Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I've decided to change careers, I can't afford to lose the 50-70 kilometers per tank while on UI, so I dropped my heavy ass bumper (with all the chains, tools and weight of the bumper, about 200lbs) and put the stock one on until I can sell something to cover the cost of building a new bumper, lighter and with my winch installed inside it. It will look much like 90beaters.

ANYWAYS, the fact that I can no longer work on my motor comfortably without using a 5 gallon paint can to stand on (and this is still too low)
I have an idea of building a portable, dismantable platform that will weigh no more than 10 lbs, take about 2 minutes to assemble, and will be capable to take the weight of the over zealous beer drinkers among us and will easily mount onto the stock bumper.

If this sounds good to enough of you, let me know and I will post the pics and measurements.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Will it work if your rig has 40's with spacers and AAL"s?

·
Registered
852 Posts
So... Will it be like having the tailgate down? I would like some pics to show what you mean.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So... Will it be like having the tailgate down? I would like some pics to show what you mean.
sort of, but not quite. It will stick out beyond the bumper by about 12" and will be the length of the grill. I'm still in the planning stages right now and I may start building it by the end of the month. As far as pics you'll have to wait.

·
Registered
409 Posts
wouldnt it be easier just to put a 2" reciever on the front and use/make something like this

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wouldnt it be easier just to put a 2" reciever on the front and use/make something like this

There you go.:thumbup
I was planning on making it so it will be able to be dismantled with a couple of wing nuts but somthing like that would work too.

The main thing with my idea is the fact that it will mount directly to the bumper. I am going to make a platform very similar to that, but mine will come apart and take up minimal space in the bronco.Also I don't have a reciever in the front of my truck and neither do many others.

·
Registered
195 Posts
One of the things I considered while making my front bumper was if it got in the way of wrenching. I can usually climb my skinny butt up into the engine bay for the simple stuff, but if I need to do something like plugs, I can just remove 2 bolts from my front bumper and it flips down 90* and turns into a platform in which I can throw wood and tools etc on.
heres a pic, I think I'll redo it, it's more of experimentation with the bender and welding.

-Justin

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,856 Posts
Make a pad that can sit on top of it. I use a gardener pad since the front bumper is at the perfect level to use your knees. It hurts after a while to have them on solid steel.

Otherwise I use cinder blocks and 2 x 6" to make a temporary one.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One of the things I considered while making my front bumper was if it got in the way of wrenching. I can usually climb my skinny butt up into the engine bay for the simple stuff, but if I need to do something like plugs, I can just remove 2 bolts from my front bumper and it flips down 90* and turns into a platform in which I can throw wood and tools etc on.
heres a pic, I think I'll redo it, it's more of experimentation with the bender and welding.

-Justin
There you go, good idea. Way to think ahead.
Make a pad that can sit on top of it. I use a gardener pad since the front bumper is at the perfect level to use your knees. It hurts after a while to have them on solid steel.

Otherwise I use cinder blocks and 2 x 6" to make a temporary one.
My bumper / toolbox was perfect for working on my motor but now that it is gone, it sucks. Today, I removed my big bumper and then replaced the power steering pump lines. It was while replacing the lines that I started to think (why did I remove the bumper first?) of ways to build a platform that can be easily transported in my Bronco, take up minimal space and is easily mounted to my stock bumper in any situation.
It is hard to explain what I'm thinking, but the pic RatchetRatchet showed is certainly along the lines of what I'm thinking.

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
I thought about just making a platform, but then my GF just bought me a nice step ladder from Lowes. Works great, have a shelf for tools. You can see it in this pic.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's handy, but wouldn't work too well when working on the motor.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
im gonna just build a shelf that folds up, but when unfolded hooks to the bumper, sort of s shaped, with rubber pads to protect the bumper. its also gonna double as a seat. i'll prob make it 18in long, 12in wide, with the platform level with the top of the bumper

edit. i also have/uses a bakers scaffold to work on the motor, lets me lay down on it when i have to reach down on the motor, and i just roll it over the front end of the truck, works better when i take the hood off

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I've made one like this a while ago to use when doing spark plugs and stuff. I made mine where you could use it with and tire width up to 14" I believe and it don't hang as low as the one pictured. Now I've thought of making another one and then making a platform to connect the three together but no longer need such devices for a stock height bronco

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,142 Posts
milk crates work great, for the budget conscious builder. :goodfinge

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
im gonna just build a shelf that folds up, but when unfolded hooks to the bumper, sort of s shaped, with rubber pads to protect the bumper. its also gonna double as a seat. i'll prob make it 18in long, 12in wide, with the platform level with the top of the bumper

edit. i also have/uses a bakers scaffold to work on the motor, lets me lay down on it when i have to reach down on the motor, and i just roll it over the front end of the truck, works better when i take the hood off
You pretty much described what I plan on building.
I've made one like this a while ago to use when doing spark plugs and stuff. I made mine where you could use it with and tire width up to 14" I believe and it don't hang as low as the one pictured. Now I've thought of making another one and then making a platform to connect the three together but no longer need such devices for a stock height bronco
I saw that posted by a member, I plan on making one of those as well
I usually just stand on a 5 gal. bucket. :toothless
I'm using that right now, too low and unstable when blindly trying to climb down from the engine compartment, especially when it is on uneven ground.

Idealy, I want something that stays with the truck in case I need to work on it when I'm not at home.

milk crates work great, for the budget conscious builder. :goodfinge
some of us don't have deep pockets and just can't afford to purchase 5 milk crates:goodfinge

·
Premium Member
3,933 Posts
some of us don't have deep pockets and just can't afford to purchase 5 milk crates:goodfinge
Buy them?

Just cruize back behind the local groc. store, should be a whole stack of them........... they're free!!!!!
Sort of..........

Ummmm, don't get caught.
:toothless

1 - 20 of 30 Posts