Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
like THESE anyone know anyone running these? any opinions or thoughts? eventually i will run a set of StazWorks bead locks. but these will be nice dressing for the steelies i own.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
I hear (and keep in mind this is just hearsay) that it should be no problem for an experienced welder. I've also heard it's best to MIG or TIG them and they have to be sure it's a good solid bead cause they have to hold air (obviously). Anyway I looked at getting a set of those but since I don't have the wheels yet I'll prolly come out just as well to get me a set of Barts or Eatons...:shrug

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
these would just be for a while. i want a set of StazWorks civilian beadlocks like THESE ... same design as military, dual beadlock and your choice of centers. look in the vendors section of POR

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
my friend runs these ones. costs him like $40 each, and they work great!
he even sometimes leaves them on the jeep sometimes while its still on the road for a few days after trips before he switches to his daily driving tires. they run true, and surprzingly dont wobble to bad even considering there are Q78 bias plys on them

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
like which? the weld ons are like $60-$90 depending on wheel size. the stazworks are $200 each for my 16.5s. the weld on rings are just $80 for my size. little less for 15"s i believe. if you look in the posts there are links to the site for each with costs and options. the stazworks actually links to the POR vendors post and you can see the options for centers. i should buy one per paycheck. really thats a decent cost for that rim. 16.5x10 or 12 with spider web centers. the only thing is that the pattern dont look as good on 16.5s as the 20" i posted. remember, almost any pattern you want can be made for the centers.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
i am wondering if they are not going to try to outlaw these like they did the old 2 peice truck rims. atleast these look safer with all the added bolts, as i have heard many death horror stories with
the old two peice rims.

·
Raf is my Idol!!
1,364 Posts
I run the rock stomper one. I love them, but you do need an experienced welder, becasue they can leak. I have a small leak in one. Nothing that dont bother me, if it did I would take the tire off and silicone it. Also I highly recommend the counter sunk bolts.

No that tire did not go flat, I just let out more air then i thought.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
ya, the countersunk ones are nice. mine arent countersunk, but have a rolled bead lip on the edge to help protect them, and that lip is already getting the hell chewed out of it.
also look around for used ones.
i dropped $1000 for my 5 5 on 5.5 used. they were used, but never installed or ran, so basically they where new.
of course mine came with 5 new 38x12.50 15 TSL SX's on them, so i couldnt turn down the deal....

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
I'm told that the Rockstomper units aren't "dished" for the bead, so if you crank down on the bolts too much the lockring starts to lean in. I've never actually looked at the Rockstomper units up close, so I dunno. I have seen them in action on a buddy's CJ7 and they seem to work great, and he loves them. All in all seems like a great low-budget alternative. I'd personally start with a 7" wheel so you end up with something like a 9" wheel......just personal preference and of course it depends upon tire size

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yep, they call it coning...cone-ing? they say the bolts will hold 20 ft lbs, but say only to use 10ft lbs and no more. i will be using them on a 16.5 rim and 39's or 42's that i want to be about 15" wide so a standard 16.5x9.75 should do just fine. but after i think about it, i have one odd wheel i dont think i can match, so i would need to get a matching rim or a new set altogether. if thats the case i will skip these and just save for the StazWorks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts