Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got done searching for a good hour, reading through all the posts and seeing pics of it all and what not.

I'm in the search for a cheap shaker mock-up like I've seen on here. Ever since I watched the build up pics from Randy. This has been something I've wanted to do. I know exactly what I need to do and should take me a good week or so, depending on how much I work with it.

From what I've seen get:
-airbox to extend the shaker out
-cookie sheet, haha
-shaker assembly/hood scoop
-cut the hood and all that

Is there anything I'm missing? I figured this would give me a good reason to get a drop in k&n since the other one crapped out on me. Long story....
But my last question is, Since I'm looking for a cheap way, is it possible to buy just a hood scoop and fab that up at all? I've been through a lot of threads about this, but want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything during this process. Thanks a lot,
-Shawn

-EDIT- Also was thnking about getting a few pvc pipes from lowes and such, just so the air turbulance isn't unbalanced going into the carb. Any suggestions on that would help as well.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
Shawn, are you carbed on that 86??? I'm swapping engines since my 351W H.O. is blown up, might make you a good deal on my set up. I think if you have EFI, a Shaker would be alot easier to fab. I did tons of research doing my Shaker build, that's why it took six months to fab the "adapter". Whatever engine I go with (351W Lightning or 460), I think I can keep the Shaker scoop and hood. But the air flow from scoop to intake will be different, so I can't use the one for my 351W 4bbl carb. You can post questions in this post rather than send me a PM, so you may get more responses, but you can PM me on any of the "secret" info on the adapter. It's my "patent pending", but I can give some links to others that have done similar to their Ford trucks. I also have some links to oringinal/NOS Shaker suppliers for the Ford Mustang and Grand Torino. Some of those kits are $1800 for a functional system, and I didn't want to cut up something that valuable or spend that much. The scoop and carb base I bought from Australia was cheaper due to their exchange rate, and fit the closest to my 351W since it was for the Ford Falcon GT 351C. Those Aussie's are nuts about Ford motors, and I was lucky to have worked over there and seen some cool mods. JSM84

Edit: I'll post a link to another dude that has a cleaner build-up than mine for his 87 carbed Shaker:

http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.com/mygallery.ten-id-1245-album-31804

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yah I'm looking for something that won't break the budget a lot. I know it'll cost a lil more, but I just don't want to be spending every little penny on this project. I just want something as cheap as possible and that'll still look good. I've read through all of your postings on the project you did and already went out and measured the front spacing for the carb to fit whatever I need to. Also marked where I would need to cut the hood. If all fails, I'm gonna do this ghetto style:thumbup Just fab up everything I can with leftover peices laying around the house from all the build-ups and shat my bro has done to his f150 and f350. So any help would be strongly thankful.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
This pic shows how Shawn designed the airbox to fit the scoop into the hood:

I had also fabricated a similar style of box for my engine, and found a couple of fiberglass hood scoops that look like this. Those were under $100 from JC Whitney or other racing sites and fiberglass scoop vendors. I was able to use the large Shaker base in my case with minor trimming on the back side near the firewall. That base is 18" in diameter and may not fit your engine depending on location of hoses and brackets. I can tell you that the "box" was rather large and interfered with the AC lines, but would be the cheapest to make out of fiberglass or heavy plastic (something like the thickness of the radiator shroud). If you can come up with a design and get it built in a week, you are a master builder.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yah I have tons of time on my hands for these next few weeks. Semester ends here in a few weeks for college, finished up early though due to instructors leaving early. I will also have my brother helping me on this project. Once I get paid I'm going to buy a scoop and start measuring some more.
A question I have to ask ya is do you have any diagrams or measurements that you used that would help me? Im running an '85 351w Carb'd. From all the researching I've been doing on, google'd it and asked all of my friends who have done it before on old muscle cars, they helped out a lot there. But this is a whole diff set-up doing it on a bronco.

And I'm not looking for the best show quality and what not. Just need it to look good in my eyes. Because than it will look good.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
Diagrams??? Measurements??? Err, I just built the midplate adapter by eye so the scoop fit the hole in the hood and was level, since the engine is tilted toward the firewall. I did not draw any diagrams or sketches, but I do have some measurements in the comments section on a few pics at Superford.org and FordTruckWorld.com

I can load up a few pics of different ideas I had using that large airbox, pieces of an old radiator shroud and such. JSM84

http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.com/mygallery.ten-id-3561-album-19206

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So now that I got paid. I'm trying to get everything together. Not sure which style of scoop I want to get. Some input would greatly be appreciated. Also to make one that won't be to hard of a design to fab up the midplate.

I've been kind of looking towards 'F' just because of it's design and shape. But what do you guys think?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I'd pick F, G, or N if the bottom flared out part would be under the hood. It'd look good :thumbup

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so did you order one from the website or fab up your own? If you ordered it, what did you do after that. It seems like I jumped into a big hole and little by little I can start to inch out of it! haha. Yah I didn't realize how big of a project this is, but well worth it

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
I scrapped the idea of that big box on top of the carb since it looked too darn big and the AC lines were in the way. That is just one option you may consider. After a few designs, I came up with a custom mid-plate adapter using the Shaker base that came with the kit. The kit from Rare Spares in Australia included the scoop, top plate, midplate and base. I trimmed the back of the base and used fiberglass to seal it up. Then using the top half of the air cleaner box from my 88 parts Bronco, I made a mid-plate adapter that fit the base and set the scoop at the correct height. That is my "Secret" to the project, as well as the size of the opening inside the adpater for airflow and to keep water out of the inside.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts