Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Bronco Master
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done with a mini marathon of Bronco wrenching that I've been putting off since August. I replaced the fuel injectors, fuel pressure regulator, valve cover gaskets, motor mounts, etc. I found that the upper manifold is cracked above the bolt near cylinder #8. I tried the JB weld route for a temporary solution, but while torquing the bolts to 16 ft/lb it let go (It held fine at 12 ft/lb). For now I smeared some RTV over the crack just to get the truck going.

The diaphram on the fuel pressure regulator had ruptured and fuel was flowing into the manifold, making the truck run rich enough that it wouldn't idle. This might explain why it failed emissions in August :doh0715:

Does anyone local have an extra upper manifold for a 302? Since this one broke should I look for something else to replace it with?

Thanks,

Mitch

·
Bronco Master
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I meant to respond to your e-mail, but I've been so f-ing busy that it slipped my mind. I'm going to Tucson later today for work Monday and Tuesday, also towing the Bronco to go get it smogged there (fails the fuel tank pressurization test and NOX emissions here in phx).

Mitch

·
Registered
119 Posts
can you just get a new cap for the fuel tank? BTW throw some denatured alcohal in the fuel to pass. its a trick ive used for years. i use about 1gal D.A. for every 10 gals of fuel. not exact but it will work, its worked on many cars personally.

·
Bronco Master
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It isn't the cap that is failing, but the tank itself. They pressurize it to 1/2 psi for 1 minute. If there is any bleed of pressure it fails as the system isn't sealed. They screw a probe into the filler neck and clamp off the vapor line in the front near the battery. They also busted my balls for not having a canister purge solenoid and lines hooked up, but in 87 the Bronco had no such solenoid. My thought was to remove the filler neck from the tank and stuff a golf ball in the line to seal it, so as long as the filler neck and vent didn't leak it would pass. Phoenix emissions is BS. Tucson has different standards and a different test.

With the amount I drive my Bronco annually (maybe 1000 miles, this year was less than 400, but it was broke for a while) it should be emissions exempt.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have one that was likely going to the recycler. I just pulled the entire engine out of my '86 Bronco and replaced it with one from a donor f150; I hydro-locked it on Memorial Day. Ironically, I just flew to Tucson and interviewed for a job iand it is possible that I may be moving there by the end of the month. If things work out I will bring it with me on the first trip out and we can work out a deal. I can also ship it to you if you need it sooner.

·
Registered
119 Posts
damn that sucks. yeah they just check your cap hear. if you come down go the extra mile and come to the one off of valencia and I-19. super quick and easy there. check your cap, visual (they dont know what to look for, only worried about cats and muffler) and then get on the rollers. i have a 96 so no smog for me, just obdII check =)

·
Bronco Master
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The truck passed emissions today. HC numbers were 36 ppm loaded, 112 ppm idle, max allowable is 220 ppm. CO was 0.00% for both.

The RTV failed before I loaded it on the trailer. I got some JB quik and smeared it over the crack just for emissions. It still had a slight leak (I could hear it, and the vac gauge read 17 lbs instead of the usual 19 lb at idle), but it ran well enough for the sniffer. At least I can register it now...

Johnorama,

I called a buddy of mine with a yard, he told me he'd hook me up with one, I'll let you know if it doesn't happen.

Thanks,

Mitch

1 - 8 of 8 Posts