Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is it, that I ALWAYS find these things out the hard way! :banghead

Past experience should have told me to fully research this before making the buy, but I didn't get into looking at the different CHOKES on the Quadrajets... Well it just so happens that the one I bought is a DIVORCED choke Q-jet, and I'm not so sure I'll be able to make it work with an aftermarket intake manifold... Anyone familiar with this, or know of an aftermarket kit of any kind to address this?

Why can't anything EVER be easy!!!!!!! :banghead

(I'll tell you why.... thats what I get for buying more Chevy parts....) :banghead :banghead :banghead

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I can take one when I get home this evening, but basically theres no choke on it, and theres a little vacuum operated do-hickey that I guess is for circulating the hot air to the remote mounted choke mechanism.... Its off of a 1970 Caddy.

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oldyeller said:
Nevermind, Found the kit JAh, Scroll down the page
http://www.carburetion.com/quadrajet.asp
I've seen that, been there a few times... thing is, its supposed to mount to the intake manifold, and most likely is designed to work by mounting it where the stock remote unit went. My Edelbrock Performer intake has no provisions for this.

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oldyeller said:
Stand by, I'm making a phone call, 460 right?
Yeah, 460 with Performer intake. Thanks brutha, hope you find something positive :thumbup

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts
OK jah, here goes. I spoke with MILO at pace performance. He pulled this part for me: http://www.paceparts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=23094

He says that this is designed to mount to the carb in place of the old divorced choke. The kit is set up in such a way that if you had the stock manifold you would need to make a block off plate for the stock manifold hole. So as far as I understand it, this is your part. But you should probably call them, their number is at the top of the page. Let me know if I got the info right.

Billy

EDIT: Year one lists it as part number B1932 on this page: http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/headline.asp?hid=826AY12258

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
Ya that looks like what you need, then it doesnt matter what intake you put it on.

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll give them a call, but I'm pretty sure thats for the Quads with integral hot air chokes, not divorced. Just looking at the pic of the part, you can tell there should be a housing for the coil to attach to, which there is on an integral hot air choke, but there is no provision whatsoever to attach that to on the divorced choke carb. Here is what I have found so far...

http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofcrb.htm

"Unfortunately, with the divorced choke setup, there is no housing on the carb into which you can install this electric conversion. The only choices in this case are: 1) Find a correct divorced choke coil 2) Install a manual choke 3) Install a later carb with an integral choke and use an electric conversion 4) Retrofit the original carb with an integral choke housing and then use an electric conversion (note that this will require a parts carb and still may not be possible). "

I guess I can live with a manual choke if I have to... :shrug

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts
JahWarrior said:
I'll give them a call, but I'm pretty sure thats for the Quads with integral hot air chokes, not divorced. Just looking at the pic of the part, you can tell there should be a housing for the coil to attach to, which there is on an integral hot air choke, but there is no provision whatsoever to attach that to on the divorced choke carb. Here is what I have found so far...

http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofcrb.htm

I guess I can live with a manual choke if I have to... :shrug
Well I told him it had a divorced choke, and he explained that if it was the stock manifold a block off plate would be necessary and that this kit would work with the "Divorced Choke Quadrajet" Give em a call, and manual chokes aint' bad either.

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oldyeller said:
Well I told him it had a divorced choke, and he explained that if it was the stock manifold a block off plate would be necessary and that this kit would work with the "Divorced Choke Quadrajet" Give em a call, and manual chokes aint' bad either.
If you look up that edelbrock part #, its for the EDL-1903 Quadrajet, which has an integral hot air choke, not for the divorced, which are EDL-1901 and 1902... So now I guess the question is, how do I convert this thing to manual choke?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
lawnmower throttle cable and switch.

or you can spend the mola and buy the kit.

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was wondering more about how to hook up the cable, as in do I need to change anything out on the carb? The way it is now it has a vacuum break. I'm not too familiar with this setup at all. :shrug

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"Sorry, registration has been disabled by the administrator." :banghead

Chevy dorks. :toothless

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I guess I'm gonna have to figure out how to modify this to work with a manual choke cable, but for now I'm just gonna get the sucker mounted. I got the Mr Gasket #1932 adapter kit and a thick carb gasket that should clearance the secondaries... gonna mount it in the normal position for now just to get it running, then I'll figure out the choke, and mounting it backwards.

Time to bundle up, its cold in the barn :cry

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Carb is mounted. Couldn't use the 1/4" gasket, cause the bolts that came with the adapter were too short. Will probably get some longer bolts and redo it, cause I'm pretty sure there will probably be some slight interference with the secondaries at WOT with the thin gasket. Still need to pull out the stock fuel filter (notorious for getting clogged up, PITA to change compared to inline), and put on a fuel inlet nipple for my rubber fuel line to clamp to (stock setup takes a flared steel line). Then just plug a few unused vacuum ports, and rig up the manual choke, and pray that this Chebby junk works :thumbup Debating running to parts store tonight, but doubtful (30 minutes one way).

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
so whats wrong with a manual choke. For stick people they are great as you can have it set a high idle and not use the gas and just work the clutch and brake.

BTW I could of informed ya before hand that the chokes were diff as i have the style on my fireturd. The parts stores sell the choke kits and they also sell jsut a cable to mock soething up

1 - 20 of 43 Posts