Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just picked up a truck avenger 670 from a guy over on colorado4x4.

Installed it today after tracking down a throttle lever ball stud and ford kickdown linkage.

When I first started it up gas started coming out the top..the float level was set too high. I put the sight plugs in and lowered the float level to just below the sight plug. No more leaks.

Next I tried to adjust curb idle speed screw, but I took it all the way out and it is not touching the bottom anymore and it still idles around 1000 rpm.

I did not try anymore adjustments mostly cause I'm tired and don't want to screw things up.:twak

It runs good but it has a stumble at starting acceleration to the point that it will die if I hit it hard. Other than that it really get up fast compared to the stock 2150 two barrel I had on there before.

Any Ideas or maybe somebody can help me tune this out for some :beer

thanks sam

·
Registered
383 Posts
I bought a truck avanger for my Bronco as well, it turned out to be a total piece of crap. Mine had the same problem and we never got it fixed. The avenger carbs do not have the same adjustment as the regular carbs. I suggest that you contact C&J engineering in Whittier CA 562-946-1388, They will build a custom carb for you and it will work perfectly guaranteed. You will spend more up front but save a lot of headaches. Mine is built for the whoops and has a sucker pump and spring loaded floats. IT WORKS LIKE FUEL INJECTION.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Sam... what part of CO you in? What i did with my edelbrock is i found a shop (speed shop) to bench flow/setup the carb. Then it was a real simple bolt on job. They go through, clean, jet, and do a good flow setup. Cost around $100 or so.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Make sure the fast idle linkage is coming completely off when the engine warms up. Make sure you dont' have any vacuum leaks. You won't be able to adjust anything else on the carb until you get the idle down. Fast idle linkage, something blocking the throttle linkage, and vacuum leaks are the only things that will kick up your idle, so that's where you want to concentrat your search.

There is a VERY small possiblity that your secondary plates could also be stuck slighty open. If checking the other stuff doesn't fix the fast idle, pull the carb and check them. Post up what you find as the adjustment is very critical.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
just ditch the pos holley and get an edelbrock. way easier to tune and work on. i dont have any problems with mine. that stumble is known on holleys. i've never been able to get rid of it on any of em. but you could start with what larry said.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
I've had dozens of Holleys that ran perfectly, no sense tossing what may be a perfectly good carb. The stumble is easy to fix once you understand how Holley handles idle fuel. But as I said, no sense going any further until the idle can be controlled with the throttle stop screw. One of the secrets to Holley tuning is the position of the primary butterfiles to the transfer slots in the throats. If it isn't right, you cannot tune the carb for driveability.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sam... what part of CO you in? What i did with my edelbrock is i found a shop (speed shop) to bench flow/setup the carb. Then it was a real simple bolt on job. They go through, clean, jet, and do a good flow setup. Cost around $100 or so.
I'm in denver near I225 and I70. Do you know any shops in my area? I might have to resort to that, but I was hoping to enlist some of my fellow fsbers to help out for :beer. Moneys a little tight right now.

Make sure the fast idle linkage is coming completely off when the engine warms up. Make sure you dont' have any vacuum leaks. You won't be able to adjust anything else on the carb until you get the idle down. Fast idle linkage, something blocking the throttle linkage, and vacuum leaks are the only things that will kick up your idle, so that's where you want to concentrat your search.

There is a VERY small possiblity that your secondary plates could also be stuck slighty open. If checking the other stuff doesn't fix the fast idle, pull the carb and check them. Post up what you find as the adjustment is very critical.
Like I said I didnt do anything except adjust the floats(cause it was pouring out the top) and then try to adjust the idle. I have a phenolic carb spacer that came with it and also a k&n flow control filter. Maybe the spacer is interfering somehow. What gaskets should I have used? I just put 2 thin gaskets one on the intake then spacer then gasket then carb. Also I have an egr intake and it has a little hole next to the carb hole but it looks like the gasket covers it. I'm going to pull the spacer off and see if that helps and then go from there.

just ditch the pos holley and get an edelbrock. way easier to tune and work on. i dont have any problems with mine. that stumble is known on holleys. i've never been able to get rid of it on any of em. but you could start with what larry said.
I don't have the money to ditch a carb and buy a new one. If it comes to that I may have to just go back to the stock 2 barrell. I drove it to work today and it seemed to run better when warmed up. Like I said I have not touched any adjustments or even put a vac guage on it.

EDIT
:smilie_slap :twak :banghead Do I need a 4v egr adapter plate for my edelbrock egr intake to make this work? I had my 2 barrel on the 2v egr adapter plate and just had the egr blocked off. maybe thats why there is a possible vac leak?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Larston is correct in all counts. Holleys are good carbs, but you've got know how they work. Get a vacuum gauge and check.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Larston you nailed it on the vacuum leaks:clap I put on a different carb spacer which is made for this egr intake and it sealed the egr hole better. I got the idle down and there is no stumble:rockon

So I guess the next step would be to put a vacuum gauge on it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Larston is correct in all counts. Holleys are good carbs, but you've got know how they work. Get a vacuum gauge and check.
So what kind of vacuum should I be getting? I didnt do any tuning yet just set the idle. I put the vacuum qauge on it and I'm getting 14 at operating temperature and 750rpm. I know at sea level it should be higher but here at altitude should I be getting better or should I just leave it as is?

The carb is running great no stumble and she sure revs up nice!

The snow finally cleared up today so I was able to open her up today. Man all I can say is that my warmed over 400 (flat top pistons,265deh compcams, straight up timing) really woke up. I was not getting the full potential with the 2 barrel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts