Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reply-To : [email protected]
Sent : Thursday, December 22, 2005 9:24 PM
To : [email protected]
Subject : Changes to eBay User Agreement and Privacy Policy

| | | Inbox

eBay sent this message to matt davis ( davisjdmb).
Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more.

Changes to eBay User Agreement and Privacy Policy

Dear davisjdmb,

I'm writing to let you know that the eBay User Agreement and eBay Privacy Policy have been updated, effective immediately for users registering as of Nov. 22, 2005, and effective February 1, 2006 for current users.

The rules and dispute resolution policies you originally agreed to have not changed in any substantive way. The User Agreement has been rewritten, however, to cover new features such as Reviews & Guides, changes in the collection of overdue seller fees, and to better meet the needs of our growing user community.

The new Privacy Policy, like the old one, outlines the broad categories of information we collect from you based on your activities on the site and public data sources. It also now specifically calls out the fact that eBay does not sell your personal information for marketing purposes and directs you to a page where you can select how you wish to be contacted by eBay. If you would like to receive advance notice of pricing promotions, events, and other updates, be sure to select "Newsletters, promotions, and event notifications" in your Notification Preferences.

If you accept the new User Agreement and Privacy Policy, you don't need to take any action. If you do not wish to accept the new User Agreement or Privacy Policy, please refer to our Frequently Asked Questions about the User Agreement Revision for instructions on what to do.

Thank you for using eBay and we look forward to many more successful transactions!

Sincerely,

Scott R. Shipman, CIPP
Senior Counsel, Global Privacy Practices
eBay Inc.

was in my email, is it fake or what

·
Original FSB.COM Owner
9,560 Posts
i think its real, i remember getting it but to be sure just check your "my messages" inside "my ebay", if its there also then its real

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
dsotmoon said:
i think its real, i remember getting it but to be sure just check your "my messages" inside "my ebay", if its there also then its real
Exactly, I ignore all email that I didnt ask for. IIRC, ebay dont just send out news and info (unless you request them too), which I dont ask for, thus I know anything I get is junk. In MyEbay, all the official messages you need are there.

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,997 Posts
i got one from "paypal" the other day telling me someone with a different ip address was trying to access my account, and gave a link to click on to "verify" certain info...

problem is they are getting very creative in their scamming efforts, copying logos, etc. this email even stated something to the effect that paypal will never ask for your password and other tidbits from legitimate emails. be careful.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
It's probably real if it didn't ask you to click on an "eBay" link in the e-mail to update some personal info.

Most of the scam stuff I've received comes either from a server in Virginia, or someplace in eastern Europe like Romania when I do a trace-back. I do a mouse-over on the link just to check to see if it's who/what is says it is. If it says eBay or PayPal and the mouse-over shows something else, I know it's some crooks phishing for personal info.

·
Original FSB.COM Owner
9,560 Posts
they are getting even smarter too, i read somewhere that they are adding some java script in now that shows the "official" link on mouseover but takes you to a hidden link if you click on it

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
dsotmoon said:
i read somewhere that they are adding some java script in now that shows the "official" link on mouseover but takes you to a hidden link if you click on it
...and that's why I keep Javascript and Java turned off.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
I got that message about a week ago. I just deleted it. It's a notice and they're not asking for anything, so who cares. I'll just check messages next time I'm on Ebay.

·
aka BroncoB&#9829;tch
840 Posts
got the same thing too it is almost a daily ritual if not early other day to get some of these emails either from ebay, paypal or bidpay. A good rule of thumb if it has a link in it isn't real. If it is a real email it will generally tell you to log into your account. If you are so unsure just forward it to the spoof address and they will let you know

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,578 Posts
Got it a few days ago. Im pretty sure its legit. And besides, like Larston mentioned, its only a notice, theyre not asking you to update any info or anything.

dsotmoon said:
they are getting even smarter too, i read somewhere that they are adding some java script in now that shows the "official" link on mouseover but takes you to a hidden link if you click on it
I get alot of em like that. Its pretty neat, but not foolproof. If you watch the link closely you can see the hidden address while the link is active.

I just never click on any link in any ebay mail.

·
Lick my
2,091 Posts
I get them from "paypal". I click on the link and its a close dup of paypal. What I then do is actually go to Paypal.com and check my msgs in there. If nothing, its a fake.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts