Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,396 Posts
Had one on a 76 ramcharger fully removable to the glass. Down side two years and the glass (plastic) was all scratched to shit and after four years it was failing in the seams and the clear plastic (glass) started cracking while rolling it up.

·
Resident Nice Guy
2,246 Posts
I'd love to have a soft top, flexing be damned.

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
y'all are welcome to come over and take my bronco for a spin. then take off my bumpers amd take it for another spin. and then put them back on. and then make a decision for yourself.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,396 Posts
y'all are welcome to come over and take my bronco for a spin. then take off my bumpers amd take it for another spin. and then put them back on. and then make a decision for yourself.
Lucky for you you ain’t in Oregon or I’d take ya up on that offer. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,146 Posts
I know you don't gloss over stuff or b.s., so I'm not doubting your take. It just doesn't make sense to me -- I'm no expert on the matter, but I do have an engineering background -- so I'm thinking there's some other factor in play that your bumper change(s) addressed.

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
I know you don't gloss over stuff or b.s., so I'm not doubting your take. It just doesn't make sense to me -- I'm no expert on the matter, but I do have an engineering background -- so I'm thinking there's some other factor in play that your bumper change(s) addressed.
i take no offense...i just don't know how to scientifically justify what i definitely felt change when the bumpers were added.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Being that mine is a cruiser and not my every day truck, I don’t keep anything in it. Besides if I get the soft topper, I will probably keep the sides and back rolled up.

I’m curious how water tight the soft topper is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They are not completely water tight. Mine is a cruiser and I love the soft top but it’s a little involved as far as setting it up and down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had mine for about 12 years. It is the thinner material. I had to have the seams restiched a few years ago. I think the newer ones are thicker. I still have the hard top (I'll never put it back on). I do think I'll get a new one this year. I haven't had any problems with flex. I did add bumpers and roll cage (needed for back seatbelts) when I originally added top. I keep it in the garage now, so the top usually stays down for a season. Looks great with the cage.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just got a soft topper over in Baldwin county (gulf coast lower AL) and it’s been great so far. Definitely recommend the tinted windows(about 20-30% tint is my guess) Good purchase for summer

·
Registered
1988 FSB, 351W, Towing Package
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I just got a soft topper over in Baldwin county (gulf coast lower AL) and it’s been great so far. Definitely recommend the tinted windows(about 20-30% tint is my guess) Good purchase for summer
I’m in Baldwin county too! Small world. Good deal

I’ll have to keep an eye out for your bronco

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a Rampage soft top a about a year ago while rebuilding my 91, only to find out I would have to drill a lot of holes and basically use sheet metal screws to secure it. I didn't think fondly of this if I wanted to run the hard top in the future. I even looked at making some attachment brackets so it would secure at the original topper bolt points, but had no luck there. Research and other owners tell me the newer top from Soft Topper bolts directly to the same hard top points. After hearing that, I shelved the without even installing the Rampage and am switching to SoftTopper. If you care about how its attached that might be worth the consideration know.

·
Super Moderator
14,772 Posts
I bought a Rampage soft top a about a year ago while rebuilding my 91, only to find out I would have to drill a lot of holes and basically use sheet metal screws to secure it. I didn't think fondly of this if I wanted to run the hard top in the future. I even looked at making some attachment brackets so it would secure at the original topper bolt points, but had no luck there. Research and other owners tell me the newer top from Soft Topper bolts directly to the same hard top points. After hearing that, I shelved the without even installing the Rampage and am switching to SoftTopper. If you care about how its attached that might be worth the consideration know.
Yes, the softopper is a completely bolt on set up. Absolutely no drilling.

·
Super Moderator
14,772 Posts
I see the SoftTopper has the option for a mesh screen rear- has anyone tried this?
I guess if you weren't driving that would be fine..otherwise, you're going to suck exhaust fumes into the cab..that's not a problem with the entire top up..

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
I guess if you weren't driving that would be fine..otherwise, you're going to suck exhaust fumes into the cab..that's not a problem with the entire top up..
how is the mesh different than having the back window open? it should only be an issue with a rear exhaust instead of the factory side outlet exhaust

·
Super Moderator
14,772 Posts
i db
how is the mesh different than having the back window open? it should only be an issue with a rear exhaust instead of the factory side outlet exhaust
It's not really, but even when I had a hard top I never rode around with the back open, I could always smell exhaust. Funny because I had switched to a rear exit then put it back to side because the smell was so bad..maybe its just my rig because I don't have cats, but every now with the side exit I can still catch a whiff of exhaust..you can see from the pics the soft top doesn't seal much back there.

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
i db

It's not really, but even when I had a hard top I never rode around with the back open, I could always smell exhaust. Funny because I had switched to a rear exit then put it back to side because the smell was so bad..maybe its just my rig because I don't have cats, but every now with the side exit I can still catch a whiff of exhaust..you can see from the pics the soft top doesn't seal much back there.

the lack of cats is probably a factor. when i had the hard shell i rolled around with the back window open all the time. then i switched to the soft top and regularly open the back window panel. neither of those scenarios would result in exhaust smells. but now that i have one smaller cat instead of the two OEM cats, i do smell some exhaust with the side exit. and when i open all the panels i probably smell it even more , although it's always very fleeting.

when it's all closed i dont' smell anything.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,718 Posts
Softtopper owners. what do you guys do with the metal bar at the back, when you roll up all the sides on a whim?
I have not found good place to put this if out in Bronco, and then decide to put sides up.
Do you just leave that piece out most of the time?

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT 351W with C6, manual locking hubs. 6” suspension lift with 35” Cooper tires
322 Posts
the lack of cats is probably a factor. when i had the hard shell i rolled around with the back window open all the time. then i switched to the soft top and regularly open the back window panel. neither of those scenarios would result in exhaust smells. but now that i have one smaller cat instead of the two OEM cats, i do smell some exhaust with the side exit. and when i open all the panels i probably smell it even more , although it's always very fleeting.

when it's all closed i dont' smell anything.
My 89 has no cats with dual flowmaster 40’s and are ran out of the side and when I roll the back window down it will choke you bad. With the top off it’s not too bad

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Softtopper owners. what do you guys do with the metal bar at the back, when you roll up all the sides on a whim?
I have not found good place to put this if out in Bronco, and then decide to put sides up.
Do you just leave that piece out most of the time?

I open that up when driving and close when I get home so regularly, I often leave the bar in place. If I do I make sure to roll the panel up tightly.

Otherwise I take it out and stick it in the back or every now and then I'll leave it at home.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts