Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm saving up for a 90's Bronco right now, and except for the lift and tires, it will be a budget build up everywhere else. I'm a horsepower freak; I know I won't be able to leave the engine alone. I search the junkyards quite a bit for re-sellable junkyard performance stuff for Mustangs, being that I myself own a 90LX and am quite familiar with what can be used off of wrecks. But I don't have much knowledge of what's useable on Broncos. Anybody got a list somewhere? How about bolting on Explorer P-heads or a Explorer/Cobra intake for a 302-based Bronc? How about junkyard electric fans? Gears out of anything?

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Taurus or Mark 8 electric fan
95 Mustang 130 Amp alt
80-96 E series van PS pump
P heads... but headers are limited, might be able to run the manifolds but why bother
E7's and C9's (and the like) are more plentiful
Try to find one with a 351W already (do not, I repeat do not, say to self "self, I can build a 302 with enough power from the J/Y to move a Bronco around just like a Mustang... This IS NOT THE CASE. I am running a 320 HP 302 designed for a mustang but with the lowest power band and it still sucks off the line, now at 4 grand it will impress people, ill admit that but I am tossing the 302 into a 68' Mustang and building a cheap 351 very very soon)

it takes 320 HP to move a 3K lb mustang to run 11's
it takes 800 HP to move a 5.5K lb Bronco to run 12's (search for "514 Bronco" user name on this board)

I have seen them both:thumbup

·
Registered
150 Posts
320 hp with a mustang would not get it into the 11's. Seen many 12 second cars that are well into the 400 range...but I get the idea.

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I've seen literally bone stock stock fox mustangs run deep into the 13's well tuned. Then there is the hardcore oldschool mustang guys who run in the 12's with stock heads/intake/block.

my buddy has 320 at the wheels, and has a best of 12.1. This is in a light 89 notch.

320 horse in the 11's is difficult, but not impossible.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I couldn't agree more. Simple fact is, most guys with a "bone stock" fox mustang are fighting just to get into the 14's. that was me, and a few other friends. Simply stated, the average time for a stock 5 speed fox mustang is high 14's to low 15's.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
off topic is ok :)

bone stock at pomona back in the day I pulled a 15.3 with my heavy 86gt vert and not knowing how to drive.

fast forward, and my bro and I got about the same in his bone stock 5 speed 88 notch but WITH drag slicks (need practice racing, lol)

My buddy has an 84 notch, stock heads/block (HO roller block), but tons of carb and intake work/bolt ons, and is down to the low 14's.

I'm dropping in a 97 explorer gt40p headed engine into my 86gt vert now with every damn mod possible, and hope for low 13's to high 12's.

what's funny, is on the internet, everyone with a mustang is doing 12's, then you actually go to a dragstrip, and suddenly it's filled with 14 and 15 second cars. Wait, where did all the 12 second cars go?? LOL

not as easy as it sounds.

anyhow, back to the posters original question, my plans for the future include a gt40 explorer head swap, and I'll either put and edlebrock intake on it, or port the hell out of the stocker.

see, in the truck world, I believe the bronco's were the most loaded from the factory, as every one rolled off the line with 4x4, and all the goodies, so I don't believe there is near the same amount of junkyard HP as there is for the mustangs.

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Sorry to cause such a ruckas... I was just warning against running just a 302 if he had the option and stating some facts that were directly impacted by weight.

10.70 takes 950HP in a 5K lb bronco, while that may not be some people ideas of fast (may not need it that fast I mean) the fact remains, I cant run any better then 15 seconds in my bronco with the 320 HP. And its kinda slow when your not rolling yet on the street.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Back on track...

Couple other items to look for:

York air compressors
ZF 5 speed (if your are going manual)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Still off topic, I know ... Stangmata, what are you running for trap speeds? I've only taken my mostly stock daily driver Stang to the strip once, I'm not that big on the drags, but I'm curious. I was getting godawful launches (street tires on 2.73's, 2.1 60' times, and trying not to bake the tires off all the way to the 1-2 shift at 45mph), but still managed to pull off a 14.5 @ 96.5. Since trap speed isn't as affected as strongly by traction issues, I'm curious to see what other folks with better traction (and better launch skills) are getting.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Yeah, the tires I'm running handle absolutely wonderfully (Bridgestone S03's), but they aren't the best for straight line traction. Usually on the street once I get her moving she'll hold full throttle in first with the 2.73's ... if I have perfectly clean, flat pavement. The slightest pebble will break her loose. When I was up at MIR I was almost fighting for traction in second a couple of times, and I couldn't get her to hold any throttle at all in first, I had to feather it all the way to shift -- felt slick as hell.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I ran 13.8 with stock 3.08's and exhaust @2200ft in vegas.

It's now running 13.3 with some supension work, gear, and bolton's.

With some et streets or slicks it would be 12's for sure.

11's with 320 hp isn't impossible or tough for that matter. There are lot's of HCI 302's running those times. Most HCI cars are making 310-340 depending on the combo. If the car's well put together and has a decent driver it's doable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had already ruled out a 302-based Bronc. So anyways, what's so great about the 80-96 E series van PS pump that you would pull the stock PS pump off? Why use an E7 or C9 head over the stock head on a 351 (I don't know what the stock head on a 351 Bronco motor is in the first place)? Electric fans, alternators I have covered. What's the stock size injector on a 351 fuel injected Bronco? 19's? What about intakes?

For you all that are obsessed with arguing the Mustang angle, you can't do squat at the track with a street tire. BFG drag's all the way. But, at 479/474 rwhp/rwtq, I can roast those in the middle of second gear once she hits full boost.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts