Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still putting together the parts for my engine build and would like to know if there are any modifications that need to be made if using a 95 to 97 Explorer upper intake?

Right now I have a 351 with GT40 heads and the lightning lower intake. Does anyone know if anything will need to be modified for the explorer upper?

___

·
Registered
313 Posts
One of the most frustrating things about this site is not getting an answer to your thread. Look at my thread history there are a lot of unanswered questions. What seems to be a route problem or question to you is unfortunately sometimes very uncommon. Hang in there someone with answer with a good knowledgable answer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Explorer upper will work with a lightning lower. The throttle body and EGR are obviously different than a stock FS Bronco and you'll have to figure out what to do about an air filter. You can use the Explorer throttle body with some mods to the accelerator cable. I believe they are 65mm.

I've got a lightning engine in my early bronco with MAF and computer from a 91 Mustang. I also have a stock 95 with a 5.8. My EB is much quicker, but has 4.56 gears. I'm curious to see what your results are.

Do some searching over on classicbroncos.com and you'll see plenty on which uppers fit what lowers.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I've been reading and reading on this swap, but can't seem to put it all together. every thread i see seems to have something different from my setup. I'm wondering if i should keep with my stock upper intake. I'm not sure though if that will defeat the purpose of theGT40 heads and lightning lower intake???

·
Registered
637 Posts
The explorer upper will bolt right up. If your upper has no hole in the center for the egr then the hole in the lower needs to be drilled, tapped, and have a flat threaded plug installed. You will need a Lightning specific throttle cable bracket or cut and weld yours to work.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,844 Posts
Like said by Diabolic.

if you want more of a plug/play intake look into the Eddy efi truck intake. you can aquire a typhoon lower and just get the truck upper which is the same for 5.0 or 5.8. its the lower that of course is different between the motors.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The explorer upper will bolt right up. If your upper has no hole in the center for the egr then the hole in the lower needs to be drilled, tapped, and have a flat threaded plug installed. You will need a Lightning specific throttle cable bracket or cut and weld yours to work.

Thanks yet again Diabolic.
I'm picking up the upper today and they say it has the egr hole, but I won't believe it until I see it. That company that I bought the engine and GT40 heads from said that the heads had the thermactor ports, but it doesn't.

Would it be easier to go with one that does not have internal egr? If I go with the internal egr, will it still pass a visual smog?
Do you know if my Bronco fuel runners or injectors will work, or do I have to pull those from an explorer/mustang?
Do you know which throttle body... Explorer, Mustang or ???
Do you know if the Bronco throttle cable will work?
Will I have to drill out for an IAT sensor, or is that only for MAS?

I read as much as I could about it, but I'm pretty confused because some people say this doesn't work with that, and that won't work with this. Other say it will.

Thank you again for all your help! Past, present and future.

___

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like said by Diabolic.

if you want more of a plug/play intake look into the Eddy efi truck intake. you can aquire a typhoon lower and just get the truck upper which is the same for 5.0 or 5.8. its the lower that of course is different between the motors.

The Eddy or typhoon are no longer smog legal in CA. That is the route I was going to go, but when I called they said they were no longer smog legal in CA.

Do you know if the stock bronco 5.8 upper will fit on the lightning lower, or will that defeat the purpose of everything else I just changed out?

___

·
7,844 Posts
the stock will not work on the gt lower

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/BW1356
1,455 Posts
The only thing you have to worry about for the rail is the FPR not bring under the intake or the schrader port not being accessible. All injectors and rails work on 5.0 and 5.8 intakes - 5.0 rails on a 5.8 intake will need a piece of EFI hose and clamps to account for the wider intake.

Just check to make sure this doesn't happen -

You have your choice of Mustang rails, Pickup rails or Explorer rails - pretty much any EFI 5.0 or 5.8 motor will have rails that can be used if you run into a complication.

·
7,844 Posts
if you grab an explorer upper intake, just get one with the throttle body already on it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
The challenge with the EGR will be that the lower intake will not have the provision for the egr tube. The lightning upper does not have the mounting pad for the external egr valve. You will need to drill out the back of your heads for it to operate properly.

·
7,844 Posts
I am surprised the eddy truck intake isn't legal anymore. it accepts the egr and everything. I wander if the older versions have the CARB on them?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
The expy fuel rails i had on my 97 engine were returnless fuel lines so they wont work. Iirc i used mustang rails. The biggest tb would be the explorer tb. I modified mt explorer tb cable bracket to work with my broncos tb cable. Only had to cut off one tab and weld a new one on. There is a picture in my build thread in the first page or two. Problem is mine is a five speed, idk how you would/could go about hooking up the kick down cable.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The only thing you have to worry about for the rail is the FPR not bring under the intake or the schrader port not being accessible. All injectors and rails work on 5.0 and 5.8 intakes - 5.0 rails on a 5.8 intake will need a piece of EFI hose and clamps to account for the wider intake.

Just check to make sure this doesn't happen -

You have your choice of Mustang rails, Pickup rails or Explorer rails - pretty much any EFI 5.0 or 5.8 motor will have rails that can be used if you run into a complication.

If I use my existing 5.8 fuel rails, will it avoid this issue? if not, how would you... Can the rails be rotated so that the FPR will sit on the drivers side?

___

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The challenge with the EGR will be that the lower intake will not have the provision for the egr tube. The lightning upper does not have the mounting pad for the external egr valve. You will need to drill out the back of your heads for it to operate properly.

I thought that the egr should all be internal now??? I will just need to grab a mustang egr/spacer for the egr to connect to, right? If this is correct, and once it's done, all of the connectors to the egr and whatnot should be the same, correct? I know I will have to fake the thermactor crossover by just mounting it to the back of the heads and make sure it only flows one direction. IIRC... Or am I missing something else now??????

something like this egr/spacer?

___

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The expy fuel rails i had on my 97 engine were returnless fuel lines so they wont work. Iirc i used mustang rails. The biggest tb would be the explorer tb. I modified mt explorer tb cable bracket to work with my broncos tb cable. Only had to cut off one tab and weld a new one on. There is a picture in my build thread in the first page or two. Problem is mine is a five speed, idk how you would/could go about hooking up the kick down cable.

I looked in your build thread and like how you have it setup. do you have any pics of how you customized the bracket?

___

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright, So I think I'm starting to get a better grasp on this. Here is what I picked up today from Pick n Pull for 140.00

1996 Explorer 5.0 upper intake, TB and fuel rails.

Along with the Throttle cable plate and hardware.

I'm going to bring the parts and have them cleaned at the local machine shop next week.

So if I'm understand this correctly... I will delete the explorer 90 (X'd out in the picture) and replace it with a mustang egr/spacer so that I can mount the egr? Which flows through the lower and upper intakes internally now.

I should also be able to customize the explorer throttle cable plate to work with this, right? Or do I need to see if I can find a lightning bracket?

Will I be able to use the TPS, egr and iac that came off the explorer?

I read in another post where they welded up the explorer vacuum ports because they were underneath, and drilled a new hole in the side for a vacuum tree. Should this be done as well?

Oh, and do I need some type of spacer between the lower lightning and upper explorer?

I'm starting to wonder if this is going to pass smog here in CA. I know it will pass sniffer, but will it pass visual with the explorer upper on there? Or is it fine as long as all the smog crap is hooked up??? I would really hate to be pissing away all this money on something I will have to turn around and take right back out!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts