1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
559 Posts
I was thinking of the same set up ( actually I sent you that link last night lol) and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it also.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
i just bought the crane coil and will be installing it this weekend, ill let y'all know if it helps.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
85f150 said:
I am suprised ryan (fireguy) hasn't seen this yet. He swears by crane.
Yeah he likes their set up and the deal

After you subtract $50 for the coil, you're getting the control box for a pretty good price IMO.

I'm sick and tired of sending my MSD-6 back and forth. Although I love their coils I will not buy another MSD control box.

Optika

Let us know how it works

Sixlitre

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
what the heck does that box do anyways

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
its a magic sex box :shocked

no rilly it is...:drinkbud

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
Optika1 illushun said:
its a magic sex box :shocked

no rilly it is...:drinkbud
quit being a dick

dick....thats my job

lol j/k what the hell does it do

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
imlikeojnow said:
what the heck does that box do anyways
80% of the ignition improvements I realized came without the MSD-6 box.

Using it improved starts and smoothed out idle and acceleration but not enough for what it's worth IMO and certinally not enough to put up with the unreliablity.

Sixlitre

·
Yeeeeehaw Y'all!
2,038 Posts
I've been runnning a Crane Fireball 6 ignition system for over 2 years now.

No problems and good performance. I play in the mud so a rev limiter is a nice feature.

The only down side is that you burn out caps and rotors quicker than a stock ignition. Mine is my DD so I end up swapping them out two or three times a year. Stick with copper electrode cap and rotors and use plain ole copper plugs with the gap set in the .050-.055 range.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
thats good to here, I wanted to get one with a built in rev limiter for the same reason but i have heard too many issues on the MSD's so it makes me nervous.

Maybe i will have to keep my eye out for another crane one

·
Registered
559 Posts
Even If I get the Ford version do I still need a specical harness for it? Is it all plug in also ( meaning no splicing or that required).

·
Yeeeeehaw Y'all!
2,038 Posts
bronco lover said:
Even If I get the Ford version do I still need a specical harness for it? Is it all plug in also ( meaning no splicing or that required).

You have to have the wiring harness. The harness gets spliced to the module wiring. Then it plugs into the truck harness. For a trouble free connection solder the wires together. Wrap em with electrical tape then cover the connections with heat shrink and wrap em in electrical tape again. Do NOT use solderless terminals!

The good side to this is that is has no impact on the factory wiring. If the box fails out on the trail, just unwrap and unplug it and plug the factory harness back together.

I mounted mine on the right inner fender well. Crane says put the box inside the cab. (Missed that lil tidbit in the instructions until after I had it installed, wires sized and the fender well holes sealed.:banghead

The electronics are completely sealed by the looks of the box and I've had mine pretty wet. My guess is that Crane/Summit?whoever you get it from won't honor the warranty if they can tell it was wet and mounted outside the cab.

·
Registered
150 Posts
these things are mostly just multiple spark systems and help to improve idle quality.

factory vehicles are implementing multiple spark at idle for the same reason- seems to help smooth the engine out at idle rpms. Probably because the motor is more sensitive to the slight ignition timing differences when its at very low rpms, and the multiple spark helps to keep a consistant combustion ignition.

it'll also help to prevent a miss due to failed ignition of the mixture. A hotter coil and wider plug gap will have the same effect.

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sixlitre said:
80% of the ignition improvements I realized came without the MSD-6 box.

Using it improved starts and smoothed out idle and acceleration but not enough for what it's worth IMO and certinally not enough to put up with the unreliablity.

Sixlitre
thanks six and all the others
i think ill just get a accel 48k volt coil ( would go msd, but would like to match my other accel stuff)

might get the ignition box later, but i can prolly find another place on teh bronco to spend that $160

·
Registered
559 Posts
Ironclad said:
You have to have the wiring harness. The harness gets spliced to the module wiring. Then it plugs into the truck harness. For a trouble free connection solder the wires together. Wrap em with electrical tape then cover the connections with heat shrink and wrap em in electrical tape again. Do NOT use solderless terminals!

The good side to this is that is has no impact on the factory wiring. If the box fails out on the trail, just unwrap and unplug it and plug the factory harness back together.

I mounted mine on the right inner fender well. Crane says put the box inside the cab. (Missed that lil tidbit in the instructions until after I had it installed, wires sized and the fender well holes sealed.:banghead

The electronics are completely sealed by the looks of the box and I've had mine pretty wet. My guess is that Crane/Summit?whoever you get it from won't honor the warranty if they can tell it was wet and mounted outside the cab.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=CRN-6000-6301&N=400078+4294925143+4294839065+115&autoview=sku
So this one doesn't come with all the wiring? It says its the one for Fords so I would think it would.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=CRN-6000-6707&N=400078+4294925143+4294839065+4294908331+115&autoview=sku
The harness says it eliminates the need for cutting and splicing so I am definetly confused now.

·
Yeeeeehaw Y'all!
2,038 Posts
Naw don't be confused.....

I checked out the Summit link for the Ford box. When I bought mine a few years they didn't offer specific models. You had to wire it. The Ford kit looks like a complete set. They have the Ford harness in the pic. The big difference I saw was that the box now has plugs. :thumbup

.......and yes. Just a high end coil will improve performance. The box just adds more with the added benefit of the rev limiter. Like I said, I play in the mud and when it starts slipping the RPM's go up up up..... I've got mine set to cut out at 4600RPM so the engine doesn't continually red line.

I'm most happy with the set up and performance and I know a couple of other folks who run the Crane set up and are very happy with it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Ironclad said:
Naw don't be confused.....

I checked out the Summit link for the Ford box. When I bought mine a few years they didn't offer specific models. You had to wire it. The Ford kit looks like a complete set. They have the Ford harness in the pic. The big difference I saw was that the box now has plugs. :thumbup

.......and yes. Just a high end coil will improve performance. The box just adds more with the added benefit of the rev limiter. Like I said, I play in the mud and when it starts slipping the RPM's go up up up..... I've got mine set to cut out at 4600RPM so the engine doesn't continually red line.

I'm most happy with the set up and performance and I know a couple of other folks who run the Crane set up and are very happy with it.
Thanks for the help, within the next week I should be ordering one of these along with a msd cap and rotor and ford racing wires.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
got my coil and gapped plugs in, idles smoother and feels stronger overall. i say for the $50 it was worth it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts