Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any threads here on the SD axle swap for 73-79 trucks and Broncos? I didn't see much and couldn't find a ton on other boards. I would like to grab as much of the SD stuff as possible and use it, even the coil buckets and coil springs. Please link them below and share any photos that would make this easier. Hopefully in the future others can search and be lead here for info.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Probably not what you want to hear, just my 2 cents. I superduty swapped a 95, I used the buckets, springs, shocks valved for a super duty, radius arms and brackets. Rear leafs with a couple leaves removed to get the correct ride height. Everything. Truck was stable and handled great, went down the road well. I tow lite trailers 36-3800lbs alot. The super duty setup totally transformed how it towed for the better, obviously. With the TTB and 8.8 3.50 ratio and 31s i could get 16 mpg. With the Super duty setup, basically a 6" lift 35s and 4.10s it was a 11mpg rig. All positive on road except! the ride. To do it over I would have used pre 80 buckets JBG or whatever softer springs and shocks valved for a bronco. It rode like a lumber wagon, much to stiff for a comfortable ride especially on dirt or gravel road. It also didnt flex.

I now have a 79 that I'm rounding up parts for. The plan is Super D60 and sterling 10.5 with custom lower spring mounts and factory 79 buckets with JBG front coils, deaver rears, and softer shocks. Also home built Radius arms using heims with a custom cross member radius arm mounts.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,929 Posts
Only one I know of off hand is @curtwow

He didnt do the fab work, but can certainly take pictures. Oh and he used dually axles.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
mine came from a 99 the frame widths were the same. I wanted to use the super duty steering but that was not going to be very easy so we opt'd out as I had blew my budget way out. One good thing if you go 99 and newer will be the 8x170 bolt pattern of course 8x6.5 is great too just something to consider if you want some options for wheels. The coil buckets for mine were fab'd. The machine shop also fab'd up a 3 link for the front. I don't love what he did on the radius arms but as you can see it flexes fairly well so I can't be too upset. Those 32" tires are nearly tucked to the rear fender w/ the sway bars on front and rear. It is lifted 6" suspension and 3" of body. I'm saving up for wheels and tires. Considering 37's but if I can find a deal on some 40's I may go that route.

·
Premium Member
4,286 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After looking further into it I came up with a few things to think about.

The coil spring mount on the SD front axle is wider than the 73-79 coil tower. Three options that I can think of: Run coilovers/ORI, move the SD mount in, move the 73-79 coil tower out. Coilovers is the easiest and also the most expensive. Ruff Stuff and others even make a mount that bolts in place on the SD axle where the coil spring perch is. Option two is moving the SD mount in a running coil springs that line up with the factory coil towers. This is more involved and fab work is needed. Option three is move the coil towers out to line up with the mounting location on the SD axles. James Duff sells a coil tower for putting full width axles under an early Bronco so it sticks out 2" further on each side. From my meausrements that is only off 1/2" each side and will work because the coil springs still operate fine, they just lean in slightly. Sky Off-Road Design sells complete kits to swap SD axles under an OBS and they also offer coil buckets that stick out further to accommodate the widenss of the SD axles. Heck, I'm kinda thinking the OBS kit might work or be pretty close. It's about $1000 though.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
414 Posts
Thanks! I know this build well from Pirate but there's more pictures and details here in this post.

I got the axles home and in the shop. Will post more as I go along.

Update, pics? Mine is not even out of the weather yet. Gotta live thru the members here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts