Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to debug my ABS problem using a Helm manual for my '96 Bronco. I pulled codes 32, 41, and 42. For code 32, I'm to the point where I need to remove the anti-lock sensor connector from the right front brake (I'm assuming that's the passenger side if I remember correctly from auto shop 40 years ago). I saw some wires going into a connector held down by a bolt on the back side of the brake. I removed the bolt and attempted to pull out the connector. It didn't budge and light prying and twisting didn't help. Before getting out the sledge hammer, I thought I would check here for the proper method and if I'm on the right track.

For those of you familiar with the Helm manual, would the procedure for doing things like removing sensors be explained somewhere in the manual. There's nothing in the diagnostics, Pinpoint Test J in this case.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for the link. I found the connector and tested it. It had a good reading of about 1000. It turns out that I also had a good reading at the control module connector as well. In my print out the diagram, 35 and 36 look the same. I was testing the wrong one. Just looking more closely at the components on the diagram should have told me that.

It now wants me to remove the front brake anti-lock sensor to "Measure resistance between sensor can and either coil circuit at the component connection". I have no idea what a coil circuit is, but your description tells me "either pin" which is straight forward. Is it possible to do this test without removing the sensor?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By knuckle, do you mean the part that sticks out of back of the backing plate? That is, you can get to it without taking off the wheel. There's no rust at all and I don't get a reading when I test to that location. It that's the case then it sounds like a replacement is needed. The ABS light goes on when I accelerate 5-10 mph.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.