Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It all starts with taking a top and cutting out the main part and leaving enough for snaps and a top rail. The top rail came from a jeep windshield for a bikini top. There is plastic lip piece sewn on the top to slide into the rail.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
I then took it to a fiberglass man to clean up the rough edges and fill in the gaps.

[/IMG]

The top was made with two loops sewn underneath to help with the flapping you get a 60mph
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
I put a piece of conduit through the front loop and bent both ends to 90degrees. They were then cut apart to help with storage. Each end slides into the straight piece. If you look at the ends of the conduit they have bimini top fittings on them.(boat supply store)
[/IMG]These attach to brackets bolted to the trim panel just below the rear speakers. This bar will be directly behind the passenger seat when the seat is folded up.
[/IMG]

The second bar is just a straight piece of conduit that attaches to brackets on the side. (Boat supply store)

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
The back section of the tonneau cover snaps to a custom made aluminum bracket that hinges up and down to allow access to the tailgate lever. It has a rubber seal on the back to prevent scratching the tailgate
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

I've probably got 6 to 8 months in from start to finish perfecting and debugging the cover. It just withstood a 10 hour trip to the beach with no issues. It is actually quieter inside the cab than with the regular top on.
Don't ask how much $$$ was invested. It's not cheap.
[/IMG]
The upholstery guy says the material is just marine grade vinyl. It's what he uses to recover boat seats.

Bikini top write up will come later.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Do you have measurements of the bows and the vinyl?

·
Call an amberlamps!
1,349 Posts
How many yards of material did you use?
I made one similar out of canvas and was looking to upgrade to Marine Vinyl (sunbrella)

·
Registered
834 Posts
Beautiful...
I am planning on a similar design except I am going to sew in a long magnet where the tailgate will be. I am hoping that the magnet, combined with the snaps on either end (in the fiberglass) will be enough to hold it down.
I am also going to use a combonation of snaps (like you have) and velcro.
And funally, I was THINKING about having a two peice cover where the "duster" part will be one and then velcro will connect it to the "windjammer" part behind the front seats. right now, I am trying to buy everything before I take the sawzall to the top because once you start, there is no turning back.
I am also planning on building a full top but, until I learn how to make the bows and such, the toneau style will have to do.
The top rail from the Jeep is really cool. I was wondering how to do that and I am really digging the way you pulled it off so, I am gonna have to steal that one from you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I cut a top to make this. Found one for $100. Still have the original one.
The magnet idea sounds good, I might steal that one back. Keep me posted if you find a magnet strong enough.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I yank my top off in about 10 minutes by myself. If it were more difficult I'd consider a bikini for the summer, but the trouble of a bikini top or the cost to make it good like we see here drives me away.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I yank my top off in about 10 minutes by myself. If it were more difficult I'd consider a bikini for the summer, but the trouble of a bikini top or the cost to make it good like we see here drives me away.
Only 10 minute is good, but when you are 50 miles away from home and unexpected rain sets in for the evening your gonna be all wet. That's the reason I made the top I have now. Just completed it about 2 weeks ago.

I really like the front connection on this, even if it did come off a Jeep :) ...
Looks great!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Only 10 minute is good, but when you are 50 miles away from home and unexpected rain sets in for the evening your gonna be all wet. That's the reason I made the top I have now. Just completed it about 2 weeks ago.
Right, that's the obvious convenience of the ragtop. I don't travel too far the the bronco:toothless

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a cover, and would like to install but I am missing that top rail. Do you have a part number, brand or where I might find one long enough for across the top of the bronco?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts