Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I shattered my rear windshield I decided it was a good time to just replace the whole gate, since mine was completley rusted out... so I got a gate from fomocopower here, hooked it up but the rear window wouldnt go all the way up whith assistance. So I figured the motor was worn out, so I swapped that one out with the one I had in my previous gate, and it seems slower...:banghead even with the truck running (for more power to the motor?) it wont go up unless its "assisted", and then It wants to go inward and not stay in the window track (on the hard top)...

Any hints/suggestions?

Idk if steve83 has had this issue or not...

Thanks yall :thumbup

·
Teddy Bear
2,209 Posts
id check steve83's supermotors page anyway to see if there might be something your missing, did you check your haynes/chilton?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got haynes, not chilton... not much there helpin...

·
Banned
22,427 Posts
What year is the Bronco? What year is the new gate? What year is the glass? Did you assemble the t/g, or just install it out of the box? It sounds like you've mixed years, or something isn't aligned.

My photos & diagrams show just about everything you need to know, so look at each one & read all the captions.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ham: yes Greased em all up.

Steve: Its a 78, with a 78-79 gate, with 78-79 window im pretty sure, the window is, it came with the gate...ill check out your sig... thanks

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checked your sig... read them all but nothing helped...any ideas what might be weak or w/e on the motor? motor not getting enough power maybe? help...

·
Banned
22,427 Posts
Check voltage across the R & Y wires while the motor is running - it should be within 0.5V of the battery. Make sure you have the t/g aligned to the body, fully closed, and that the glass lines up with the run in the camper shell.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK update...

When I closed the gate I was not able to get it to go back down, at either the key, or the "master?" switch (in the dash), so I did the jumper cables thing to get it back down, Ive metered it and it goes up at 11.9V at the key switch but when I hit the key switch going down nothing... the master switch does not do anything at all... Ive checked the wiring all through the truck to the point where it goes in the cab, then I cant find the wires... I looked at the diagram from http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59986 and I cant figure any thing out...

Any sugestions?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
You could do what I wanted to do when mine shattered, get a soft top. Remove the glass from the gate. Truck will be a little lighter.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Steve83 said:
If you can't figure it out, take it to a pro. :shrug
Ya its lookin like that know, just did want to pay for a pro is all :banghead

my dad suggested meterin the dash switch, maybe it went out...

88pimpin: You could do what I wanted to do when mine shattered, get a soft top. Remove the glass from the gate. Truck will be a little lighter.

I already got new glass etc. and if I want the hard top for taking passengers I cant take any...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its original Ford gate, not after market...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ham said:
Have you greased the tracks?
Dont want to hijack, but had a slowness issue with my tailgate.... do you guys just spray white grease into the tracks or silicone? I have sprayed the crap out of my with silicone and it helped but still isn't good.. I assume my motor is on the way out or mechanism is rusting together (which i also sprayed the shit out of with white lithium/silicone)....

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
steve_oo said:
Dont want to hijack, but had a slowness issue with my tailgate.... do you guys just spray white grease into the tracks or silicone? I have sprayed the crap out of my with silicone and it helped but still isn't good.. I assume my motor is on the way out or mechanism is rusting together (which i also sprayed the shit out of with white lithium/silicone)....
If the motor is going up real slow or almost not at all, but it seems to go down much better.......it is usually the torque pins (or whatever their called) those little plastic dowels. You can get the replacements at Auto Zone in the HELP! section.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Streetgang said:
If the motor is going up real slow or almost not at all, but it seems to go down much better.......it is usually the torque pins (or whatever their called) those little plastic dowels. You can get the replacements at Auto Zone in the HELP! section.
I was doing some digging around and folks were saying it was only torque pins of the motor was making noise and not going up... mine definately goes down fine, up is a battle depending on whether the motor is running or not....:banghead

what you guys think, motor or torquepins, I already greased everything possible in sight :cry

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Well if the motor is turning.....you can hear or feel it, but the glass will not go up with out you "helping" it along, I would say its the torque pins.

If you do not hear/feel the motor turning, I would look elsewhere......like the safety switch, or the TG harness where it folds when you close the gate.....or just behind the left side tail light......check for a boogered up wire......and make sure you got 12VDC at the motor harness.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts