Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a 3br townhouse in NJ. It's brand new as of 2008 and I am the first owner of it. It's got central air of course but for some reason the master bedroom is always HOT and STUFFY. I bought a window unit a/c to help cool off the master br and it works well but during this time of year it cools down outside causing the compressor of the window unit to shut off. The central air won't kick on because where the thermostat is downstairs is very cool and comfortable. I've tried opening the windows but if there is no breeze, all you get is a BR full of pollen by morning and it's still hot. Any suggestions?

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,960 Posts
get out of jersey.

haha I had to

·
fishin' without dad
1,069 Posts
I would be willing to bet that the duct run coming to your room is way to long. Causing the air to not make the trip. Stupid question but have you verified the vent is open fully?

They make a portable air conditioner that is free standing and does not hang outside your bedroom. All you have to run outside is the drain tube or hang it down in a bucket.

If your place is new and you bought from the builder they ought to have a warranty of some sort. I would have their ass in court if it came to it because something wasn't done right. Have you contacted the builder?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Try choking down on the downstairs registers.Air is gonna follow the path of least resistance.While the place is new and still under warranty,raise hell with the builder.And check into mini split systems.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Heat rises. So upstairs will always be hotter. Block off your bedroom windows or use a reflective material. A fan in your room will make a huge difference. We bought an oscillating fan for our front room from Walmart last night for $30. It works great and makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All good suggestions but the rest of the upstairs is cool. I actually slept in the spare room last night and it was perfect. I was sweating in my own bed. I haven't contacted the builder yet but that is coming tomorrow. I'm going to send an e-mail over. I like the free standing air conditioners a lot but my wife isn't going to have it and they are EXPENSIVE. The vents are open. I'd close the downstairs vents but I don't know if that'll help as the master BR is the only hot room in the house. The ceiling fan is a good idea and I may go that route too.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
That or just get a freestanding fan.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I would get another HVAC company to inspect the system and test the flow through all the vents. It's either poorly designed or something is blocking the air flow inside the ducts. This way you have a professional diagnosis versus your seat of the pants opinon when the builder says there is nothing wrong.

Based on the fact that you say the other rooms are good upstairs I'm gonna lean on something obstructing the air flow.

Oh and I got out of NJ years ago and my AC has been great ever since....my wallet too.:toothless

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,060 Posts
Is the fan set to AUTO or ON? Normally the t-stat is near the return, so it gets a mix of air from the entire house while the system runs.

If it is set to AUTO, then the fan only blows when the t-stat is warm enough to call for cooling. In the cooler evening, it may not warm up enough at the t-stat to turn the system on, even though there are warm spots in the house.

If you haven't already, you might try setting the fan switch to ON at night, so the air is circulated & keeps the temperature more consistent throughout the house. It'll cost more to keep the fan running, but the system won't even try to cool unless the warm air is moved to the t-stat.

If it's warm in the room with the fan ON, then like ^ those guys said, it probably needs to be balanced to direct more air to the hot room. Sometimes there's dampers inline in the ducting in the attic or crawl space to balance the flow. Also check for crushed, pinched, or torn ducting to that room. Many HVAC guys run duct through the easiest path possible with no concern for access, & if other trades have followed with no concern for ducts in their path, damage is likely. It might be pumping your cool air into the attic. And yeah, have the builder do it if it's still within the time frame.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Since your in a townhouse, others will have the same floorplan- ask your neighbors if they have the same issue.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Are you getting airflow through the registers in the warm room? Like ElKabong said, if it's got flex duct,which it probably does,it might be crimped off.If the air handler is downstairs,like most townhomes,finding the blockage could be a PITA.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
I think a simple $7 box fan might be the most simple solution; that's what I did for my apartment, and I've found that I don't even have to use the a/c to keep it cool most days now. Just have to aim it correctly and experiment.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nah mayne, I've got a fan blowing right on me..I'm always hot so in this case, a regular fan doesn't help a whole lot. Other people in my complex have issues in random bedrooms, not always the master but there is a variety of floorplans believe it or not. I think it needs to be balanced, but I'm def. going to call the builder tomorrow and see what I can do. If I don't get anywhere w/ them I know a few HVAC guys so we'll see what they will charge me to get it rebalanced. The air coming out of the duct is cool when it's on but there is a hot attic right above too, but it's still too damn hot. Thanks for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it. My pregnant wife will too.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Eric, I didn't mean "point the fan in your face." I meant position it to get a convection-like current going. That way, cool air enters, hot air leaves. Sometimes, just making a path for hot air to leave works wonders. Mine sits up the hallway in the dining room. :thumbup

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
most times a box fan in your door way pointing inwards will create a nice flow. The cool air at floor level gets pushed into the room, displaces the warmer air upwards, and then it's only place to go is back out the top half of the door.

Like sigep said, experiment but it's pretty easy to get a heck of a current going if you think about what you're doing. The house I lived in in college we kept cool by keeping a draft going through the whole house (5 BR) via ONE box fan in an upstairs window pointing outwards and it's not like i was in colorado or arizona or anything, this was in mid-Missouri.

I followed the natural flow of the house, found out where it concentrated, and used a fan to boost what was already naturally occurring. Look up "chimney effect" for some pointers.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hah maybe get a vent fan of a firetruck..:) I will give that a try..Thanks!

·
Registered
641 Posts
I didn't read everything because I don't have time, but, is there cold air coming out of the vent and is it comparible to other vents in the house? Most new construction uses flex duct which is just insulation wrapped around wires in a plastic sheathing instead of metal duct work. Usually they just duct tape the flex duct to the vents and sometimes the tape fails and the flex duct slides off or the flex duct itself tears and seperates. Happened to me at my old house and we had the same symptoms in our bedroom. Some cold air was still coming out, but not like the rest of the house.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts