Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thinking about buying an Akita and liked to see if any owners are on here who can give pointers and advice about the breed. I know alot of the history, but know few owners who have experience with these dogs as they seem to be somewhat abscure. Looking for a pet, guard, campanion, & all around house dog.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
We have an akita mix. Great guard dog, ours does not like to be in the house at all though.

They seem to be a very loyal breed and seem to attach to one or two people. We don't have kids and never socialized him with kids so he does not do well with them. If I could do it over again, I would have tried to socialize him more.

They can be very dominant and territorial, so make sure you work him to correct any negative behaviors. They're very intelligent and mine went from growling when someone stepped within 5 feet of his food bowl to being able to take his favorite treat out of his mouth.

As you know, they are big dogs with quite a thick coat so be prepared to feed that beast and vacuum the carpet often.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
They can be very dominant and territorial, so make sure you work him to correct any negative behaviors.
I had a friend who had one. This statement is very true. Theirs was very territorial and very dominant, with people and with other dogs. If you are not able to work with the dog, or pay someone to work with the dog, or this is your first dog, I would stay clear of the Akitas. My 2 cents...

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
I had a friend who had one. This statement is very true. Theirs was very territorial and very dominant, with people and with other dogs. If you are not able to work with the dog, or pay someone to work with the dog, or this is your first dog, I would stay clear of the Akitas. My 2 cents...
They definitely are not the easiest breed to work with, but its worth the effort. Very loving and loyal dog. I don't have to worry about someone getting into my back yard.

Its funny though, I worked with him on a daily basis for 2.5 years to get him to the point he was at. We bring a 12 wk old Boston Terrier into the mix and after a few week period of getting associated, that little dog mentally bitch slapped the Akita. He is definitely her bitch.

Hell, even I can't get her to be beta to my alpha. Smart little fugger.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hachi: A Dog's Story,[10] released in August 2009, is an American movie starring actor Richard Gere, directed by Lasse Hallström, about Hachikô and his relationship with the professor. The movie was filmed in Rhode Island, and also featured Joan Allen and Jason Alexander.

http://www.watch-movies.net.in/play_new.php?si=574840&s=3&tra_st=0&u=aHR0cCUzQSUyRiUyRmxvb21iby5jb20lMkYxZXJwOHpmbm4zeTglMkZIYWNoaWtvLkEuRG9ncy5TdG9yeS5EVkRSaXAuWHZpRC1OZURpVnguYXZpLmh0bWw=&host=loombo&mi=Hachiko-A-Dog-s-Story-2009&n=SGFjaGlrbzogQSBEb2cncyBTdG9yeSAoMjAwOSk=

1 - 6 of 6 Posts