Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any way to tee the oil press sending unit to run the factory gauge and a aftermarket electrical guage or do I have to run a mechanical oil press gauge?
I'd rather run electric, I don't like mechanical guages

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,092 Posts
You can tee it and run whatever sendor you want. I run one electrical (factory) and one mechanical.

BTW I chose my aftermarket oil pressure to be mechanical because I know it's TRUE

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can tee it and run whatever sendor you want. I run one electrical (factory) and one mechanical.

BTW I chose my aftermarket oil pressure to be mechanical because I know it's TRUE
I'm having a brain fart lol the factory gauge is electrical correct? So how would I go about teeing in a electrical aftermarket gauge? Just run both wires to the same sender or do I have to run two different sending units?

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,092 Posts
I'm having a brain fart lol the factory gauge is electrical correct? So how would I go about teeing in a electrical aftermarket gauge? Just run both wires to the same sender or do I have to run two different sending units?
Perfect photo just found in another thread. And exactly what I did :thumbup

You have to run two different sendors

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok cool thanks, is it possible just to use the factory sending unit hole and install the aftermarket gauge's sending unit? The gauge I was looking at includes a 1/8 npt sender and a 1/4 not adapter

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,092 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you sorry for so many questions just trying to figure out a plan
Do you know what size threads are in the block?
Also the oil press sending unit is in the same location on my 351 Windsor correct?

Thanks again

Also just curious but can I do the same for the water temp too

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Ok cool thanks, is it possible just to use the factory sending unit hole and install the aftermarket gauge's sending unit? The gauge I was looking at includes a 1/8 npt sender and a 1/4 not adapter
Yes you can, but if you don't install the sender for your dash gauge it will be dead, if you don't mind a dead gauge then go for it.
The easiest way to do the temp sender is to buy a t-stat housing that has a hole drilled and tapped on top for a sender, its the easiest way to add a second sender

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can I tee the factory water temp sender with the other temp sender that goes in the intake?

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,092 Posts
Can I tee the factory water temp sender with the other temp sender that goes in the intake?
I tried that. It doesn't work very well. Very inaccurate readings. Buy a thermostat housing with the threaded port.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, yall are awesome on info, one last thing, what size is the threads in the block for the oil sender? And it's on the drivers side by the timing cover right?

·
Registered
754 Posts
If one wants to use the stock sender and an accurate aftermarket sender then get an adapter. Both my 72/5.0HO and my 96 5.8 have the angle adapter below.
Just about every Mustang racer has one because the aftermarket sender is too big to fit, thus an extender is needed.
You may have to clock the oil cooler in the case of the 5.8 and you will have to use red loctite on the adapter threads because when you get the adapter clocked correctly it may not be tight?
Let me help you with using Google.
Search for “ford pressure sender adapter” without the quotes
Angled
http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/c2oz-9b339-a.html
http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Oil-Pressure-Sending-Unit-Extension/productinfo/10150/
Put a tee on it and you have 2 senders. maybe use a 45 deg fitting as well?
Here is a 90 deg & straight combo version
http://www.spaturbousa.com/oil-feed-sensor-adapter-for-ford-1-4-npt/p

·
Registered
642 Posts
I tried that. It doesn't work very well. Very inaccurate readings. Buy a thermostat housing with the threaded port.
I've been wanting to do this for a while but cannot find a housing that has the threaded port. Any links? Thanks

·
Registered
959 Posts
99% sure the oil pressure boss on the block is 1/8" NPT.

I have no idea where to get the threaded thermostat housing, but you can buy an "in hose" coupler to put your sender in the upper radiator hose. I know that the housings with the boss for a sender do exist-- at least for BBF. My EFI 460 has a boss on the thermostat housing. I doubt it's factory, but I have no idea where it came from...

You could always make your own, you can buy aluminum weld on npt threaded bosses, then just drill a aluminum neck and tig one on. Also, a lot of the aftermarket "performance" necks look to have a thick enough casting that you might be able to just drill and tap.

Good Luck,
Jason

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,092 Posts
I've been wanting to do this for a while but cannot find a housing that has the threaded port. Any links? Thanks
Go to O'Riellys and ask for a thermostat housing. It should have the threaded port. That's how I bought mine.

·
Forward Some Money
5,044 Posts
If I were to add a second gauge, I would add a mechanical. I like mechanical gauges over electrical, but electrical are generally easier to run. Most of my experience has been with Auto Meter, so it might not be accurate compared to other brands.

If you run a mechanical, toss the plastic line and use either a brass line or a braided line. Nothing like having a plastic line leak all over your carpet.

Water temp gauges, like Auto Meter, include a capillary tube that "feeds" the gauge.

The block, and adapters, for the oil pressure gauge are pipe thread. You can go to your local hardware store and generally find everything you'd ever need to plumb it away from obstructions. Some of the older 289/302s have a long octagonal tube that is sturdy and easier to work with and exits at a 45 degree angle.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,307 Posts
You said it J.R

Got me everathang I needed at Home Depot plumbing dept. That is to say everathang whot didn't come in the mechanical gauge kit.

Sixlitre

1 - 18 of 18 Posts