Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My compressor appears to have seized. Is there anything I can do or is this a time to take it to the shop.

Thank you in advance.

Tim

BTW I did searh but nothing came up under airconditioner or variations of those words.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,075 Posts
If your compressor has seized, I would definitely take it to a shop. Chances are the bearings are toast which means theoil in the system ran dry, so you probably have a leak somewhere. I'd havel them go through the whole system, now might also be a good time to covert to 134 if you haven'y already done so.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I suspected all the news was going to be bad. I'm in Denver so I don't need it right now although it comes on with the defrost but unplugging it fixed that.

Tim

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you have the tools, you can do it yourself and save a bunch of money. For what a shop charges, you can replace your compressor, hoses, orifice tube, condensor and drier yourself. Then take it to a shop to vacuum out and charge. I did everything myself on my 2000 Mustang GT. Cost me about $400 total. I didnt have to replace 1 of the hoses, but I did replace all the o-rings. These are what almost always go bad and cause your system to leak.

As for your compressor locking up, what is it doing? Does it just not move when engaged? Replace it and the orifice tube/filters and have a shop flush the system and pressure test it. I personally dont trust any shops to work on my cars, so I do all that I can so they can do as little as I need them to do. Hell, I dont even trust Ford to work on my stuff :twak

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
That happend to me last winter and I did the same thing; unplugged it and all was fine. This past spring I started looking around for parts to fix and convert over to R-134A. After I was just about sure where I was gonna get the stuff I decided to plug it back in for the hell of it and "It worked". I don't know what the deal was unless there was some dirt or moisture combined with the cold weather froze up in the compressor. What ever it was my A/C worked all summer and haven't had any problems since. So I say don't worry about it now, I doubt if you need A/C in Colorado in the winter. Maybe you'll get lucky and when it warms up the same thing will happen to you that did to me.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. I too have done all my own work on my vehicles but I've never had to touch the aircon before. I better do some reading. I'll have to find out what/ where all those other parts are.

The compressor definitely appears siezed. The truck will stall if I turn the air on at idle. I did try turning it over with a socket on the bolt on the front but it didn't want to turn and rather than breaking something by using brute force I left it at that.

Tim

·
Registered
315 Posts
i had a similer problem, if you search the forum for "IAB A/C" you will find my solution, mine was a pure elecrical problem that made the truck die when i turned on the A/C or defrost, but if you cant turn the compressor with a socket yours may truely have seized, just a thought...

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
Yeah, I've seized a couple running them dry, no oil. The pulley still works fine as long as the clutch doesn't engage so simply unplug the electrical connector to keep that clutch bypassed as you have done already.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Dustball said:
Yeah, I've seized a couple running them dry, no oil. The pulley still works fine as long as the clutch doesn't engage so simply unplug the electrical connector to keep that clutch bypassed as you have done already.
So does that mean that bronco's don't have the low pressure switch or whatever its called. The switch that wont let the compressor enguage if there is not enough refrigerant.

Im wondering cause the A/C compressor on my bronco does not do anything when I turn the AC on. It does sound like there is refrigerent in it though cause when I turn the compressor over by hand I can hear a slight hissing.

·
Registered
196 Posts
They do have a low pressure switch mounted on the reciever dryer.If you want to test the switch,unplug it and turn on the a/c.Put a jumper between the 2 terminals on the plug.If the compressor fires up then the electrical to the switch and to the compressor are good.If it doesn't fire up check one terminal for power.The other should be ground.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts