Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've owned my Bronco for about a month now. The rear window is stuck all the way up. When I push the dash switch nothing at all happens, no noises anywhere. Where should I start? I'd like to be able to open my tailgate :banghead

·
A broke kid with a bronco
4,065 Posts
You start by searching!:thumbup

Somewhere in the stickies there is a complete break down of trouble shooting tips. El kabong (I know that probally not close to how his name is spelled but it's the best I can do) is the writer or compiler.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks...

·
Registered
67 Posts
If it helps DMiller, I recently fixed mine and didn't know where to start. I did a lot of reading on here so I understand how it's a little tough to sort through everything you find relating to this.

Based on my experiences, here's my opinion.

First, take off the access panel and unplug the window motor connector. You'll find it toward the center at the bottom inside the access panel. It should have a red and and yellow wire. I took a long jump from my batter to the back of the vehicle and got comfy inside. If you take the wires and touch them to the motor wires (red to red and black to yellow) it will make the motor move one direction (red to yellow and black to red) and in reverse the other direction. I don't remember which is which.... This will tell you whether or not the motor is working. From all of my research... it usually is!

Next, if that tests okay... the window is controllable like this, you've just eliminated the motor and the assembly that lifts and lowers the window. If the motor doesn't work, it's only 3 bolts holding it in place... tight getting your hand in there but very do-able.

If your motor works, it's just a matter of tracing down the issue from there. It will be either the door not closing properly, the wiring having a short, a bad switch at the dash or a fuse. Mine was the door not closing all the way. The previous owner thought the window was broken but just hadn't closed the back door all the way. Score. Regardless, inspect the harness and fix any oddities while you're in there. While troubleshooting mine I was also able to re-solder a connection for the deforst and fix that, too.

Once you know your motor works, though... then start searching on here for great switch and harness troubleshooting techniques... there's a lot of info so it's a bit menacing finding something that speaks properly to you... but it's there! I hope my tip with testing the motor helps.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
your switch on the dash is bad

·
Registered
2 Posts
You know what is also a great resource for information on a bronco...the manual. It has almost everything in in it. I would start there.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Mine was stuck up when i bought mine. Came to find that the square plastic sliders had slid out if the track and turned not allowing it to go down. After fighting with it everytime i put thewindow up, i went to the jy and got anouther track and extending mine about an inch.

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
I would do like Seth suggests. Get power to the Motor. Get the window down. Open the tailgate. Check your Striker Bushings. This is usually part of the problem. If yours are gone or replaced with Electrical Tape. Replace them. Its a 5 minute job. What the problem is, the Drivers side latch has a safety switch built into it. If the latch doesn't close all the way it cuts power to the switch. Once you are sure this is not the problem, then Look at where the wiring harness goes thru the tailgate to the body. Inspect the wires here for bare spots, shorts, wear spots. Tape any up really good. If all that is ok, Remove the left Tail Light. Look inside here where the wiring goes thru for more damage, wear, shorts. No problems there, Then Its time to break out the multimeter and do some testing for voltage. There is a good wiring diagram in some of the tailgate threads everyone should print and keep a copy of.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yep.... Jowens pretty much described what you'll find on the best threads here for troubleshooting it. Some of those threads have way more info than you'll find in the book, too. While I agree that the book is a great resource, this forum is priceless and when it comes to common issues, it's far more informative! It's great getting advice from someone who has some experience with what you're dealing with yourself.

Get power to the motor and see what happens... it will guide you in the right direction. Let us know!

·
Registered
90 Posts
out of the three broncos I've had, never had a working dash switch. seems like 90% of the time the problem is in one of the two. Hell, I've seen people with a "re purposed" drop cord and motorcycle as their "rear window switch" :toothless

·
Registered
203 Posts
inside the tailgate, disconnect the plastic connector from the driver side latch and use a wire to close the connection between the 2 pins inside the plastic connector. Try the dash switch after doing so. This will eliminate the latch as a cause if it still doesn't work. If it works your done and the dash switch is good.
You can also disconnect the connector for the motor in the middle of the tailgate towards the bottom and apply power (fused to be safe) directly from the battery to try and open or close the window. reversing the polarity will make the window go in the opposite direction. If this works you know the motor is good, if not the motor is bad. Hope this helps

·
Registered
753 Posts
If it helps DMiller, I recently fixed mine and didn't know where to start. I did a lot of reading on here so I understand how it's a little tough to sort through everything you find relating to this.

Based on my experiences, here's my opinion.

First, take off the access panel and unplug the window motor connector. You'll find it toward the center at the bottom inside the access panel. It should have a red and and yellow wire. I took a long jump from my batter to the back of the vehicle and got comfy inside. If you take the wires and touch them to the motor wires (red to red and black to yellow) it will make the motor move one direction (red to yellow and black to red) and in reverse the other direction. I don't remember which is which.... This will tell you whether or not the motor is working. From all of my research... it usually is!

Next, if that tests okay... the window is controllable like this, you've just eliminated the motor and the assembly that lifts and lowers the window. If the motor doesn't work, it's only 3 bolts holding it in place... tight getting your hand in there but very do-able.

If your motor works, it's just a matter of tracing down the issue from there. It will be either the door not closing properly, the wiring having a short, a bad switch at the dash or a fuse. Mine was the door not closing all the way. The previous owner thought the window was broken but just hadn't closed the back door all the way. Score. Regardless, inspect the harness and fix any oddities while you're in there. While troubleshooting mine I was also able to re-solder a connection for the deforst and fix that, too.

Once you know your motor works, though... then start searching on here for great switch and harness troubleshooting techniques... there's a lot of info so it's a bit menacing finding something that speaks properly to you... but it's there! I hope my tip with testing the motor helps.
In the future, instead of running leads from the battery way back to your motor, just use a 9V battery. It will run slower, but you'll be able to tell if the motor works or not.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Basssque,

You nailed it!
I bow to you, sir. You've just made a frustrating evening far more bearable.

I jumped the connector, and the dash switch and key switches now work fine. I've never had a problem with my window until today. It rolled up nicely last night, but would not roll down today. Neither the dash nor the key switch would work. Now they both do (thanks to your little trick) and I've been able to shut the door tightly and all is well, but you know what? I'm leaving it jumped. Enough nonsense. I'll take my chances with not using the lock-out feature.

Thanks again-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts