turn that motor over.....the only other thing you need is a healthy circuit path to AND from your starter to your battery...forget your solenoid... it doesnt matter if it works or not take a good shiney screwdriver and jam it between the big solenoid posts (doing this bypasses the solenoid and puts voltage directly to the starter) if you dont see sparks AND your motor turning over then you dont have a good voltage path to the starter OR back to the battery(through the frame/motor mount back to negative post on battery) check your connections AND cable...I had to replace the cable from my solenoid to my starter once because of a bad spot in the cable.....it really is that simple...this will turn your motor over..PROMISE! but firing it off and cranking it up could be another story...:toothless

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
by jumping it i mean taking two screwdrivers and touching them to the two posts on the solenoid. then touching the screwdrivers to eachother. sparks were all i got. thanks for the hints tho mud horse. if all else fails ill try replacing the wires... anything else to try before that?

·
Registered
536 Posts
by jumping it i mean taking two screwdrivers and touching them to the two posts on the solenoid. then touching the screwdrivers to eachother. sparks were all i got. thanks for the hints tho mud horse. if all else fails ill try replacing the wires... anything else to try before that?
well you said you replaced your starter already so that should be good to go but you can always take it to the auto parts store and have it checked to make sure its good....look for the no-brainers too...when it comes to cnducting electricity...jus being metal to metal isnt good enough sometimes...look for tarnished lugs/connectors that arent shiney anymore...sometimes oxidation inhibits current flow...buff them up or replace them....of course get rid of any dirt and corrosion...make sure your starter isnt loosely mounted or jammed up..(sometimes they can get wedged teeth..I even had mud get to my flywheel and dry up around the starter one time) you can take a large socket and breaker bar to your harmonic balancer pulley and manually rotate your motor over to make sure its free....but if you dont have a reason to expect a seized motor your prolly fine and dont need to do that....instaed of using TWO scredivers...just sacrifice one and get as much metal as you can on the posts or use jumper cables and conncet one end to the starter cable and touch the other end to the posive battery post..you should see movement man!

·
I'm stuck :)
724 Posts
well one time when we were putting the battery back in i accidentally touched my socket from the pos post to the solenoid and it turned over but the key wasnt on and the fuel pump was not running? what might that be?

·
Registered
536 Posts
well one time when we were putting the battery back in i accidentally touched my socket from the pos post to the solenoid and it turned over but the key wasnt on and the fuel pump was not running? what might that be?
you bypassed the starting circuit when you did that..its like taking the cable off the starter and connecting it to the battery....you put straight battery voltage to the starter that way

·
724 Posts
is that bad? like i said tho it attempted to fire up. this may be a a stupid question, but would it be anything to do with the alternator?... i might be getting ahead of myself but im just kinda picking threw electrical stuff now... this way when we do replace the wires and if it still dont work ill know what direction to head ya know?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Don't worry about that. You have a bad contact somewhere or a bad cable. Clean and tighten all your grounds. Replace cable from battery to starter.

·
Registered
536 Posts
is that bad? like i said tho it attempted to fire up. this may be a a stupid question, but would it be anything to do with the alternator?... i might be getting ahead of myself but im just kinda picking threw electrical stuff now... this way when we do replace the wires and if it still dont work ill know what direction to head ya know?
no its not bad..thats what you do to test the circuit..you bypass the solenoid by jumping/shorting the big posts together on the solenoid....its a common way of determining whats working and what isnt when troubleshooting the start circuit...if your key was on and the fuel pump was running when you did this your truck would start up and run....asfor the alternator..it has nothing to do with the starter or the ignition circuit...it provides power AFTER the truck is started and running....if the truck isnt running then the alternator isnt spinning and cant make power...the alternators job is to run your trucks accesories and charge your battery....when most alternators fail it is usually the power convertor that fails that is attached to the alternator and not the alternator itself...it has a voltage regulator attached to it that turns the AC voltage into DC voltage so your truck and battery can use it..if its not putting out voltage over 12 volts then it cant charge your battery (typical is 13-14 vdc output)

·
724 Posts
ok well tomorrow well start in on that. one of us will post on the prgress thanks guys.

·
724 Posts
ok then forsure the alternator has nothing to do with it. my next question would be... what is the click from the drivers side? would that be the relays engaging?

·
Registered
536 Posts
ok then forsure the alternator has nothing to do with it. my next question would be... what is the click from the drivers side? would that be the relays engaging?
yes... you should have two relays pick up when you hit the key to start the truck ..one is your ecm relay and that sends power to your fuel pump relay to start your fuel pump so the motor gets gas...its all in the Haynes manual boys..pick one up at your local autoparts store..we will help you read it.

·
724 Posts
lol i have one right next to me. lol where do u think im pulling out all these random questions? i read somewhere on here about the nss... we tried to start the truck in neutral, but it just did the same thing... does that mean that the safety switch is good? and due to the fact that the relays engage that rules out anything in the column correct?

·
Registered
536 Posts
lol i have one right next to me. lol where do u think im pulling out all these random questions? i read somewhere on here about the nss... we tried to start the truck in neutral, but it just did the same thing... does that mean that the safety switch is good? and due to the fact that the relays engage that rules out anything in the column correct?
ok wait a minute..slow down and dont get ahead of yourself...first things first..work on turning the motor over....if your hearing a click from the relays you should also hear the low hum of the fuel pump running.....turn your motor over then worry about ignition..first get it to crank....dont tear your truck apart without starting at the beginning.......the secret to troubleshooting is this: SEQUENCE OF OPERATION! in other words what order do things happen...what was the last thing that happened and what didnt happen next....that will set the pace for the direction you move in...fwd in the circuit or bacwd.

·
724 Posts
ok.. so stick close to the solenoid? i.e. the cables to the starter and the battery? and yes the fuel pump does engage. and like i said before the solenoid jump is the closest weve been to havin the truck running...

·
Registered
536 Posts
ok.. so stick close to the solenoid? i.e. the cables to the starter and the battery? and yes the fuel pump does engage. and like i said before the solenoid jump is the closest weve been to havin the truck running...
I think if you do what was already instructed you will find your truck will start up for you. Get te engine to turn over first-ENGAGE the starter by doing what we all told you to do....in the morning go out to your truck with jumper cables and take the starter cable off the solenoid....hook a red jumper cable jaw to it and hold the jumper cable....take the other red jaw and touch it or grip the positive battery post withit...it will spark if you have a path to ground..this is a good thing because it means you have a complete circuit...dont be afraid to hold the jaw on the post..get good contact...it will continue to spark and arc if you make intermitant contact...hold it on there and it will only spark once ..intially when you touch it to the post..your engine should turn over..if nothing happens try connecting it directly to the starter terminal and try again....A new cable doesnt cost much and good clean connections are priceless...check the tightness of your negative battery connections too....you can have lights on your dash with a poor ground that isnt good enough to start your truck....your battery connections should not move at all they should be tight! good luck..im off to bed

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey thanks for the help Mudhorse, when I get all of my court costs paid off i'll probably start on my truck. Thanks for the good helpful tips!.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts