Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have not seen much if anything posted up on hand held tuners... is there any such creature for a 96 obdII?

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
must have missed it. looked at diablo,sct,superchips and didn't see any thing for a 96

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,353 Posts
yes there is. google it.
Really? Where? Hmmmmm.....?

There are plug in chips, which are pretty much worthless, but I dont know of any hand held tuners.

·
Registered
904 Posts
how much can you realisticly expect from a tuner on one of our engines?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Best thing to monkey with is the ignition mapping. The advance is pretty weak at light throttle, and not aggressive at all under WOT. My thoughts on that are that emissions were more of a concern than power or fuel economy. A lot of people have gone with ICY1/2 Lightning PCMs in their EEC-IV trucks. Even so, the factory shift patterns leave a lot to be desired.

Ryan, anywhere you recommend for either the Sniper or SCT products? I want to use something like a twEECer but I want something with better support.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I don't know about sniper or tweeecer but SCT is def good stuff.....much better than diablo from what I've seen.

You can get preprogrammed SCT tuners for newer cars but on something like your bronco I think you'd be better off tweeking on the dyno........IMHO

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
:lolup will MegaSquirt pass an OBD-II smog test? :smilie_slap
I dunno. Will it?

He asked for "something like tweecer" which it is something like it, and with "good support", which it has.

:shrug

Other than that I don't know nuthin aboot it.

His '93 even have OBD-II? Mine sure don't.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
No, a megasquirt box won't pass on an OBDII test because it doesn't support OBDII.

But the Megasquirt box is a complete standalone EFI system, not a tuner, you have to remove your EECIV from control of the engine physically.

Our trucks' computers can't be modified without using something like a TwEECer that has a chip you leave on the service port, so handheld tuners don't work.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 23 Posts