Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any pics of knuckle removal/installation??

The knuckles are giving me a real PITA. I have soaked the castle nuts in PB blaster, but still can't move the inner castle nut..Do I need to heat it or just apply more muscle. I've used a half in breaker bar with added leverage from a length of pipe and still nothing. Thanks.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I could have the axle under my rig before doing the ball joints, but it's not going to happen. There's still way too much to do on it and I want to get the axle completely cleaned before I do the swap. I'll just hit those nuts with some more PB and hopefully that will do the trick.

·
Registered
643 Posts
quit with the pb, it doesnt werk.i heated mine red hot ,waited for them to cool and beta the living hell outa them. after a couple houres i had both knuckles off.a grinder helps too.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did another search, and found this, it's pretty helpful.

click here

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I got the knuckles off of both side, things are progressing a lot more smoothly now..

Hit it top and bottom with the separator, and..

·
Registered
643 Posts
ya mine looks like hell inside the tubes too.i just ran a rag wit laquer thinner on it thru and took care of most of it

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'm going to get the axle hot tanked. It shouldn't cost that much.

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
jermil01 said:
I think I'm going to get the axle hot tanked. It shouldn't cost that much.
That's a good ideal. How much do you think it'll cost?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good question, I need to find a place around here that does that sort of thing, any ideas??

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
jermil01 said:
Good question, I need to find a place around here that does that sort of thing, any ideas??
I know machine shops do engine blocks, but an axle? Maybe they can if their vat is big enough. I found an article about making your own once, but that's been awhile. It wasn't to bad to make useing an old cast iron bath tub from what I remember.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gub Ni, thanks for the heads up.I called around to a few machine shops hear in town, found one that will be able to do it. The guy said it would only be $10 bucks to run through the tank. Not a bad deal.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Can anyone tell me what a "hot tank" is? Do they just dunk your part in a vat of something that cleans it? Also, what all will this remove, ie paint, rust, or just dirt? Thanks.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nu_bronco said:
Can anyone tell me what a "hot tank" is? Do they just dunk your part in a vat of something that cleans it? Also, what all will this remove, ie paint, rust, or just dirt? Thanks.
That's pretty much what it does. From what I understand it is some sort of heated chemical solution that removes all of the crap, dirt and so forth. I am not sure about rust.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Installing the balljoint

I hate to drudge this up again, but I am now trying to reinstall the new ball joints on the knuckles. The manual says to start with the lower ball joint first, what am I doing wrong here?? do I need to push the ball joint in the same way they push out?? Help..

This is what I tried to do with no success.

I know I must have something backwards here.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I pushed them out, I pushed from the bottom up...but it looks like there is a bit of a difference between the old ball joints and the new ones..The bottom one definitely has to go in first per the manual. I'm pretty sure I have it the right way, installing the lower ball joint in the lower hole..I'll double check when I get home today, it would be f**ked up if I was trying to put the wrong one in.. :twak :brownbag

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you think a little bearing grease would help?? Or would that be bad?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts