Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Gang, you can all go review past posts from ColoradoBronc and Plug regarding the Cage Offroad Radius arms, but here is some further detail concerning my shop visit, purchase of 2 sets of arms (no, 1 pair is not a backup in case of bending, those running these will understand why), Xmember for E4OD newer broncs, Weld on elimination C bracket (for D60 guys wanting coils), Shocks, etc.

:beer

1st, let me address the xmember for E4OD. I want to hit this in case Jim reads this post. I have no intention of giving details of his design or any other design items I saw. :duh :banghead

Because it is just that, his thinking.

Anyway, they looked at my stock xmember carefully and Jim has an idea that I think will work very well, easy to install, and will be a total replacement without much work. Very cool thing is I thought this may take him some time to develop, but with my visit today, he was able to see first hand. I think once he does a trial, he will have the setup to sell. The trial, well, if all works out, Jim may be coming down to my house for the trial in early June, as in, fab it up on my truck once it's to the point I am ready for it. :chili: :clap Is that a dedicated 4 wheeling company or what?

As if I need to say anything further about the folks at Cage (yes Plug you're right, Jim knows his shit, will stand behind it, and is just a cool guy):

Jim and Matt were extremely cool and accomodating and spent considerable time with me. They are an Oregon based company, and I think every detail has been well thought out with their products, down to the fact that the weld work is very nice, the products suit the intended use (more for those using their rigs regularly off-road, at least the stuff we are intersted in), even the packaging was done carefully, with a great set of installation instructions (which don't pertain to us 80-96ers, but hey, it's still good work).

Jim has several rigs at the shop. The funnest of course was his Yellow EB with 40" MTR's, D60/D60. He has a rock pile out front, so he took me for a ride :chili: :rockon Schweett. Several times. :chili: And then once or twice more for good measure. :clap He managed to drag a few boulders off his pile. All this without his ARB front being able to be engaged. The suspesion was really hooking up great. Nice item with this ride is he has the weld on C piece for the axle to bolt to the radius arm. So I would think if you D60 front guys start giving Jim some crap, he will get around to marketing these bad boys. This would also work for a HD D44 leaf sprung if someone was wanting to use coils. Jim seems to be very good at desinging stuff that is simple. These weld on's would also likely incorporate the lower coil mount.

Shocks Everyone probably knows by now that Cage has a line of shocks now. They are very nicely priced currently $38 IIRC, and through month end you can get buy 3 get 1 free and free shipping as well, again IIRC from their site. How can you go wrong here?

My thinking is that since these shocks are gas charged, they will work well with softer coils, providing a firmer feel on-road, without interfering with off road.

Finally, don't think Jim paid me to post this. :twak I was just very impressed with the product I purchased (hopefully it goes together as easy as it appears to be working out), and with the people backing it. Folks that are now using Cage items can attest to quality. I mainly wanted to give an update on some items that have been keeping people from buying some of the product. Stayed tuned on the E4OD Xmember especially.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am glad that all went well, and it sounds like Jim is one heck of a guy :thumbup

I cant wait to see those arms...and thanks again for picking my pair up for me :beer ;)

Anyway, about that xmember...That would be sweet if he would actually sell one specifically designed for us E4OD guys.....bolt it, no having to weld the RA brackets to frame, no cutting and bracing of stock xmember, etc. :chili:

For him to actually come down to your place and fab up the xmember, is exactly what you said....A very dedicated 4 wheeling company, whom gladly gets my business :beer

-I will plan on stopping by your place tomorrow...I want to hear more about this xmember :chili: :clap :beer

Nick~

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,531 Posts
good news, cant wait to see what he comes up with on the e4od setup. Im sure I will be buying a set once he gets those details hammered out.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
outta everywhere that i have shopped for stuff for my truck, these guys have been the best. i spoke to matt just the other day when i ordered my shocks.
i just hung my axle today, with a set of their arms. they will be the nicest thing on my rig. these guys are alright :thumbup and make top quality stuff.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet guys! And glad to hear you were happy with the product/service Gearhead. I forgot to mention Hauskraft as well. I know he is still "tuning" at this point, so we'll see what he may have to say.

Nick, on the xmember design, there still will be welding required. The radius arm bracket must be welded to our frames once positioning is established. But that really is a total non issue.

Dustin, I know you were wanting something with the xmember, so if you can wait a bit longer, I think you'll likey! :thumbup

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
I talked to matt, great customer service, nice guy! Yes their shocks are VERY inexpensive for their "worth", nitrogen shocks, etc, etc...

I cant wait to get my shocks on to see how they work :thumbup

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,531 Posts
thejuice said:
Dustin, I know you were wanting something with the xmember, so if you can wait a bit longer, I think you'll likely! :thumbup
did you happen to inquiry about a ball park price for the crossmember?

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dustin said:
did you happen to inquiry about a ball park price for the crossmember?
No, but Jim's idea really is simple. My guess is very reasonable, but keep in mind, as you know, price of friggin steel these days.

My thinking just from a marketing standpoint, is 1) no need to modify those nice arms, and so 2) for those of us with E4OD this would just be a slight added cost to make the swap that much easier.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JoeBob1901 said:
I talked to matt, great customer service, nice guy! Yes their shocks are VERY inexpensive for their "worth", nitrogen shocks, etc, etc...

I cant wait to get my shocks on to see how they work :thumbup
Sweet dude! I've experienced them on the EB, and wish to purchase at least for the front, just have other expenses that take precedence to get this ready for the swap. you just can't go wrong giving them a try. Your going leaf as well IIRC, so would be interested to see what you think.

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
yep, like Ive said, its a great company to deal with. i recently installed his arms, and just got it on the road. these things are very beefy, give substantial increased in ground clearance, flex way better than my extended/heimed radius arms, and are smoother. They are worth the money, and thisis coming from a cheap bastard.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
chvyboat said:
Damon, you are far from cheap.

Don is the cheap bastard. :goodfinge
Well, maybe he's like me. I used to be cheap. But that oftentimes gets you no where. :banghead

Now, I'm reformed. :beer

I'm VALUE driven. :chili: :brownbag

·
Registered
744 Posts
Don makes me laugh, he will spend all day making something that he could just buy for less than 150 bucks. He forgets that his time is worth more than that. Now his stuff comes out mechanically sound, but the lazer cut machine shop tuned parts do add a bite to a part.

Love you Donny....................... :goodfinge

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
chvyboat said:
Don makes me laugh, he will spend all day making something that he could just buy for less than 150 bucks. He forgets that his time is worth more than that. Now his stuff comes out mechanically sound, but the lazer cut machine shop tuned parts do add a bite to a part.

Love you Donny....................... :goodfinge

Sorry if I feel necessary to make my own parts. I just don't drop it off some place and have someone else do my work for me.

btw, what have I done that took all day when I could have saved $150?

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
I like the design of the cage arms right up to the point of the 2 bolts and the rubber bushings on the axle end of the arm. crap design and horrible axle wrap.

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
I didnt know you have an engineering degree and are qualified to make such technical and informed statements Don. Is this based on CAD? What engineering are you using to back that "crap design" statement up? Or is it just you opinion?

·
Registered
744 Posts
jopes said:
Sorry if I feel necessary to make my own parts. I just don't drop it off some place and have someone else do my work for me.

btw, what have I done that took all day when I could have saved $150?

In a effort to keep this light hearted since my post was simply razzing you, I will leave it simple.

The cage arms only have slight axle wrap when the bushing is worn. No more than oem arms other wise.

So what are you saying, me being sensitive, I'm on the rag, that I get others to do the work on my truck? Unless you are referring to my rear shock mounts which you welded for me, and were untill sunday, not symnetrical. ( I redid them finaly)

And yes, everything on your truck you made. Great, but some of us like our shit to look a bit more and work a bit more polished.

Sorry you often have projects that take you all day cause you make them from scratch. I have not made a list. But if it is important I will start asking around and I am sure that others will help me remember all of your many ways you have saved money, just not time.

Dont miss understand, when I want to do somthing for less $$$$$$$ you are the person I call.

And as far as the engineering of the cage arms, I am sure you, with all of your education could make them better. For now just remember they out flex the shit out of your "arms", and why would you care if they do have axle wrap, you spend your time in 2wd. :beer

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.