Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was all alone talking to myself in the introduction area and asking for a little help and i did not even get a welcome. So i figured i would move here and ask for help.

my intro btw, and nice to meet you all. much appreciated ahead of time for your help.
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175318

i have done lots of searching so please don't haze me for asking for help.
so i am thinking it is perhaps the vss in the rear axle, perhaps a clogged cat or two and maybe a clogged fuel filter.

also, another thing i could not figure out for sure. Does the 96 use a smog pump? i don't see a hose or tube running to the first cat.

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
hew, howdie, welcome. yes we have a air pump, it put air right into the passanger side exaust manifold.

The auto part store is telling me i need to replace the vehicle speed sensor, and this is the product they are telling me i need.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...&parentId=59-0

looks like were the speedo cable would mount to the tranny, dont recall if its for a 96, been awhile since i've seen my truck.... not sure what that has to do with the issue.... fyi auto zone is not the best. you could try to post some questions about this in stangmata's thread that you listed.

sounds like your trans is going into "limp mode" when it gets warm. have you checked/ changed fluid and filter?

self test should be done with the obdII conector located under the dashboard, below the ashtray. should be a blk cover over it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hew, howdie, welcome. yes we have a air pump, it put air right into the passanger side exaust manifold.

The auto part store is telling me i need to replace the vehicle speed sensor, and this is the product they are telling me i need.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...&parentId=59-0

looks like were the speedo cable would mount to the tranny, dont recall if its for a 96, been awhile since i've seen my truck.... not sure what that has to do with the issue.... fyi auto zone is not the best. you could try to post some questions about this in stangmata's thread that you listed.

sounds like your trans is going into "limp mode" when it gets warm. have you checked/ changed fluid and filter?

self test should be done with the obdII conector located under the dashboard, below the ashtray. should be a blk cover over it.
reason i was asking about the smog pump is because i don't see anything connected at the first cat or any of them for that matter. So if i do have a smog pump then where is the tube going that is supposed to connect to the cat if i have one. where would the smog pump be located at on the front of the engine. upper lower right left? i noticed earlier this evening when my truck is running and i had my head in the passenger door down under the dash by the glove box i noticed an extreme amount of heat coming in. like i had the heater on but it wasn't. it even sounded like the heat was on. so i am wondering if the smog pump is blowing hot air into the passenger compartment or what since i do not see it connected below? and the vss i asked about is because i have a code for it. so i need to replace it. where is the location on the tranny where the speedo cable "would be" then so i know where to look for this sensor. also i know the zone is not good but i live in a small town and it's significantly closer than oreily's. Fluid level in the tranny is right in range and it looks good and red and doesn't smell burnt. and so on the self test would i do it the same exact way as described just using the under dash connecter but still using the single test connecter under the hood?

·
Registered
2006 Lincoln Navigator
1,488 Posts
Welcome to FSB! I read the link you posted, it sounds like your truck is OBD-II (EEC-V) not OBD-I (EEC-IV) like most of the members here. The self-test procedure does not work on your truck, you will need a code reader or make trips to the parts store. The VSS is located on the rear axle housing, not in the transmission or transfer case. It is referred to as the ABS sensor but it also sends a signal to drive the transmission, speed/odometer and cruise control functions.

I am not sure if your truck uses an air pump like the earlier models. The air/smog pump is located on the passenger side of the engine, typically below the alternator. There should should be a belt routing diagram under the hood someplace. It should have a listing of the devices as well as the serpentine belt routing. That should tell you whether or not you have a smog pump.

I would not start replacing o2 sensors until you have completed a tune up such as new plugs/wires/distrbutor cap, rotor and filters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts